New Soccer Coach???

Billy Ken

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/4/2018 at 1:17 AM, Billikenswin said:

The folks at the med school are working hard to correct the paperwork and curriculum issues and are on track to get off probabation. But the untold story is that the school is doing very well with excellent applicants in large numbers, outstanding students and graduates who are receiving prestigious placements. The new $500M hospital and ambulatory care center are under construction and considerable new development will take place across the entire new Redevelopment area which was approved by the Board of A with SLU as the developer.

Well lets be honest, as long as it is accredited the medical school will have a large number of excellent applicants - every accredited medical school does and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. And the kids that don't get into any will go down to the Caribbean and 'test' their way back to the US (or go to chiro or dental school). The medical degree isn't a social work degree or even law school, there's always going to be a huge number of great applicants fighting for a few places.

1 hour ago, William Iken said:

Well lets be honest, as long as it is accredited the medical school will have a large number of excellent applicants - every accredited medical school does and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. And the kids that don't get into any will go down to the Caribbean and 'test' their way back to the US (or go to chiro or dental school). The medical degree isn't a social work degree or even law school, there's always going to be a huge number of great applicants fighting for a few places.

Agree with students but it's a different story with attracting top faculty and research grants.

The problem is with the credentialing of faculty at the new affiliated teaching hospitals that replaced the Tenet owned hospitals, they need to resolve this as soon as possible or it can do irreparable harm to the Med School. Something similar happened here in Atlanta when Tenet pulled out several hospitals here. SLU should never signed a deal with a for-profit hospital chain, for-profit just does not mix well with academic medicine.  

3 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Agree with students but it's a different story with attracting top faculty and research grants.

The problem is with the credentialing of faculty at the new affiliated teaching hospitals that replaced the Tenet owned hospitals, they need to resolve this as soon as possible or it can do irreparable harm to the Med School. Something similar happened here in Atlanta when Tenet pulled out several hospitals here. SLU should never signed a deal with a for-profit hospital chain, for-profit just does not mix well with academic medicine.  

So for profit has trouble meeting the mission of non profit activities is what you are really saying - I agree fully.

Again, how to you fire a coach and not have the replacement ready to go? I've heard from connected soccer alumni, the next coach is still coaching in college cup. Ok. Guess that didn't pan out. AD is getting big time coach. Still waiting. We are hiring alum who is head coach. He said NO. Something is not right and I'm sorry two months is embarrassing. Just waiting to hear, we originally wanted a head coach, but after meeting this assistant coach from fill in the blank: Louisiville, UNC, Akron, blah, blah, blah....he was our guy all along. Hope I'm wrong but the way this has dragged, I think I'll be right. Here's hoping for the best and a big surprise. I'll be happy to eat my words!

615Billiken likes this

7 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Hiring good coaches is all about fostering solid relationships, and I just don't believe that Chris May has that ability. All I've ever heard about our AD is that he loves to snub people if he doesn't think you're important enough.  

Like when you try to tell the guy hang in there at a game and he looks through you and doesn't even acknowledge your presence. Then gives you a look like, get the hell out of my way. He might have some type of social disability I think, not trying to be mean. It was so bizarre. After telling about my experience to other people, friends, alumni, it's a pattern for sure. Not good for that type of job. He very well could be a good man, just shouldn't be in a job where your main role is dealing with people and general public.

I think it is obvious now that SLU thought the job was much more attractive than it actually is.  Don't get me wrong, the name still carries some cache. But, to hire the guys they thought they could get requires a commitment of resources to the program outside of the coach's salary that SLU at this point isn't willing to make.  The people making the decision were stunned by this and obviously don't know what they want to do now.

Maybe they will find a way to put resources into the program that would make one of the guys that said they were no longer interested become interested in the job again.

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think it is obvious now that SLU thought the job was much more attractive than it actually is.  Don't get me wrong, the name still carries some cache. But, to hire the guys they thought they could get requires a commitment of resources to the program outside of the coach's salary that SLU at this point isn't willing to make.  The people making the decision were stunned by this and obviously don't know what they want to do now.

Maybe they will find a way to put resources into the program that would make one of the guys that said they were no longer interested become interested in the job again.

Well said, if this whole experience isn't a reality check on various levels I don't know what is. Good post!

7 minutes ago, TheGrandLife said:

I mean I get you aren't going to attract top level HC that will leave. But there isn't a bright upcoming Asst coach who would take this job? 

The thing is there are top head coaches that would be more than happy to come back to the area. But they aren’t going to come if they aren’t going to get the support required 

There was not a lot of soccer turnover in coaches this year according to Soccer America (10 changeovers) and currently only SLU and St. Francis PA are without coaches (and St. Francis PA has an official interim in place).  Of the 10 coaching searches, 5 have gone with  assistants (none of their destinations are established programs but other than one internal hire the 4 assistants were from big programs).  Notre Dame got Dartmouth's excellent coach to come home (and he could stand in for ND's mascot).  Seton Hall got a D-II coach.  Penn State with MLS assistant/USL guy (this model worked great for UMass so far).

I will say that a head coach has to start somewhere but college assistant to successful head coach has not been as big a group as in basketball.   Many college coaches first coaching job is head coach.

19 hours ago, kwyjibo said:

There was not a lot of soccer turnover in coaches this year according to Soccer America (10 changeovers) and currently only SLU and St. Francis PA are without coaches (and St. Francis PA has an official interim in place).  Of the 10 coaching searches, 5 have gone with  assistants (none of their destinations are established programs but other than one internal hire the 4 assistants were from big programs).  Notre Dame got Dartmouth's excellent coach to come home (and he could stand in for ND's mascot).  Seton Hall got a D-II coach.  Penn State with MLS assistant/USL guy (this model worked great for UMass so far).

I will say that a head coach has to start somewhere but college assistant to successful head coach has not been as big a group as in basketball.   Many college coaches first coaching job is head coach.

Surprised Clark left ND - riding off into the sunset with a National Championship under his belt. Riley comes from Dartmouth, just like Clark did - the cradle, perhaps, of college soccer coaches? :) He has his own pretty impressive branches of prodigies on his tree. 

Maybe we can get a Lawrence Frank type of coach...goes from equipment manager to washing the last 8 years of stain off the program. Restore the shine, unknown coach! 

I think lack of a plan across the whole department is the problem why the place is in the position it is as of today. Unless a big donor says hire this guy Mr. AD and tells him what to do history is doomed to repeat itself is my fear. Question is who is available at this point that isn't older or interested? Maybe a MLS assistant? That's why it's gotta be an assistant coach is my opinion.