Coaching Candidates

JMM28

ESPN reported that it is coach Ford so I will wait and see. If it is coach Ford all that I believed in Chris May and the search firm was wrong and I feel foolish. For those that are posting hiding in secrecy of who they are angry comments about the people that want to get rid of their season tickets, it is their money and those good fans have been their for this team and have had enough of being disappointed. To Volfan, stop it you liar I read your past posts you said it is an assistant not Ford. To Wiz thank you for your analysis and comments.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If SLU does hire Ford, I will never complain about how the media treats SLU again. This has clusterf.uck written all over it. I'm not a fan of Durando at all, but if he breaks news that is true, don't turn around and release a statement that it's not.

That said, I'm praying it's not true.

-I stepped back and looked where I was a month ago and that was doubting a change would be made, so big step #1 was taken and I appreciate it

-that being said, I really think almost anyone is an upgrade from where we were

-if Ford can recruit, put the ego aside. learn from his mistakes and have a couple good x and o assistants, we'll be fine

-we'll see

-I stepped back and looked where I was a month ago and that was doubting a change would be made, so big step #1 was taken and I appreciate it

-that being said, I really think almost anyone is an upgrade from where we were

-if Ford can recruit, put the ego aside. learn from his mistakes and have a couple good x and o assistants, we'll be fine

-we'll see

But that is the problem with hiring Ford. We will have to wait and see - much like many us of said after the 2014-15 season with Crews. Hiring of a new coach usually brings about the feeling of a new start, fresh potential and a sense of optimism and euphoria for the next season. We get none of this with Ford - he was just fired from a job and lambasted by his fan base pretty much the same way we lambasted Crews - nice guy but terrible coach.

But that is the problem with hiring Ford. We will have to wait and see - much like many us of said after the 2014-15 season with Crews. Hiring of a new coach usually brings about the feeling of a new start, fresh potential and a sense of optimism and euphoria for the next season. We get none of this with Ford - he was just fired from a job and lambasted by his fan base pretty much the same way we lambasted Crews - nice guy but terrible coach.

-for any coach, Drew included, we would have to wait and see what the results would be

-I get that with folks pissing on the thought of this hire the feeling is not what many seem to have wanted

Stallings and Drew were clearly my top two preferences, along with some others who I liked who were never apparently given consideration like Sendek and Grant, so not thrilled if the choice is Ford. My impression of Ford has always been that he is not a great x's and o's coach. But after digging into his career a bit more, there are some things that offer hope.

-He has familiarity with the A-10, the recruiting territory etc. While he was only in the league three years, he was a big improvement over his predecessor at UMass- Lappas failed to make the postseason of any kind, so Ford didn't exactly walk into a great situation. In year 2, his team is league co-champs. His third and final season he makes NIT finals. Hopefully he has developed some East Coast recruiting contacts from his time there.

- Okie State wasn't exactly in great shape when he took over. They had not been to the Dance in the three years prior to Ford arriving. He gets them in right away, hits a lull, builds it back, then ends with a clunker. He clearly failed in the tourney and that was his undoing.

- He is only 46 and already has a lot of experience.

- He is not Crews or Sodie.

- Of all the candidates mentioned, he may be best positioned to make an immediate impact on the recruiting trail. His dad is very connected on the AAU circuit. He is buddies with the coach from IMG - that is why the 3.3 star 6-11 kid backed out of his commitment to OSU after Ford got fired. Maybe that kid winds up here as a replacement for Jolly. As some have pointed out, Ford is naturally going to get a higher level of recruit at OSU, but conversely he is also competing against a higher level coach - Self, Kruger, Huggins, etc. Those guys aren't in the A-10. I don't expect Ford to get 4-star recruits at SLU, but I could see us starting to land a few recruits in that Top 150 range. Of all the candidates, he may be the most likely bet for a quick turnaround. I still have questions if he would be able to build a sustainable program.

- Still holding out hope for Drew, but IF Ford is the choice, let's get this moving. He should be well-positioned to hit the ground running as far as assembling the staff and fill any available scholarships that are likely to pop up this spring.

There should be a lot of SLU talk today on Frank's show at 10.

Bernie actually referenced this board during my commute at 7...he said it gave him a good laugh whilst laying in bed. So we know he reads us.

Yeah, I'm already sick of all the local sports personalities chastising us for being spoiled and entitled due to our disappointment with Ford. It's utter nonsense. It's hypocritical for these yahoos who hardly ever come to SLU games and only pay attention to college basketball during March to criticize us.

I'm disappointed in the hire only because of my own expectations. I shouldn't have had high expectations. I keep reminding myself of the tagline: it's not easy being a Billiken fan. This tagline rings so true once again. We're a not a high end basketball program. We want to be, but we're not. The hiring of Majerus was an anomaly that brainwashed us all to thinking that we were a higher end program than we really are. Crews brought up back to reality. However, we can still build the program and can do it with Travis Ford. It doesn't mean we can build a strong program overnight with him, but I do believe he can move the program forward for now. We don't need him to take us to the Elite 8, but we do need him to bring this train back on track. If he can bring in some solid recruits that have great potential, things can start changing and heading in the right direction. The key will be for SLU to know when to cut ties and bring in a new coach that takes us to a higher level than Ford took us. I'm just not confident SLU will handle the post-Ford phase correctly.

For now, I guess I have to wait and hope Ford will do his part - get us to tourney within 2-3 years and then make the tourney consistently for a couple more years. Then, bring in another Coach who can bring us at least to the Sweet 16 and beyond.

Bernie actually referenced this board during my commute at 7...he said it gave him a good laugh whilst laying in bed. So we know he reads us.

Yeah, I'm already sick of all the local sports personalities chastising us for being spoiled and entitled due to our disappointment with Ford. It's utter nonsense. It's hypocritical for these yahoos who hardly ever come to SLU games and only pay attention to college basketball during March to criticize us.

Especially since nobody here was clamoring for a coach from a power conference, necessarily. That's what the media types seem to be hung up on--"SLU is lucky to get a guy from the Big 12." They're accusing the diehards of having unrealistic expectations without even bothering to figure out what the expectations were.

Especially since nobody here was clamoring for a coach from a power conference, necessarily. That's what the media types seem to be hung up on--"SLU is lucky to get a guy from the Big 12." They're accusing the diehards of having unrealistic expectations without even bothering to figure out what the expectations were.

Exactly. I keep hearing hyperbolic statements like "SLU ain't gettin' Izzo or Self or Krzyzewski to come to Midtown"...what an idiotic misrepresentation of the fandom's actual position.

Bernie this morning: "SLU fans are upset that the administration didnt go to Oklahoma City and get Billy Donovan". Yeah Bernie, thats exactly what we are saying.

I would eat a human baby if he could correctly state where TJ Otzelberger coaches currently. Or Caputo. Or Martin Ingelsby. So ###### ridiculous.

Bernie this morning: "SLU fans are upset that the administration didnt go to Oklahoma City and get Billy Donovan". Yeah Bernie, thats exactly what we are saying.

Bernie is a great writer but terrible on the radio and gets personal. No need to waste your time listening to his radio show.