Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Another 2021 name, this one a JUCO player:

Yazid Powell - G, 6-4, 185 - Philadelphia, PA (Harcum College) - Twitter: @zidpowell
Offers: Rider, Central Connecticut State, Mississippi Valley State.

Interest: Saint Louis, Utah State, Cleveland State, Bowling Green, Southern Miss, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Southeastern Louisiana, James Madison, Towson, Marist, Cal State-Bakersfield, Cal Poly, Charleston Southern, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Coppin State, South Carolina State, Maryland-Eastern Shore.

Latest News: Powell has new interest from SLU. (4/26/21)

Scouting Report: Powell is a combo guard with good size and strength. He can shoot it a little bit from outside but does most of his work getting to the basket. He finishes hard in transition. He rebounds his position well and is a tough defender who creates turnovers. He averaged 17.4 PPG, 7.1 RPG, and 3.9 APG this season, with a slashline of .538/.275/.743.

-He spent his first two HS years at Boys' Latin School, transferred to West Philadelphia to finish out his junior year (but didn't play), and transferred to Overbook for his senior year. He was ruled ineligible, spent his senior year at Rocktop Academy, a prep program based in Philly, but was only lightly recruited. So he planned to do a prep year at Mt. Zion Prep in Maryland, committed to Rider before that season, wound up taking the prep year at Olympus Prep Academy in New Jersey, decommitted from Rider, and did his first college season at Community College of Beaver County (PA). He spent this season at Harcum College, also in PA. While at CCBC last season, he scored 81 in a game as a tribute to Kobe Bryant, matching Kobe's career high. His offers shown above are all from HS.

How do we know there is a SLU interest? A social media follow or is it mentioned somewhere?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/26/2021 at 5:43 PM, ACE said:

How do we know there is a SLU interest? A social media follow or is it mentioned somewhere?

Social media follow. I have some more I'm posting soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2021 at 2:40 PM, Pistol said:

Another 2021 name, this one a JUCO player:

Yazid Powell - G, 6-4, 185 - Philadelphia, PA (Harcum College) - Twitter: @zidpowell
Offers: Rider, Central Connecticut State, Mississippi Valley State.

Interest: Saint Louis, Utah State, Cleveland State, Bowling Green, Southern Miss, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Southeastern Louisiana, James Madison, Towson, Marist, Cal State-Bakersfield, Cal Poly, Charleston Southern, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Coppin State, South Carolina State, Maryland-Eastern Shore.

Latest News: Powell has new interest from SLU. (4/26/21)

Scouting Report: Powell is a combo guard with good size and strength. He can shoot it a little bit from outside but does most of his work getting to the basket. He finishes hard in transition. He rebounds his position well and is a tough defender who creates turnovers. He averaged 17.4 PPG, 7.1 RPG, and 3.9 APG this season, with a slashline of .538/.275/.743.

-He spent his first two HS years at Boys' Latin School, transferred to West Philadelphia to finish out his junior year (but didn't play), and transferred to Overbook for his senior year. He was ruled ineligible, spent his senior year at Rocktop Academy, a prep program based in Philly, but was only lightly recruited. So he planned to do a prep year at Mt. Zion Prep in Maryland, committed to Rider before that season, wound up taking the prep year at Olympus Prep Academy in New Jersey, decommitted from Rider, and did his first college season at Community College of Beaver County (PA). He spent this season at Harcum College, also in PA. While at CCBC last season, he scored 81 in a game as a tribute to Kobe Bryant, matching Kobe's career high. His offers shown above are all from HS.

With all the moving around this guy does, Bounce U may be in his future.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2021 at 3:57 PM, someoneelse said:

With all the moving around this guy does, Bounce U may be in his future.  

You have completely missed the most important point:
 

He’s from West Philadelphia born and raised, on the playground is where he spent most of his days...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I am slightly surprised that to this point from what I can gather we have shown no interest in either Malevy Leons or Tyem Freeman.  Freeman is now completely recovered from his ACL injury and he is again the highlight machine he was before the injury.  Freeman sat out a half a year at MO St. with his ACL injury before transferring to Indian Hills.  He would come in as a sophomore eligibility wise.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I am slightly surprised that to this point from what I can gather we have shown no interest in either Malevy Leons or Tyem Freeman.  Freeman is now completely recovered from his ACL injury and he is again the highlight machine he was before the injury.  Freeman sat out a half a year at MO St. with his ACL injury before transferring to Indian Hills.  He would come in as a sophomore eligibility wise.  

 

Just guessing but probably there are so many players on the roster that play that position and the team just added Nesbitt.

I am still hoping for a big and combo guard.

With so many players out there I wonder how the 2 scholarships will be filled.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To me, JUCOs are always suspect because of the transfer requirements and SLU not having a PE degree.  I don't know anything about these guys academically, but that would be my first question on JUCOs.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I am slightly surprised that to this point from what I can gather we have shown no interest in either Malevy Leons or Tyem Freeman.  Freeman is now completely recovered from his ACL injury and he is again the highlight machine he was before the injury.  Freeman sat out a half a year at MO St. with his ACL injury before transferring to Indian Hills.  He would come in as a sophomore eligibility wise.  

 

I was always surprised we never got in on Freeman when he was in high school. There were rumblings of character issues when he left Missouri State, but later on it was reported Missouri State was open to him returning so who knows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I was always surprised we never got in on Freeman when he was in high school. There were rumblings of character issues when he left Missouri State, but later on it was reported Missouri State was open to him returning so who knows.

I heard there were questions if he would qualify out of High school and that is what caused many programs to back off.  Supposedly his transcript was a mess, but he ended qualifying and he left the Bears in good academic standing.

I think the JUCO kids are really get lost in the flood of transfers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

To me, JUCOs are always suspect because of the transfer requirements and SLU not having a PE degree.  I don't know anything about these guys academically, but that would be my first question on JUCOs.  

I am not saying this is the case, but there may be enough compatibility between a physical therapy major and a PE major to allow the transfer of some credits. Whatever is missing could be made up during summers. I am NOT saying Freeman would like to enter a Physical Therapy major, which  is very difficult.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I heard there were questions if he would qualify out of High school and that is what caused many programs to back off.  Supposedly his transcript was a mess, but he ended qualifying and he left the Bears in good academic standing.

I think the JUCO kids are really get lost in the flood of transfers.

Are they?  Or are there better players already in the portal?  I could see if there was another Javonte Perkins averaging 26 points a game that isn't getting offers but I haven't seen that player.

Link to post
Share on other sites

JUCO kids don't get the love they deserve, but there is a reason. They typically need a year in the weight room and some healthy eating to get caught up physically, and many, with only 2 years left, are considered too risky. They don't come from programs with strength coach's, fueling stations, nutritionist and training tables. They live off Mcdonald's. Perkins is a perfect example, who was a JUCO all-american, with very few offers. He was physically behind his fellow juniors by a lot and I think a lot of coach's back off these guys for that reason. Hat's off to the SLU staff for seeing past all that on Javonte.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DOC said:

JUCO kids don't get the love they deserve, but there is a reason. They typically need a year in the weight room and some healthy eating to get caught up physically, and many, with only 2 years left, are considered too risky. They don't come from programs with strength coach's, fueling stations, nutritionist and training tables. They live off Mcdonald's. Perkins is a perfect example, who was a JUCO all-american, with very few offers. He was physically behind his fellow juniors by a lot and I think a lot of coach's back off these guys for that reason. Hat's off to the SLU staff for seeing past all that on Javonte.

Double hats off to SLU for not allowing Javonte's recruitment to get to December, never mind the spring.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some 2021 notes:

-Check out bios for Christian Moore and Yazid Powell in the Recruiting Lists thread if you haven't yet. New interests as of April.

-Ola Ajiboye said he wanted to commit in April. This is the second time he's delayed his announcement. He's spoken with South Dakota State, Fairleigh Dickinson, and UIC recently. He was high on SLU for a long time but doesn't appear to have a spot there anymore.

-Aaron Lemon-Warren was PA's 5A POY and has a new offer from Fordham. After seeing his stock rise with a Penn State offer, he's become a victim of both a coaching change there and a bad year to be a HS senior.

-Wesley Cardet signed with Samford. Huge get for them. He spent most of his HS career as a top-100 recruit with offers from every major conference. There will be more guys like this in 2021, who wind up going a couple levels lower than expected. His teammate A.J. Neal - still unsigned - could be another.

-Jordan Shorter and Daniel Rivera had SLU offers at one time but their recruitments have been virtually silent.

-P.J. Eason had offers from SLU, Mississippi State, and others at one time and ended up signing with Lincoln Memorial in D-II. Another sign of the times.

-Langston Wilson ended up at Washington after decommitting from Alabama. Top JUCO prospect this year.

-Tyty Washington picked Kentucky. He had a SLU offer, committed to Creighton, got out of his LOI, and reopened his recruitment.

-Most names on the interest list - Jordan Mitchell, Philipp Walz, Tahron Allen, Zek Montgomery, Jordan Rayford - have seen their recruitments slow or downgrade because of this insane year. Deiman Reyes is doing a little better, still getting occasional offers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Pistol said:

 

-Wesley Cardet signed with Samford. Huge get for them. He spent most of his HS career as a top-100 recruit with offers from every major conference. There will be more guys like this in 2021, who wind up going a couple levels lower than expected. His teammate A.J. Neal - still unsigned - could be another.

 

-cool, I hope this means with the talent cascade come March there are a couple 16's that beat 1's and 15's over 2's, especially if it is the correct 1's and 2's that get beat

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pistol said:

Some 2021 notes:

-Check out bios for Christian Moore and Yazid Powell in the Recruiting Lists thread if you haven't yet. New interests as of April.

-Ola Ajiboye said he wanted to commit in April. This is the second time he's delayed his announcement. He's spoken with South Dakota State, Fairleigh Dickinson, and UIC recently. He was high on SLU for a long time but doesn't appear to have a spot there anymore.

-Aaron Lemon-Warren was PA's 5A POY and has a new offer from Fordham. After seeing his stock rise with a Penn State offer, he's become a victim of both a coaching change there and a bad year to be a HS senior.

-Wesley Cardet signed with Samford. Huge get for them. He spent most of his HS career as a top-100 recruit with offers from every major conference. There will be more guys like this in 2021, who wind up going a couple levels lower than expected. His teammate A.J. Neal - still unsigned - could be another.

-Jordan Shorter and Daniel Rivera had SLU offers at one time but their recruitments have been virtually silent.

-P.J. Eason had offers from SLU, Mississippi State, and others at one time and ended up signing with Lincoln Memorial in D-II. Another sign of the times.

-Langston Wilson ended up at Washington after decommitting from Alabama. Top JUCO prospect this year.

-Tyty Washington picked Kentucky. He had a SLU offer, committed to Creighton, got out of his LOI, and reopened his recruitment.

-Most names on the interest list - Jordan Mitchell, Philipp Walz, Tahron Allen, Zek Montgomery, Jordan Rayford - have seen their recruitments slow or downgrade because of this insane year. Deiman Reyes is doing a little better, still getting occasional offers.

Cardet was still being courted by high majors late in the season.  Family ties won out.  Samford quietly hired his uncle after the pandemic started.  In a time where a lot of kids aren't even making campus visits, a familiar face matters more than ever.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...