Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that the University is closing with no resolution is more evidence that there's no urgency on SLU's part. I agree with the earlier sentiments that leadership should have been burning the midnight oil to get some resolution to keep donors (read: basketball fans) donating. There are so many rumors and innuendo flying around, one would think that Dr. Pestello would want to get in front of some of it. If the players committed sexual assault, wouldn't the SLPD have done a little more? 

The fact that Title IX has never been enforced at its highest level is another maddening thing. 

The players and the accusers deserve a fair proceeding, but at some point there has to be an answer given. The social justice warriors will protest either way (SLU is OK with rape or they unfairly prosecute male students), so there's not a legitimate way to make everyone happy. 

On a peripheral note, I feel bad for Travis trying to recruit...you know every kid we talk to with other offers is hearing this: "Look how SLU treats their athletes. Do you want to go there?"

5 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

@Old guy, they're accusing Pestello, metaphorically, of, um, raping (or violating) the accused student athletes.

When I was young I could have had heroic fantasies like the ones this guy (Gravilst) is having. However I grew up and paid in lumps and disappointments for the experience I have now. What this guy is saying is infantile unqualified bull_hit in so many words. There are absolutely no advantages in following this road.  Indeed it will produce results that will go against what you want to accomplish. This guy has to LEARN the real value of kissing ass within a hierarchical structure before coming out with guns blazing like that. I just put this prepubescent ass_ole (Gravilst) in ignore status. And it is absolutely true that the University has no sense of urgency in solving this issue.

37 minutes ago, Old guy said:

When I was young I could have had heroic fantasies like the ones this guy is having. However I grew up and paid in lumps and disappointments for the experience I have now. What this guy is saying is infantile unqualified bull_hit in so many words. There are absolutely no advantages in following this road.  Indeed it will produce results that will go against what you want to accomplish. This guy has to LEARN the real value of kissing ass within a hierarchical structure before coming out with guns blazing like that. I just put this prepubescent ass_ole in ignore status. And it is absolutely true that the University has no sense of urgency in solving this issue.

200w.gif

24 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Does SLU shut down for the holidays?  Sure there are no classes but ALL offices actually shut down?

Yes. I’m sure there are some things that don’t totally shut down (maintenance, perhaps basic services for the few students that don’t go home, some basic security). But the university doesn’t operate. Administrators come back January 2nd, at least in the Presidents office.

Even though he put me on block....LOL @old guy.  I didn't make the Twitter comment...I just cut and pasted it here because I find it funny....as most likely many do who have a sense of humor.   Certain people should just not be allowed to have internet....especially when they get butt hurt so easily. 

On 12/23/2017 at 8:26 AM, DeSmetBilliken said:

I just want to make sure I’m understanding you here. Is it your understanding that 2 of the 3 women making the accusations have recanted their accusations? 

When the holdout chick loses, I want to see her name released.  Sling mud, you better hang around and take yours.

teamarete and NextYearBill like this

On 12/23/2017 at 8:13 PM, 615Billiken said:

Yes. I’m sure there are some things that don’t totally shut down (maintenance, perhaps basic services for the few students that don’t go home, some basic security). But the university doesn’t operate. Administrators come back January 2nd, at least in the Presidents office.

Anyone who’s work revolves around students shuts down.  Anyone involved in research or its administration keeps going.  I have to think that recruiting keeps going, and alumni development keeps going.  The office of general counsel and its subsidiaries should also still be at the school, since there are important decisions they have to provide guidance over. I have to think the executive administration is still there, but who knows.

Maybe somebody can explain something to me.

Why do you think that SLU owes fans an explanation of where they are in this investigation?

Where in SLU's own bylaws does it say that they will make public on an ongoing basis updates as to where the investigation is in the process?

Where in the Title IX bylaws does it state that the investigators will update where they are in investigations?

Do criminal proceedings update the public on an ongoing basis as to what they have found during investigations?

15 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Why do you think that SLU owes fans an explanation of where they are in this investigation?

Where in SLU's own bylaws does it say that they will make public on an ongoing basis updates as to where the investigation is in the process?

Where in the Title IX bylaws does it state that the investigators will update where they are in investigations?

Do criminal proceedings update the public on an ongoing basis as to what they have found during investigations?

where in SLU bylaws does it state alumni must donate money and attend basketball games?... quid pro quo 

16 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

1. Their is no criminal proceedings.  

2. Sure they don't have to update where they are but they should explain why they are now 30 days past deadline.

3. When all leaks and rumors indicate everything is in the players favor and the process continues to be delayed with no apparent sense of urgency if they don't explain why and where things stand then to NOT expect outrage and impatience is nothing short of either stupidity or arrogance or both.  

Make a decision.

Count me now in the group of no more donations.   For the first time since 1988 I am questioning "Why do you have season tickets?"

jimbofive and HenryB like this

It's not a matter of SLU being "required" to do anything; they don't have to say anything and apparently there is no timeline that they have to get anything done by. But SLU, and particularly SLU leadership, should be very worried about the sh!tstorm of negative goodwill they are developing because of how they handled this. Right now its most basketball fans and internet people, but it has the chance to explode if the mainstream media picks up the scent that 3 African American males are being railroaded by Fred and Co.

13 minutes ago, kshoe said:

It's not a matter of SLU being "required" to do anything; they don't have to say anything and apparently there is no timeline that they have to get anything done by. But SLU, and particularly SLU leadership, should be very worried about the sh!tstorm of negative goodwill they are developing because of how they handled this. Right now its most basketball fans and internet people, but it has the chance to explode if the mainstream media picks up the scent that 3 African American males are being railroaded by Fred and Co.

What would it take for some of us to pass along that information to the group that surrounded the clock tower? Anyone with any influence or voice that would resonate? I think that would be a good thing in embarrassing Pestello. 

1 minute ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

What would it take for some of us to pass along that information to the group that surrounded the clock tower? Anyone with any influence or voice that would resonate? I think that would be a good thing in embarrassing Pestello. 

Cure might be worse than the disease....

6 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Let's turn it up a notch and turn this s*** storm into a s*** hurricane. 

Al+Sharpton+Jesse+Jackson+MLB+Beacon+Awards+FeHrtaSEebLl.jpg

Bobby Metzinger likes this

37 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

The idea of people race baiting for their basketball team to be complete is disgusting. Even if it is in jest. 

We are all frustrated. But come one.

39 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Cure might be worse than the disease....

Well, if it’s coming down to this, exhausting all possible scenarios is unfortunately an avenue worth exploring. 

41 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

I’ve seen it all now. MAGA Bobby seeking out connections to BLM protesters to force SLU’s hand to make a decision about basketball players.

4 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

The idea of people race baiting for their basketball team to be complete is disgusting. Even if it is in jest. 

4 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

Its not a matter of a basketball team being complete, though. It’s about a process being completely unfair to these kids. No one is baiting here, it’s about the optics and what everyone associated with the program is seeing and that is a process that has taken its sweet time to complete. Like Roy has been saying from the beginning “make a decision.”