SLU vs Houston: I guess we’ll do another GDT

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, jzstldc said:

Probably the worst officiated game I have ever seen in any sport. I never leave a SLU game early but these officials almost  made me do so tonight. Embarrassing.  The Atlantic 10 should never allow them to officiate another game.

Agreed. By making the early calls they did against French the whole game changed. I,m not sure they were A10 refs. Didn’t recognize any of them. Might have been Houston’s conference refs. Depending on the contract sometimes the visiting teams get their league officials. If they were A10 refs Ford would be able to block them in the future. 

1 hour ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

SLU is so small time.  This is a complete sabotage of the basketball program from Jim Crews all the way to today’s Situation 2

This program is shrouded under a veil of futility. No one in this region takes Billikens basketball seriously anymore. The past 3 years of damage will take many years of sustained winning to overcome. 

2 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

This program is shrouded under a veil of futility. No one in this region takes Billikens basketball seriously anymore. The past 3 years of damage will take many years of sustained winning to overcome. 

image.png.b64036940a063e083a592d1ae41f4b14.png

We can win this conference when we get the three back.  Don't lose hope.  Snap out of it.

I love the players we have.  Bess, Goodwin, French, and Foreman give the max amount of effort.  They are a very talented group of guys, but they can only do so much, and obviously perimeter shooting is something they can't do.   Since they only have one way to win, its going to only get harder as opponents focus on that.   After all my bitc**** at the tv I came to the conclusion....the guys we have out there are doing all they can.  We should support the guys regardless of the outcomes right now.  Its hard to play with so many missing minutes, let alone players who change everything offensively.   Ford has done great work with acquiring talent, we saw last year that he can in fact manage games.  I thought this year would be the year we return to the levels of 2012, unfortunately we may still be a year away.  Always frustrating to be a billikens fan.  

I once saw a team win 30 games with 7 guys. They are in decent shape right now.  4-5 is not 1-8. You could still have everybody back to compete in most of conference play, and if not competing for a .500 or better record for the season is a more than attainable goal. I still think Bess has some rust on him and could be the best player in the league.

After a peaceful sleep, I have these thoughts on last night.

French could be the most impressive power player we've had since Conklin.  He has to learn quickly how to play within the confines that each random set of officials uses.  Yes, one of his fouls (the block when he got a forearm smashed into his sternum) was bad, but this happens in college basketball.  No this wasn't the worst game ever officiated, nor will it be the worse this year.  We need French on the floor.  The drop-off on the defensive end when either Anthony or Foreman comes in is dramatic. Neither can stop anyone inside one on one.  Ford needs to figure out how to keep French on the floor. 

If French's ejection leads to an automatic game suspension, we just drop kicked another game. (Ford wasn't sure, per Stu.)

Has Foreman dropped below Anthony in the rotation?

There was a nice successful pick and roll with Hines to Anthony.  Haven't seen many of those this year.  Why isn't the pick and roll in our offense?  Has there been a pick and pop all year?  Yes you can screen on a zone.

Past Ford teams play 8 with heavy minutes.  This team has 8 playing heavy minutes.  Okay, your response will be these aren't the 8 he wants, but this situation is not abnormal for a Ford team.  Last night Houston played 9 (with a 10th having 2 garbage time minutes).  We played our 8.  SIU played primarily 9, Western MI played primarily 9.  I'm pretty sure you won't see Bess, Roby and Goodwin asking Ford to reduce their minutes once reinforcements come.  I'm not putting too much on the number of players available. 

Welmer was dressed but did have a slight limp when running.  He's not ready.  Welmer isn't a power defender in the post either, but he did provide some rim protection last season.

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Past Ford teams play 8 with heavy minutes.  This team has 8 playing heavy minutes.  Okay, your response will be these aren't the 8 he wants, but this situation is not abnormal for a Ford team.  Last night Houston played 9 (with a 10th having 2 garbage time minutes).  We played our 8.  SIU played primarily 9, Western MI played primarily 9.  I'm pretty sure you won't see Bess, Roby and Goodwin asking Ford to reduce their minutes once reinforcements come.  I'm not putting too much on the number of players available. 

If Adonys, Bishop, and Welmer can shoot even just marginally better from the three than the current players, they will get more of the minutes if/when they return. Our 3 point shooting is absolutely abysmal. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

French could be the most impressive power player we've had since Conklin.  He has to learn quickly how to play within the confines that each random set of officials uses.  Yes, one of his fouls (the block when he got a forearm smashed into his sternum) was bad, but this happens in college basketball.  No this wasn't the worst game ever officiated, nor will it be the worse this year.  We need French on the floor.  The drop-off on the defensive end when either Anthony or Foreman comes in is dramatic. Neither can stop anyone inside one on one.  Ford needs to figure out how to keep French on the floor. 

If French's ejection leads to an automatic game suspension, we just drop kicked another game. (Ford wasn't sure, per Stu.)

There was a nice successful pick and roll with Hines to Anthony.  Haven't seen many of those this year.  Why isn't the pick and roll in our offense?  Has there been a pick and pop all year?  Yes you can screen on a zone.

Welmer was dressed but did have a slight limp when running.  He's not ready.  Welmer isn't a power defender in the post either, but he did provide some rim protection last season.

I think it might have been the worst game ever officiated. It sure as hell better be the worst we see this year. 

1 hour ago, Spoon-Balls said:

If Adonys, Bishop, and Welmer can shoot even just marginally better from the three than the current players, they will get more of the minutes if/when they return. Our 3 point shooting is absolutely abysmal. 

Well you may be right, but those three don't have any improvement over Johnson and Roby, in particular.  For the 8 games, Johnson is 40% this season and Roby 37%.  Past full season for Henriquez was 36%, Bishop was 37% and Welmer was 37%.  So they are right there with what we already have.  If you want to start whacking minutes off of poor three point shooters, you know who is last on the list at 9%, followed by Hines at 21% and Bess at 27%.  Not as easy an answer as you may think.  

Just now, HoosierPal said:

Well you may be right, but those three don't have any improvement over Johnson and Roby, in particular.  For the 8 games, Johnson is 40% this season and Roby 37%.  Past full season for Henriquez was 36%, Bishop was 37% and Welmer was 37%.  So they are right there with what we already have.  If you want to start whacking minutes off of poor three point shooters, you know who is last on the list at 9%, followed by Hines at 21% and Bess at 27%.  Not as easy an answer as you may think.  

be careful with your stats.   remember how you told us bess couldnt shoot free throws.   

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The three players likely overhaul our offensive sets.  Welmer provides an outside shot and matchup problem, Bishop can create his own shot as well as Hit a three ball, and AD is apparently team-leading scorer material.  Those aspects free up Bess and Goodwin to do more of what they’re good at (attacking the basket) while relegating Hines to the bench.  Bess and Goodwin are taking lowest percentage 3 point shots because nothing else is open for our offense.  Add 2-3 scorers, especially scorers from outside, and I bet Goodwin and Bess’ 3 point shots drop dramatically and they become way more effective offensively.    

25 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Adonys, Bishop and Graves can handle the ball and shoot. That’s a key differentiator.

Hoosier Pal, I glad you got a good night of sleep, however, I think you might need a few more hours.

That was without a doubt the worst game of reffing that I have ever seen.  Ford needs to do everything in his power to never accept those three idiots at any future games.  I was sitting in Sec 106 last night and besides the unbelievable foul calls they missed two out of bounds calls right in front of me.  Twice the ball was called out but clearly never hit out of bounds, so they couldn't even get simple out of bounds calls correct.  Probably the worst single call I have ever seen also happened right in front of me in the 1st half.  The Houston center backed into our defender knocking him over and we were called for the foul.  I know the inside the arc rule, but this clearly happened outside that arc.  So many more bad calls that it could be a thread in and of itself.

Hoosier, you need to go back to sleep!

willie likes this

10 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

After we left Conf USA and being spoiled by well-officiated games, I've gotten numb to the crap officiating we now regularly see.  I sure the fuok hope last night is the worst officiating I see this year or ever again. It was the worst I've maybe EVER seen.

If anyone is still curious, Banducci Enterprises called me yesterday and left a message that every year I get 52 extra value meal cards, and I can use them as frequently as I like. They didn't talk about restrictions on where I can/can't use them,  and the only downside is that I have to drive to Creve Coeur to get them. More updates to follow...

wgstl and JohnnyJumpUp like this

29 minutes ago, MattyMo213 said:

If anyone is still curious, Banducci Enterprises called me yesterday and left a message that every year I get 52 extra value meal cards, and I can use them as frequently as I like. They didn't talk about restrictions on where I can/can't use them,  and the only downside is that I have to drive to Creve Coeur to get them. More updates to follow...

Maybe you can trade them for 12 shake shack meals?

are they good at ANY mcdonalds or just certain ones?  regardless pretty cool.   

i like the mcdonalds promotion.   i pointed out to my wife how out of breath every contestant is by the end of that challenge.   throwing up shot after shot from the half line is a workout!

• 4 weeks later...

Alright so to finish my McDonald’s chronicles. I just picked up my cards today in creve couer and I got 52 extra value meal cards, gets me a sandwich, medium fry, and drink at like 15 McDonalds in the Stl area. I can pick up the next 52 anytime in 2019 and continue with that trend right when the calendar year starts. And the cards never expire so when I’m 80 I’ll have a bunch left over

3 minutes ago, MattyMo213 said:

Alright so to finish my McDonald’s chronicles. I just picked up my cards today in creve couer and I got 52 extra value meal cards, gets me a sandwich, medium fry, and drink at like 15 McDonalds in the Stl area. I can pick up the next 52 anytime in 2019 and continue with that trend right when the calendar year starts. And the cards never expire so when I’m 80 I’ll have a bunch left over

Congrats! 

Not to be a buzzkill, but I feel like for the rest of your life you will forever carry a burden. “ I have all of these value meals and I haven’t even come close to using them”. It’s almost like you’ve been condemned to McDonald’s purgatory.

Still cool as hell though.