New Soccer Coach???

Billy Ken

55 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I posted earlier regarding a rumor but nothing official has come down. If something happens you won’t have to ask it’ll be here.

I heard earlier that the plan was for announcement today. Obviously that could have been wrong or something could have changed since then.  

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Is it strange to announce a coach as a Friday news dump?

Is anything SLU does normal?  They announced Majerus was hired on Friday and held the press conference the following Monday.  Majerus was on the court on Saturday running individual workouts for the players.

i wouldnt doubt if we havent effectively killed the entire athletic department.   we seriously should consider D3 at this point likely.   better get some killer country and rap concerts lined up to replace the basketball games at chaifetz.   dont need that big building anymore

Billy Ken likes this

D3 is a very reasonable path for the school to pursue.  It will be a long while until interest comes back.  It sounds like a few season ticket holders since the late 60s and early 70s are strongly considering stopping (and those are just the older people that I know).

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

We  shouldn't give a crap about the soccer coach, there won't be enough money in the athletic departments budget to effectively fund the program.

Those NCAA MBB credits start peeling off this year at $300 k a year and following 2 years. $900k total gone in three years. We aren't going to tournament anytime soon. 

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Is this a good hire? 

I guess we know why they didn’t make the announcement yesterday.  I think it is a good hire.  I don’t think he takes the job if  the resources are not going to be there for him to succeed.  It means that WWT money will be backing the program and that is a good thing, because money just got tighter for the rest of the athletic department.

TheChosenOne likes this

I don't know much about the landscape of college soccer, so perhaps my comment is misguided and meaningless. But I looked through SIUE's schedule and results during his tenure and it appears that Kalish was able to get big name schools to play him, and he was able to get some wins against some big name schools (Virginia Tech comes to mind). 

I don't know the who's who of college soccer, VT might be terrible, but getting big schools to play you regularly at SIUE and getting a few wins against them every now and them is impressive on the surface. 

Welcome aboard!

Will someone with some soccer knowledge explain why this is a good hire? While looking at Kalish record at SIUE I couldn’t help but notice he was 49-46. Looking at this record and the fact he hasn’t coached in 5 years this looks like a really poor hire. Could someone please talk some sense into me why this hire makes sense?

1 hour ago, BillsBeliever said:

Will someone with some soccer knowledge explain why this is a good hire? While looking at Kalish record at SIUE I couldn’t help but notice he was 49-46. Looking at this record and the fact he hasn’t coached in 5 years this looks like a really poor hire. Could someone please talk some sense into me why this hire makes sense?

Kalish's record at SIUE was during the transition to D-1.  Not easy to move up a level and be over .500.

He has a solid coaching resume and he has connections with local and national recruiting.  It isn't a homerun but it is probably a better hire than McGinty.

1 hour ago, BillsBeliever said:

Kalish first year at SIUE was their first year back at D1.  He built the program as the program as a D1 program. His players went to the NCAA tournament’s second round the season after he left, won the MVC the next season and then went to the sweet 16

Good to get St Louis guy.  Good to get guy who had less with SIUE and built a competitive D1 program.  Good to get a former SLU player who is not part of the older “but we won 10 championships damnit” SLU soccer generation but understands the level/commitment required and needed to compete as SLU should year end and year out.  Good to get guy with direct ties to very successful, former SLU players who may seek to support the program even more with Kalish leading.  Good to someone who has been directly involved with high level local players within high level club program.

I wish him luck, hope he can turn things around, hope his Xs and Os are solid, and hope he brings the program back to a competitive level.

18 hours ago, brianstl said:

Kalish first year at SIUE was their first year back at D1.  He built the program as the program as a D1 program. His players went to the NCAA tournament’s second round the season after he left, won the MVC the next season and then went to the sweet 16

+1

18 hours ago, SLUBALLS said:

Good to get St Louis guy.  Good to get guy who had less with SIUE and built a competitive D1 program.  Good to get a former SLU player who is not part of the older “but we won 10 championships damnit” SLU soccer generation but understands the level/commitment required and needed to compete as SLU should year end and year out.  Good to get guy with direct ties to very successful, former SLU players who may seek to support the program even more with Kalish leading.  Good to someone who has been directly involved with high level local players within high level club program.

I wish him luck, hope he can turn things around, hope his Xs and Os are solid, and hope he brings the program back to a competitive level.

+1

And to futrher add, Kalish is not only a former St. Louisan and successful player but he has real coaching experience, including that as a head coach both at D1 college and elsewhere.

And Kalish has not been out of coaching for the past 5 years - but instead, has been the U19 coach/director of Scott Gallagher's elite players and thereby working with/coaching boys with high level talent, many who stopped playing high school soccer and some who frankly are looking to play at higher levels than college soccer, basically as a development or feeder program for the USMNT.

Billy Ken likes this