New Soccer Coach???

Billy Ken

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, TheGrandLife said:

Chris May got an extension and raise according to family friends. 

I've been accused of hating all things SLU, so I'm going to stop right there. I have nothing positive to add to this if true. Nothing. 

Just now, Billy Ken said:

I've been accused of hating all things SLU, so I'm going to stop right there. I have nothing positive to add to this if true. Nothing. 

I think there is a clear difference between hating and a realist. If the school is "content" with average teams who make runs every 4 years then so be it. But don't try and claim we will be the "best" jesuit athletic institution. The AD needs change and it needs it fast or else it'll take a decade to turn it around. 

I agree, all I've ever wanted is for slu to be as good as it possibly can be. For the students, the university and the city. The whole place is sick. I know there are good things going on and students are doing amazing work, but so are the kids at Wash U and Fontbonne and Maryville and Lindenwood and SIUE. I truly believe athletics raises profile for whole university. You would not have a clue about Villanova if their athletic program, MBB wasn't as good as it is over time. Why is it wrong to want that? Why accept where we are at and always make excuses? Or get angry for wanting the bar raised to higher standards? Dayton, Creighton, Gonzaga....there students and faculty are doing great things and they have winning athletics, why can't SLU do both? That's my whole point, not that I hate SLU or want to ruin AD career, he's doing just fine in life and if it's that bad and he can't get anything done because of things out of his control, then he's either a Saint for staying or can't leave. Again, I don't understand why expectations are so low and mediocre is celebrated. We are talking about D1 athletics and millions of dollars spent each year! Not volunteer CYC operation.

TaLBErt likes this

you folks are way off base blaming the Athletic Department.   the fact that it has been this way forever says that is what the board and the president want.   the athletic department's hands are tied without the funds and authority to up the ante.   until the basketball team is making the ncaa every year and pulling in big money, nothing will change as the men's basketball team is the engine to all athletics.   if you dont like it, i suggest you donate about $50 million dollars to the athletic department which will get their attention and then they might do what you all unrealistically want.  

2010andBeyond likes this

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

you folks are way off base blaming the Athletic Department.   the fact that it has been this way forever says that is what the board and the president want.   the athletic department's hands are tied without the funds and authority to up the ante.   until the basketball team is making the ncaa every year and pulling in big money, nothing will change as the men's basketball team is the engine to all athletics.   if you dont like it, i suggest you donate about $50 million dollars to the athletic department which will get their attention and then they might do what you all unrealistically want.  

The problem is that their won't be regular NCAA appearances for the basketball team until their is a commitment from the top down.  

I,also, don't think it takes a $50 million big dollar donor to get the whole athletic program to that level.  We aren't competing in the SEC or even the Big East.  X built their athletic program through a commitment to the basketball program.  There was no big time donor bankrolling the operation in the days of Pete Gillen.  Same with Butler. 

The key is hiring competent people with a vision.  SLU too often has gone the route of the quick fix followed by complacency. 

3 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I always love that people act like SLU carries some unique burden for which it can’t excel at athletics.

It is a really tough time for catholic private universities, RiseandGrind. Poor Fred and Chris just don't know what to do. His board of trustee goon comes by here once a week to crap on everyone for having higher expectations. Don't tell Villanova or Gonzaga it's tough to be a Catholic university in this time as they are setting records for fundraising and freshmen class demographics. I wonder why? 

8 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

It is a really tough time for catholic private universities, RiseandGrind. Poor Fred and Chris just don't know what to do. His board of trustee goon comes by here once a week to crap on everyone for having higher expectations. Don't tell Villanova or Gonzaga it's tough to be a Catholic university in this time as they are setting records for fundraising and freshmen class demographics. I wonder why? 

Very well said. It can be done and hasn't been at SLU. Very well said.

20 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Right. There's never any discussions about holding people accountable, pushing for excellence, and striving for reaching the next level. It's always "poor ole SLU is trying as hard as it can to address these wholly unique problems faced only by our beloved Midwestern Jesuit can-do university." 

Cut the crap. Figure it out. Or move on. 

Look i am not arguing it can't be done.   As jmm states other private schools have.   And I'm not saying it will take $50 million to make it happen.   

But an astronomical donation will get our head in the sand board and presidents attention.   Until you change the mindset of the top they aren't going to flood the AD with the money to upgrade facilities and hire AND retain top coaches.   

Sure we can find an Ann Kordes occasionally, but we will never keep them and we will be starting over again.  

Sorry if you all don't like my view, but we have definitely seen the lack of support from all angles recently and it amazes me when some of you think Chris May has the wizardry power to snap his fingers and fix all.   It ain't Chris holding the AD back.   Go Google saint Louis university board of trustees and start calling them.   There is where real PERMANENT change will start. 

Until they open the checkbook everything remains dependent on our only money maker.   Men's basketball.    And we saw what kind of support they get.  S2 proves the board of trustees expects Ford to function with one hand behind his back.   If our  our only revenue maker faces that, why would you expect soccer, field hockey etc to be treated any better?  

-I would love some of the thoughts here to make it to a meeting of the BOT where some changes take place, scanning the list of members I see at least three members that have or had an interest in sports, perhaps they can convince their fellow members that a way to sustain and grow the U would be to have a gleaming and successful athletic department

43 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Its like they have some unifying force that allows the students to rally around the university  and provides a sense of pride and common goal and at the same time spreading an awareness of the university on a national stage, but there is just no way to see what could possibly be driving this........

12 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I would love some of the thoughts here to make it to a meeting of the BOT where some changes take place, scanning the list of members I see at least three members that have or had an interest in sports, perhaps they can convince their fellow members that a way to sustain and grow the U would be to have a gleaming and successful athletic department

Their are more than that on the board.  Heck one board member even played football at Cal.  

Is it normal for a university like SLU to have such a large percentage of the board who are not graduates of the school?

18 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

So the burden of initiating donations falls squarely on alumni and not on the people paid to provide the vision to solicit donations to athletics? Got it. So what exactly is Chris May being paid to do then?  

are you that naive to believe that chris may and his staff are not initiating donations?   you and your hardon for not getting hired at slu is really getting tiresome.  take it somewhere else please.  

2 hours ago, Billy Ken said:

I've never said I was an expert on Billiken athletics. I've been a season ticket holder since the old Kiel days sir. So to say I don't care about the program, that is not true, if anything I care more about it than I should! I will agree that the students are great and they are the customers of the university. In the case of the athletic department I've soured on leadership, read my post going back years, I was on board with AD longer than most. But if you are talking about "all the good things going on" like...med school in probation and possibly staying on probation and on meltdown, lay offs while spending millions on scoreboards and locker rooms, a law school which is getting better but a shell of its former self and two brand new dorms that sit half empty, oh and that big capital campaign that has been in the works for three years and can't raise a dime, a president that is indecisive and over his head running a university like slu, oh clocktower accords worked out great, where is the follow through there? Hey, our opinions differ but everything I just listed is a fact. Very easy to call someone a troll or that they hate something IF the other person disagrees. It's actually the opposite! If I'm wrong and don't know anything, please correct me. But if we can't have an honest conversation without disagreement then you sir are the "troll" or "hater." Defend your points and quit your "pontificating" on proper etiquette on a public board. If your child is out of control, you can be upset and angry at them, but you still always love them. That's how I feel about university and athletics right now. But if you want to believe what you want to believe and rag against anyone who disagrees with you and not be open to criticism then you must either work at SLU or you have problems forming original opinion for yourself. Go Bills!!!

This post is a perfect example of the trolls on this board who post things as absolute fact when they are in fact made up lies. You post so often that it is impossible for anyone to respond and correct each time but I will do it just this once and then I will be gone for a while.

The folks at the med school are working hard to correct the paperwork and curriculum issues and are on track to get off probabation. But the untold story is that the school is doing very well with excellent applicants in large numbers, outstanding students and graduates who are receiving prestigious placements. The new $500M hospital and ambulatory care center are under construction and considerable new development will take place across the entire new Redevelopment area which was approved by the Board of A with SLU as the developer.

the new locker rooms were paid for by private donors solicited by Chris May.

The issues with the law school, which you blame on President Pestello, have nothing to do with him--he inherited those problems and is trying to deal with them. Law schools around the country of our ilk had an almost across the board reduction of 50% in applications due to the cut backs in hiring of lawyers nationwide and we all know of the various dean issues which had nothing to do with the current president. 

Another BIG LIE--"two brand new dorms that sit half empty"--In truth, the two new dorms are completely full with waiting lists and the students love them.

Another BIG LIE--"big capital campaign..can't raise a dime" In fact, SLU is in the private phase of the campaign and will go public late in 2018 but it has been successful in the quiet phase and overall fundraising for the past few years has been close to or over record levels on an annual basis. But a private Catholic university like SLU has to do everything possible to be cautious with costs rising and net tuition revenue basically flat. The push/pull for funds from every part of the university makes it a major challenge to provide funds for needed projects and still balance the budget.

We all would like to have unlimited funds for support of all athletic programs but at a school like SLU that will never be the case. However, SLU made a major financial commitment to this men's bb coaching staff and other parts of our athletic programs. If someone want to give SLU millions of dollars for a specific athletic need I am sure they will take it and apply it as requested.

SLU is not perfect but it does many things very well and as a university it has a wonderful faculty, wonderful students and people who care.

I am done for a while.

33 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

are you that naive to believe that chris may and his staff are not initiating donations?   you and your hardon for not getting hired at slu is really getting tiresome.  take it somewhere else please.  

You like to bring up my history with the U to discredit me but it doesn’t change the fact that Darrin hendrickson and Mike McGinty/Billiken soccer club did the solicitation for their respective stadium upgrades. Do all these other people saying the same things have a hardon for not getting hired too? Must be going around. You can’t honestly look at the baseball and soccer “stadiums” and tell me that the people(not coaches) in charge of keeping them up to date are doing everything in their power to solicit donations. Show a goddamned vision with a plan for upgrades, isn’t that what SLU did with the arena? I think I still have the brochure sitting around somewhere. 

Spoon-Balls likes this

9 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

This post is a perfect example of the trolls on this board who post things as absolute fact when they are in fact made up lies. You post so often that it is impossible for anyone to respond and correct each time but I will do it just this once and then I will be gone for a while.

The folks at the med school are working hard to correct the paperwork and curriculum issues and are on track to get off probabation. But the untold story is that the school is doing very well with excellent applicants in large numbers, outstanding students and graduates who are receiving prestigious placements. The new $500M hospital and ambulatory care center are under construction and considerable new development will take place across the entire new Redevelopment area which was approved by the Board of A with SLU as the developer.

The issues with the law school, which you blame on President Pestello, have nothing to do with him--he inherited those problems and is trying to deal with them. Law schools around the country of our ilk had an almost across the board reduction of 50% in applications due to the cut backs in hiring of lawyers nationwide and we all know of the various dean issues which had nothing to do with the current president. 

Another BIG LIE--"two brand new dorms that sit half empty"--In truth, the two new dorms are completely full with waiting lists and the students love them.

Another BIG LIE--"big capital campaign..can't raise a dime" In fact, SLU is in the private phase of the campaign and will go public late in 2018 but it has been successful in the quiet phase and overall fundraising for the past few years has been close to or over record levels on an annual basis. But a private Catholic university like SLU has to do everything possible to be cautious with costs rising and net tuition revenue basically flat. The push/pull for funds from every part of the university makes it a major challenge to provide funds for needed projects and still balance the budget.

We all would like to have unlimited funds for support of all athletic programs but at a school like SLU that will never be the case. However, SLU made a major financial commitment to this men's bb coaching staff and other parts of our athletic programs. If someone want to give SLU millions of dollars for a specific athletic need I am sure they will take it and apply it as requested.

SLU is not perfect but it does many things very well and as a university it has a wonderful faculty, wonderful students and people who care.

I am done for a while.

“Paperwork and curriculum issues” is how I would describe it too if my medical school was on PROBATION. 

Also, seems like other schools of SLU’s “ilk” are able to properly fund athletic programs. 

23 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

I am done for a while.

Still waiting for what makes it so tough for Catholic universities right now?

You have always had a hard time with ANY criticism of anything SLU related. It isn't a great mindset to have in regards to decision making for a major operation like SLU. I wish SLU had leadership that wasn't happy to just pat each other on the back and say "Well we're doing ok" when in reality it could be so much better. That goes for athletics as well as academics. 

16 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You like to bring up my history with the U to discredit me but it doesn’t change the fact that Darrin hendrickson and Mike McGinty/Billiken soccer club did the solicitation for their respective stadium upgrades. Do all these other people saying the same things have a hardon for not getting hired too? Must be going around. You can’t honestly look at the baseball and soccer “stadiums” and tell me that the people(not coaches) in charge of keeping them up to date are doing everything in their power to solicit donations. Show a goddamned vision with a plan for upgrades, isn’t that what SLU did with the arena? I think I still have the brochure sitting around somewhere. 

when soccer and baseball are running their programs in the black, come and talk to me.   until then, they are at the mercy of the budget handed to them by the AD which is passed down to the AD by the president and the board of trustees.    

you dont need any help from me to discredit yourself.   you do just fine there.  

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

when soccer and baseball are running their programs in the black, come and talk to me.   until then, they are at the mercy of the budget handed to them by the AD which is passed down to the AD by the president and the board of trustees.    

you dont need any help from me to discredit yourself.   you do just fine there.  

Good Roy, personal attacks work so much better than reasoned arguments. You still haven’t given a solid reason why the AD is not working to improve the facilities but I’m sure they’re also wondering why nobody wants the soccer head coaching job.

Boy, it's getting rather snippy in here!  Roy and 05, please calm down; you're on the same side.  @Billikenswin, you should keep posting.  It seems to me to be a poor debate tactic to quit just because your opponent rebuts.  And let's stop throwing out the "troll" card.  Someone is not a troll just because they're on the opposite side of a particular issue.  An internet troll is someone

who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion, often for the troll's amusement.

The discussion occurring in this thread doesn't fulfill that criteria.  Mere disagreement and/or lack of information isn't the sole criterion.