Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nesbitt taking next step This recruitment doesn’t appear to have too much drama, but Jordan Nesbitt is set to take the next step in his decision making process. He is narrowing down his list to t

You do realize that we have also gotten players that way. Carte'Are Gordon was a very dirty recruitment. Jordan Goodwin's dad got a nice payday. Ford is a good recruiter, but he's not clean.

I always appreciate the updates to these threads, so I figured I would contribute by putting together a scholarship grid. Let me know if you see any inaccuracies on this initial version.  @Pistol

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Penny is greatest recruiter ever!!! Hmm...

Mempis no has 15 for 2021 per Verbal Commits

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

You'd think that a guy that was in the movie Blue Chips would know better than to attract this kind of recruiting attention.  The optics are horrible.

You’d also think that a guy who was in The Sixth Man would recruit more basketball playing ghosts, but here we are. Still a roster with zero ghosts

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

All momentum for Nesbitt going to Memphis.  Picked up 2 more expert picks on Rivals between yesterday and today and now Brian Snow on 247 changed his crystal ball to Memphis with high confidence.  

I took a look this morning and all 8 crystal ball picks on Rivals and 6 picks on 247 are now for Memphis.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I took a look this morning and all 8 crystal ball picks on Rivals and 6 picks on 247 are now for Memphis.

I guess I do not know how kids can be confident going to Memphis when they are over the scholarship limit by 3. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

And the crazy thing is they aren't done.  They are 100% in the crystal ball for Sam Ayomide.  I just couldn't imagine playing for a coach that is looking to get rid of that many kids at the end of the season.  One article said they may have a 4 or 5 man recruiting class so could go over by 5.  I get players transfer but that is not just a normal amount of transfers, that is forcing kids to leave.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

How would you feel if you were a player on that team right now?

Not knowing if you will be allowed back next year? Would you give it your all if you thought you may get cut come May?

If he goes 5 players over at least a few guys who get minutes will be gone.

Regardless of what happens with Nesbitt I hope it blows up in Penny’s face.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dlarry said:

How would you feel if you were a player on that team right now?

Not knowing if you will be allowed back next year? Would you give it your all if you thought you may get cut come May?

If he goes 5 players over at least a few guys who get minutes will be gone.

Regardless of what happens with Nesbitt I hope it blows up in Penny’s face.

 

to be fair... a stud athlete shouldn't be thinking 'I'm on the chopping block'. they all think they're NBA

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

to be fair... a stud athlete shouldn't be thinking 'I'm on the chopping block'. they all think they're NBA

That’s true but what about the 8-13 guys on the roster? These are the guys who will be cut. These guys might be able to go play in Europe but Most likely they are using their scholarship to get a degree. I’m sure they will have no problem latching on elsewhere but it uproots what they have been working on academically.

I know this is a common occurrence in high end D1 sports and I don’t want this to sound like sour grapes but this just feels dirty. (Not in a cheating way)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

to be fair... a stud athlete shouldn't be thinking 'I'm on the chopping block'. they all think they're NBA

If all "stud athletes" thought that way, they would all accept their most high profile offer.  But some don't.  Those kids pick the lower profile school so they will get a better chance to play.  This sort of cutthroat recruiting wrecks that calculus.

Penny must think the rotation players already on the team are fools.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

If all "stud athletes" thought that way, they would all accept their most high profile offer.  But some don't.  Those kids pick the lower profile school so they will get a better chance to play.  This sort of cutthroat recruiting wrecks that calculus.

Penny must think the rotation players already on the team are fools.  

To go with that, I would think they would also buy into the coach telling them that he can help develop them to make the NBA.  Penny is basically saying the kids he told that to a couple years ago that even though they may be putting in the effort and doing everything he asks of them, they just aren't worth the his time anymore on trying to help develop them, he will just bring in kids who are more talented that he doesn't need to really help improve.  

I find it odd in every article about their recruit that I could find, none mention scholarships available.  That is always mentioned in articles by Stu when we get a commitment.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you look at mock 2021 NBA Drafts, there are usually 2-3 Memphis players going, and usually in the second round. NBADraft.net has Moussa Cisse and Landers Nolley going in the second round. NBA Draft Room has Cisse in the first, with Nolley and Boogie Ellis in the second. Rookie Wire has Lester Quinones and D.J. Jeffries going in the second. Another one has Cisse in the second. So that's 5 different players with possible 2021 early entry prospects, depending on how things go. And there are always transfers, of course.

My guess is that at least 3 of the 5 have given Penny some sort of indication that they're going pro after this season and he's comfortable oversubscribing now based on that. He's competing with Kentucky and Kansas and Duke for recruits now, so he's clearly comfortable with the churn of early exit players. But yes, it's very unusual to be oversubscribed by multiple scholarships, let alone in the fall. By comparison, Kentucky only has 7 2021 offers open right now and 3 available spots on paper. Duke has 4 offers out for 2 spots. These programs now zero in on their top targets, try to hit a couple in the fall, and do the rest in the spring. Penny's getting aggressive to compete on their level.

Link to post
Share on other sites

^What this means for Nesbitt, assuming Memphis is indeed the favorite for this afternoon's commitment, is that Penny has probably indicated to him that he's confident a few of his guys are going pro. The 2021 commitments Memphis has so far - Minott and Camden - are both more wing-type players, whereas Nesbitt sees himself as a big combo guard.

Memphis is a finalist for both Deebo Coleman (top 11) and J.D. Davison (top 6), and I was hoping one of those guys would play spoiler - Davison is an electric PG and Coleman has combo guard abilities. I would take Nesbitt over Coleman for sure, but Davison is one of the top few PGs in the class. I'm also not sure what their timelines look like. Memphis would be wise to take a Nesbitt commitment today instead of waiting on either.

Memphis is also in the final 12 for top-10 overall player Jaden Hardy but they're not looking like one of the favorites to land him. Those are the three other guards they have offers out to right now (VC shows Michael Trigg, but he's down to 3 other schools and is looking to play both football and basketball).

So as crowded and complicated as Memphis' roster looks right now, I don't think there's anything actually in Nesbitt's way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Has anyone ever seen a program go this many schollies over the limit?  I haven't.

I don’t know the number but Pitino had several over the limit at Louisville. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Littlebill said:

You’d also think that a guy who was in The Sixth Man would recruit more basketball playing ghosts, but here we are. Still a roster with zero ghosts

Ghosts might help explain the FT shooting 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Pistol said:

^What this means for Nesbitt, assuming Memphis is indeed the favorite for this afternoon's commitment, is that Penny has probably indicated to him that he's confident a few of his guys are going pro. The 2021 commitments Memphis has so far - Minott and Camden - are both more wing-type players, whereas Nesbitt sees himself as a big combo guard.

Memphis is a finalist for both Deebo Coleman (top 11) and J.D. Davison (top 6), and I was hoping one of those guys would play spoiler - Davison is an electric PG and Coleman has combo guard abilities. I would take Nesbitt over Coleman for sure, but Davison is one of the top few PGs in the class. I'm also not sure what their timelines look like. Memphis would be wise to take a Nesbitt commitment today instead of waiting on either.

Memphis is also in the final 12 for top-10 overall player Jaden Hardy but they're not looking like one of the favorites to land him. Those are the three other guards they have offers out to right now (VC shows Michael Trigg, but he's down to 3 other schools and is looking to play both football and basketball).

So as crowded and complicated as Memphis' roster looks right now, I don't think there's anything actually in Nesbitt's way.

They are in the final four for Skyy Clark who is rumored to maybe reclassify to 2021 but crystal balls are going to Kentucky for him right now.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Pistol said:

When you look at mock 2021 NBA Drafts, there are usually 2-3 Memphis players going, and usually in the second round. NBADraft.net has Moussa Cisse and Landers Nolley going in the second round. NBA Draft Room has Cisse in the first, with Nolley and Boogie Ellis in the second. Rookie Wire has Lester Quinones and D.J. Jeffries going in the second. Another one has Cisse in the second. So that's 5 different players with possible 2021 early entry prospects, depending on how things go. And there are always transfers, of course.

My guess is that at least 3 of the 5 have given Penny some sort of indication that they're going pro after this season and he's comfortable oversubscribing now based on that. He's competing with Kentucky and Kansas and Duke for recruits now, so he's clearly comfortable with the churn of early exit players. But yes, it's very unusual to be oversubscribed by multiple scholarships, let alone in the fall. By comparison, Kentucky only has 7 2021 offers open right now and 3 available spots on paper. Duke has 4 offers out for 2 spots. These programs now zero in on their top targets, try to hit a couple in the fall, and do the rest in the spring. Penny's getting aggressive to compete on their level.

Based on what I saw of Penny's motley crew last year, I will be shocked if three of them are good enough to go to the NBA after this season. Overseas maybe, but they could have gone to any school to accomplish that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...