New Soccer Coach???

Billy Ken

20 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Still waiting for what makes it so tough for Catholic universities right now?

You have always had a hard time with ANY criticism of anything SLU related. It isn't a great mindset to have in regards to decision making for a major operation like SLU. I wish SLU had leadership that wasn't happy to just pat each other on the back and say "Well we're doing ok" when in reality it could be so much better. That goes for athletics as well as academics. 

I’m paraphrasing an old poster former Peoria ND High School legendary teacher and mid-lecture napper Ed Tallon posted in his classroom, but “it will be a nice day when SLU gets all the funds it needs and Duke needs to have a bake sale to renovate Cameron.” 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Good Roy, personal attacks work so much better than reasoned arguments. You still haven’t given a solid reason why the AD is not working to improve the facilities but I’m sure they’re also wondering why nobody wants the soccer head coaching job.

i most certainly did.   the money isnt there.  billikenswin told you that may was completely behind the lockerroom donations to do that upgrade.   and as i have stated three times today, at this point, basketball is the closest thing we have to an athletic department money machine.   i am sure chris would love to find the money to upgrade non revenue facilities.  but a lot of the benefactors want their name on the big sport, so finding a benefactor for soccer stands, baseball dugouts etc isnt an easy task.   if the coach had the connections to find the money to do some upgrades.  that's great.   glad to hear he has taken that kind of ownership in the program.   

while we all want to see all the sports succeed, i am not in favor of using  fund raising on the non revenue sports if a benefactor would rather give elsewhere.   

and i havent resorted to personal attacks.   pointing out you do yourself disservice isnt an attack.   

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

when soccer and baseball are running their programs in the black, come and talk to me.   until then, they are at the mercy of the budget handed to them by the AD which is passed down to the AD by the president and the board of trustees.    

you dont need any help from me to discredit yourself.   you do just fine there.  

This is a lame argument in my opinion. Most programs don't run in the black and have much better resources and facilites then us. However, LSU back in the day wasn't known for Baseball, they put a good product on the field, built a stadium and the rest was history. I don't think the fans and those who care about our programs are asking professional stadiums but they need to be better then what is offered.

I also don't understand why you hold the AD and the rest of the department with such praise.

Baseball has been the most consistent and winning program in the last 10 years, I'd be curious to get the coaching staff and alumni take on the support of the program.

Soccer has the most championships of all time and the field hasn't changed. I went to a game this fall and it looked like a beach volleyball court. There aren't even chairbacks.

YOU CANNOT DEFEND THIS!

20 minutes ago, TheGrandLife said:

This is a lame argument in my opinion. Most programs don't run in the black and have much better resources and facilites then us. However, LSU back in the day wasn't known for Baseball, they put a good product on the field, built a stadium and the rest was history. I don't think the fans and those who care about our programs are asking professional stadiums but they need to be better then what is offered.

I also don't understand why you hold the AD and the rest of the department with such praise.

Baseball has been the most consistent and winning program in the last 10 years, I'd be curious to get the coaching staff and alumni take on the support of the program.

Soccer has the most championships of all time and the field hasn't changed. I went to a game this fall and it looked like a beach volleyball court. There aren't even chairbacks.

YOU CANNOT DEFEND THIS!

Besides LSU comparison, this is a decent point. You can’t have a team run in the black if you don’t provide an atmosphere worthy of fans money  the baseball stadium isn’t even equipped to charge for tickets and the soccer stadium is incredibly easy to navigate around paying for entry. That includes comfortable seating accommodation, concessions, in game entertainment.

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

you are comparing saint louis university to LSU?  a state funded school?   wow.   

I am comparing the fact that if you build a nice stadium/arena and put a good product on the field...

1. You may generate revenue

2. You will get good coaches who will want to stay

3. Helps the university image.

6 hours ago, kwyjibo said:

I was a student in Joey Clarke's first few years and I worked for the soccer team (although my role was game day).  I know the work-study guys (at the time other athletes) that did the laundry.  I do not remember Joey having a role but he certainly was the type of person who would have helped if he could.  He was there longer than I was so he could have been forced into it (the work-study jobs were not necessarily the tightest run at the time--so I could see gaps in laundry coverage).  I will say that Joey was really great to work for and the team was good in that era.

Thanks guys for sharing those stories...

It is very interesting when you see the standard that Joe Clarke was held to.  There may have been more that I do not know about, but if he was judged by his team record, the program made the tourney in every season except for two.  in 1994 and 1995, the team lost in the first round.  In 1996, the team finished 5-10-6 and he was out.

2 hours ago, Billikenswin said:

This post is a perfect example of the trolls on this board who post things as absolute fact when they are in fact made up lies. You post so often that it is impossible for anyone to respond and correct each time but I will do it just this once and then I will be gone for a while.

The folks at the med school are working hard to correct the paperwork and curriculum issues and are on track to get off probabation. But the untold story is that the school is doing very well with excellent applicants in large numbers, outstanding students and graduates who are receiving prestigious placements. The new $500M hospital and ambulatory care center are under construction and considerable new development will take place across the entire new Redevelopment area which was approved by the Board of A with SLU as the developer.

the new locker rooms were paid for by private donors solicited by Chris May.

The issues with the law school, which you blame on President Pestello, have nothing to do with him--he inherited those problems and is trying to deal with them. Law schools around the country of our ilk had an almost across the board reduction of 50% in applications due to the cut backs in hiring of lawyers nationwide and we all know of the various dean issues which had nothing to do with the current president. 

Another BIG LIE--"two brand new dorms that sit half empty"--In truth, the two new dorms are completely full with waiting lists and the students love them.

Another BIG LIE--"big capital campaign..can't raise a dime" In fact, SLU is in the private phase of the campaign and will go public late in 2018 but it has been successful in the quiet phase and overall fundraising for the past few years has been close to or over record levels on an annual basis. But a private Catholic university like SLU has to do everything possible to be cautious with costs rising and net tuition revenue basically flat. The push/pull for funds from every part of the university makes it a major challenge to provide funds for needed projects and still balance the budget.

We all would like to have unlimited funds for support of all athletic programs but at a school like SLU that will never be the case. However, SLU made a major financial commitment to this men's bb coaching staff and other parts of our athletic programs. If someone want to give SLU millions of dollars for a specific athletic need I am sure they will take it and apply it as requested.

SLU is not perfect but it does many things very well and as a university it has a wonderful faculty, wonderful students and people who care.

I am done for a while.

Ok where to begin.

1. If your argument that the med school paperwork and curriculum issues aren't a big deal that's insane. They are the only program in country currently on probation! Who wants to fork out $100s k on student loans to go to a med school not accredited and the reason it's not accredited is because of paperwork? Again who wants to go to a school who can't pay attention to something 99.9% of all other med schools can and I think med schools are detailed in training, correct? It's an embarrassment and can't be defended. As far as there curriculum it's in complete chaos! There are rumors of the residency program being no more! SSM would bail today on that deal if they could! That hospital should be in the county, not on that campus where other places like Wash U and Mercy are. Ridiculous. Oh and current students are transferring at a record pace, you just got confused.

2. New locker rooms had some private donations for sure but the majority came from Ford going over AD head after waiting almost 18 months and no action. You are wrong about that. And if AD wants to say it was all raised privately fine. It wasn't and wouldn't of been in good taste to say university was anonymous donor after lay offs, but I'm lying about that too I guess.

3. Law school is getting better but that's because of smart alums guiding it because Pestello was floundering and begged for help.

4. Fine new dorms are full, then every other one is almost empty and in 3rd world condition from 1970's. You can have that one I guess. I'd love them too if I didn't have to go to another older dorm!

5. And the capital campaign that started as a billion, then $500 million....well they typically announce it when they have at least half. It's been three years! Very secret silence phase I guess. And if it's going so well why bring Biondi back???? FACT they aren't even close to half way. But, I guess I'm lying again. Heard that straight from a board members mouth. But I guess he's lying too. Liars usually all hang out together and just randomly make up lies because we are trolls and hate SLU! Please!

And again all universities have good students and faculties that do good things! What does SLU Corner the market on "goodness" and "people that care?"

Answer me this question. Please. How does Dayton, Villanova, Georgetown, Creighton, Duke, Vanderbilt, TCU, SMU, Pepperdine, Gonzaga, Boston College, Marquette....etc,etc do it and SLU can't? That attitude and excuse making by people like you to just take it or leave it is the problem. Nothing wrong with accountability, honesty, goals, vision and wanting to be better. 

But to just call someone a liar and rant like a "troll" mind you is not constructive. And to defend AD and President, I believe you are on wrong side sir. You aren't dumb or stupid, maybe just misinformed. But to try and discredit someone you don't know by calling them a liar is exactly what you say should not be "allowed" on this board. We can agree to disagree.

whew! I'm done for a while too! 

9 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

Ok where to begin.

1. If your argument that the med school paperwork and curriculum issues aren't a big deal that's insane. They are the only program in country currently on probation! Who wants to fork out $100s k on student loans to go to a med school not accredited and the reason it's not accredited is because of paperwork? Again who wants to go to a school who can't pay attention to something 99.9% of all other med schools can and I think med schools are detailed in training, correct? It's an embarrassment and can't be defended. As far as there curriculum it's in complete chaos! There are rumors of the residency program being no more! SSM would bail today on that deal if they could! That hospital should be in the county, not on that campus where other places like Wash U and Mercy are. Ridiculous. Oh and current students are transferring at a record pace, you just got confused.

2. New locker rooms had some private donations for sure but the majority came from Ford going over AD head after waiting almost 18 months and no action. You are wrong about that. And if AD wants to say it was all raised privately fine. It wasn't and wouldn't of been in good taste to say university was anonymous donor after lay offs, but I'm lying about that too I guess.

3. Law school is getting better but that's because of smart alums guiding it because Pestello was floundering and begged for help.

4. Fine new dorms are full, then every other one is almost empty and in 3rd world condition from 1970's. You can have that one I guess. I'd love them too if I didn't have to go to another older dorm!

5. And the capital campaign that started as a billion, then $500 million....well they typically announce it when they have at least half. It's been three years! Very secret silence phase I guess. And if it's going so well why bring Biondi back???? FACT they aren't even close to half way. But, I guess I'm lying again. Heard that straight from a board members mouth. But I guess he's lying too. Liars usually all hang out together and just randomly make up lies because we are trolls and hate SLU! Please!

And again all universities have good students and faculties that do good things! What does SLU Corner the market on "goodness" and "people that care?"

Answer me this question. Please. How does Dayton, Villanova, Georgetown, Creighton, Duke, Vanderbilt, TCU, SMU, Pepperdine, Gonzaga, Boston College, Marquette....etc,etc do it and SLU can't? That attitude and excuse making by people like you to just take it or leave it is the problem. Nothing wrong with accountability, honesty, goals, vision and wanting to be better. 

But to just call someone a liar and rant like a "troll" mind you is not constructive. And to defend AD and President, I believe you are on wrong side sir. You aren't dumb or stupid, maybe just misinformed. But to try and discredit someone you don't know by calling them a liar is exactly what you say should not be "allowed" on this board. We can agree to disagree.

whew! I'm done for a while too! 

I have no idea how you get your information but I do believe you distort it intentionally to post falsehoods. the medical school has never been not accredited and several major medical schools have been on probation over that past few years. I never said it was not important and if you knew anything you would know that there are dozens of people working to deal with the paperwork and curriculum issues.

You are lying about the locker rooms.

You are lying about the campaign. if your source is a board member then he never went to a meeting and has no clue as to what is going on.

There is not a single person involved in the leadership of SLU who does not want for the university to be better, stronger and thrive in the future. And in many areas, we are better than many of the schools you list. But SLU, like all of those schools, has its challenges and It also has to keep pushing and striving for more success in everything it does, including athletics.

The  glass is half full--and there is nothing wrong with saying we are doing well in many things but we have a ways to go in others rather than just ripping everyone involved at the university and pontificate and insult anyone and everyone who is involved.

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

That Medical School debacle is EMBARRASSING.

Lots and lots of excuses.

Pestello lacks vision.  SLU is stagnate and can't get out of it's own way.

I agree with all of the recent posts about the AD being a mess organizationally, but the comments on this board about the med school situation are off base. 

The medical school situation is actually in excellent hands with the new dean, who has an incredible longterm strategic plan and vision for further innovation and improvement in the overall medical education experience at SLU. Probation status will be removed by late summer/early fall. But really the new dean isn't concerned with the probation at all, he's much more concerned with transforming the medical school into a top 30 program. Funding for medical research endeavors are about to be significantly increased over the next 5 years. The probation had nothing to do with the actual curriculum provided at the med school. The main issues lied with office of curricular affairs not doing their paperwork properly, and a number of other things that never would have been problematic if the proper paperwork had been completed. SLU medical school is set to be extremely successful over the next decade. 

Box and Won likes this

21 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

I have no idea how you get your information but I do believe you distort it intentionally to post falsehoods. the medical school has never been not accredited and several major medical schools have been on probation over that past few years. I never said it was not important and if you knew anything you would know that there are dozens of people working to deal with the paperwork and curriculum issues.

You are lying about the campaign. if your source is a board member then he never went to a meeting and has no clue as to what is going on.

There is not a single person involved in the leadership of SLU who does not want for the university to be better, stronger and thrive in the future. And in many areas, we are better than many of the schools you list. But SLU, like all of those schools, has its challenges and It also has to keep pushing and striving for more success in everything it does, including athletics.

The  glass is half full--and there is nothing wrong with saying we are doing well in many things but we have a ways to go in others rather than just ripping everyone involved at the university and pontificate and insult anyone and everyone who is involved.

Ripping everyone? What like just calling someone a liar and that makes what you say a fact? The university paid the majority of the locker room bill. True. The capital campaign isn't going well. True. 

Go ahead and call me a liar. If you expect me to call you something back, keep waiting.

By the way, when did you join the board Mr. May? Because only someone who is paranoid or afraid of the truth coming out would get so vicious. Also I thought you were  done for a while. That was a lie! 

37 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

I think maybe what you are experiencing the how SLU is viewed on the inside of the admin vs the perception on the outside. Im not doubting some metrics are positive, but there is an undeniable perception of SLU as an underperformer, and an undeniable perception that schools like Creighton are constantly figuring it out while SLU cant get out of its own way. Whether or not you want to admit it, this perception is real, and it matters.

4 minutes ago, LindellWest said:

I think maybe what you are experiencing the how SLU is viewed on the inside of the admin vs the perception on the outside. Im not doubting some metrics are positive, but there is an undeniable perception of SLU as an underperformer, and an undeniable perception that schools like Creighton are constantly figuring it out while SLU cant get out of its own way. Whether or not you want to admit it, this perception is real, and it matters.

-well stated

Billy Ken likes this

29 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

Ripping everyone? What like just calling someone a liar and that makes what you say a fact? The university paid the majority of the locker room bill. True. The capital campaign isn't going well. True. 

Go ahead and call me a liar. If you expect me to call you something back, keep waiting.

By the way, when did you join the board Mr. May? Because only someone who is paranoid or afraid of the truth coming out would get so vicious. Also I thought you were  done for a while. That was a lie! 

Billy. You are fighting with a board member. 

28 minutes ago, LindellWest said:

Bingo. 

2 hours ago, willie said:

Billy. You are fighting with a board member. 

Well then maybe this boardmember should get on the same page as fellow boardmembers. The board is THE biggest problem! They allow Pestello to stay and allow AD to stay mediocre. I'm sorry but just because you are a boardmember doesn't make you smart. It's a title. I stand by what I said about med school and hospital. I stand by locker rooms and capital campaign lagging. I'm done posting in response to this person and if that's the attitude of the board, says all there is I need to know and it's not hard to see why SLU is where they are across the board. I will stop, please continue your race to the bottom uninterrupted Mr or Mrs Boardmember. I love the Billikens and always will. I'm done. Thanks

This just must be a paperwork problem, right? 

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/education/concerns-about-fear-retaliation-prompt-accrediting-agency-to-visit-slu/article_a2fd229f-f6ed-5130-b37e-b0d16e757f2d.html#tracking-source=home-latest-1 

The council is responsible for accrediting graduate medical training programs, such as residencies and fellowships. Medical residencies follow medical school, and offer advanced training in specific specialties. 

This accrediting group is separate from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education, which put SLU’s medical school accreditation on probation last February.

A letter from the accrediting council refers to its trip to St. Louis as a “focused site visit.” The group’s website says focused visits involve either investigating the merits of a complaint, or looking into potential problems from an annual survey of residents.

Billy Ken likes this