Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

7 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

The idea of people race baiting for their basketball team to be complete is disgusting. Even if it is in jest. 

We are all frustrated. But come one.

Is it really race baiting?  I think it is foolish to think race isn't playing a big role in this.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I’ve seen it all now. MAGA Bobby seeking out connections to BLM protesters to force SLU’s hand to make a decision about basketball players.

They are also students at Saint Louis University and I think anyone holding a degree from this school ought to be interested in seeking justice for them, as I’m sure you are too, DeSmet. Regardless of outcome. If there are additional voices that could be heard, let’s give them a platform. Force the issue. I think the waiting game on this has reached a crescendo. 

This has gone on for so long the school is not going to cave in now.  They were getting pressure from behind the scene for some time is my guess.  At this point all we really can do is wait it out.  Hopefully they will bring it to a conclusion in about a week.  The other thing I would caution some about is you say all you want is a decision but if it does not come out the way you want you will be bitching about that.  Outrage can only work to a point so save your powder.

Just now, cheeseman said:

The other thing I would caution some about is you say all you want is a decision but if it does not come out the way you want you will be bitching about that.  

As a person who only cares about winning.... I will accept the decision either way.... Kick em out, or let em play.... no grey area here 

41 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

As a person who only cares about winning.... I will accept the decision either way.... Kick em out, or let em play.... no grey area here 

Why do some of you insist that there's no middle ground?  SLU's sexual misconduct policy provides for a number of sanctions:

Sanctions for Students for a violation of this policy may include:

o   expulsion;

o   suspension;

o   disciplinary probation;

o   mandated counseling assessment which may include

§  anger management course(s),

§  alcohol and/or drug education program(s),

§  and other requirements based upon the counseling assessment;

o   restrictions on campus privileges including restrictions on campus housing or participation in student activities;

o   community service;

o   and/or other education sanctions.

(Formatting mine.)

It seems the 5th item has already been in force while the investigation has been underway.  Presuming they've violated the conduct code, couldn't we hope for no worse than counseling, given the nature of the infraction?  It doesn't have to be expulsion or suspension.

52 minutes ago, Billboy1 said:

Rosenbloom needs to act in some manner-this is not going to turn out well for the school.The decision cannot be allowed to go into 2018!

I keep coming back to the reality that Rosenbloom hasn't gone nuclear on SLU with press conferences, etc. is that the preliminary results and hearings (I forgot which round of appeals they are on right now) have been favorable to the players and it's just a matter of time before it's finalized to his satisfaction. If the results were in and it was guaranteed to be bad, he'd be pulling out the publicity gun big-time.

1 hour ago, 615Billiken said:

The idea of people race baiting for their basketball team to be complete is disgusting. Even if it is in jest. 

We are all frustrated. But come one.

+1

This is getting absurd.  Pretty sad to see. People will use race to further whatever agenda they want.  We get it.  You want to win games and using race is an easy out. Just cause you want a better basketball team doesnt mean that we should be calling Pestello a racist and trying to bring national attention to an issue that is not there. 

milwaukeebill likes this

30 minutes ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

+1

This is getting absurd.  Pretty sad to see. People will use race to further whatever agenda they want.  We get it.  You want to win games and using race is an easy out. Just cause you want a better basketball team doesnt mean that we should be calling Pestello a racist and trying to bring national attention to an issue that is not there. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/09/the-question-of-race-in-campus-sexual-assault-cases/539361/

Janet Halley, a professor at Harvard Law School and a self-described feminist, is one of the few people who have publicly addressed the role of race in campus sexual assault. Interracial assault allegations, she notes, are a category that bears particular scrutiny. In a 2015 Harvard Law Review article, “Trading the Megaphone for the Gavel in Title IX Enforcement,” she writes, “American racial history is laced with vendetta-like scandals in which black men are accused of sexually assaulting white women,” followed eventually by the revelation “that the accused men were not wrongdoers at all."

2 hours ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

They are also students at Saint Louis University and I think anyone holding a degree from this school ought to be interested in seeking justice for them, as I’m sure you are too, DeSmet. Regardless of outcome. If there are additional voices that could be heard, let’s give them a platform. Force the issue. I think the waiting game on this has reached a crescendo. 

If you are seeking to force a particular outcome without knowing all the facts, it is not “justice”you are after.

Troll

ACE likes this

13 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/09/the-question-of-race-in-campus-sexual-assault-cases/539361/

Janet Halley, a professor at Harvard Law School and a self-described feminist, is one of the few people who have publicly addressed the role of race in campus sexual assault. Interracial assault allegations, she notes, are a category that bears particular scrutiny. In a 2015 Harvard Law Review article, “Trading the Megaphone for the Gavel in Title IX Enforcement,” she writes, “American racial history is laced with vendetta-like scandals in which black men are accused of sexually assaulting white women,” followed eventually by the revelation “that the accused men were not wrongdoers at all."

"Here is an article that has nothing to do with this specific Slu situation, from a self proclaimed feminist with a clear agenda. I just like to make excuses because I don't like this process."  

Hey 3 star... glad you can tell me the race of the girls... guess you know who the girls are?

i called it when this news first broke. This process would only end in racism being shouted regardless of the outcome.  Pestello is a racist, that's rich 😂😂😂....This board has been toxic for years, but now it is just too much.

HoosierBilliken likes this

10 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

There certainly could be an underlying racial component with how the females involved have reacted, but that does not mean that how the administration is handling the investigation is racist.

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

There certainly could be an underlying racial component with how the females involved have reacted, but that does not mean that how the administration is handling the investigation is racist.

If I'm the boys' lawyer I'm willing to let a court decide that.  I would want to know all about how Anna Kratky's office handles issues involving black men.

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

I keep coming back to the reality that Rosenbloom hasn't gone nuclear on SLU with press conferences, etc. is that the preliminary results and hearings (I forgot which round of appeals they are on right now) have been favorable to the players and it's just a matter of time before it's finalized to his satisfaction. If the results were in and it was guaranteed to be bad, he'd be pulling out the publicity gun big-time.

Unfortunately, there is continual harm being done to his clients without a decision-the more time the more harm. if things are favorable then speak out.

Didn't Gardner say they received it around the 19th but the Saint Louis U side decided to wait until after break to discuss it with the attorneys?

I think this is info we already knew but I can't keep any if this straight anymore so if anyone knows better fill me in.

2 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Didn't Gardner say they received it around the 19th but the Saint Louis U side decided to wait until after break to discuss it with the attorneys?

I think this is info we already knew but I can't keep any if this straight anymore so if anyone knows better fill me in.

Doesn't this tweet say the lawyers have received? So that would be different from Gardner's from a while back saying that it is completed. Like the next step.

16 minutes ago, Billboy1 said:

So make a decision now-no excuses

Nope, that is not what is about to happen. If I understand the process, the lawyers on both sides will jockey around with appeals and negotiations trying to get the best deals for their clients. The difference is that now they have a solid point of reference, they know what the recommendations in the report are, now comes the process of trying to get a less onerous sanction for their clients. This can take some time still.