Coaching Candidates

JMM28

How many transfers out did we have the last 4 years? 3 I think. And we didn't exactly hit home runs. Keep in mind recruiting to slu is not like recruiting to ok state where you have Maybe the biggest college sports booster in America plus all the advantages of a large big 12 public school.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That kind of thing is real common. The firing team pays a buy out up to X per year for Y years. The hiring team really has nothing to do with that at all though it can be taken into account for the salary for those years. The firing team has to pay the difference normally.

See Will Muschamp to Auburn from HC at UF to AC at AU

I don't foresee a contract negotiation as the hold up here. That's all speculation on my part though.

Thanks for the info, definitely makes me question what the hold up is as well. Although I think it is just that: a hold up. I'm pretty sure he's our guy.

I see Frank C. is in full homer mode now about the hiring of Travis Ford. Here is Ford's coaching career by the #s:

Oklahoma State

2015-16 - 12-10 overall/3-15 in conference (9th place finish in conference)

2014-15 - 18-14 overall/8-10 in conference (T-6th place in conference) - NCAA Tournament #9 seed (lost in opening round)

2013-14 - 21-13 overall/8-10 in conference (8th place in conference) - NCAA Tournament #9 seed (lost in opening round)

2012-13 - 24-9 overall/13-5 in conference (3rd place in conference) - NCAA Tournament #5 seed (lost in opening round)

2011-12 - 15-18 overall/7-11 in conference (7th place in conference)

2010-11 - 20-14 overall/6-10 in conference (9th place in conference) - NIT

2009-10 - 22-11 overall/9-7 in conference (T-6th place in conference) - NCAA Tournament #7 seed (lost in opening round)

2008-09 - 23-12 overall/9-7 in conference (T-4th place in conference) - NCAA Tournament #8 seed (won opening round game and lost in next round)

Overall at Oklahoma State - 155-111 overall/63-80 in conferene - 1 NCAA Tournament win

-So around .500 and middle of the conference most seasons which for the Big 12 puts you in the tournament where his teams primarily lost in the opening round.

UMass

2007-08 - 25-11 overall/10-6 in conference (3rd place in conference) - NIT (runners-up)

2006-07 - 24-9 overall/13-3 in conference (T-1st in conference) -NIT (2nd round)

2005-06 - 13-15 overall/8-8 in conference (T-7th in conference)

Overall at UMass - 62-35 overall/31-17 in conference

-So solid success at UMass, I guess that run in the NIT set him up for the Okie State job?

Eastern Kentucky

2004-05 - 22-9 overall/11-5 in conference (2nd place in conference) - NCAA Tournament #15 seed (lost in opening round)

2003-04 - 14-15 overall/8-8 in conference (4th place in conference)

2002-03 - 11-17 overall/5-11 in conference (T-8th place in conference)

2001-02 - 7-20 overall/3-13 in conference (9th place in conference)

200-01 - 7-19 overall/1-15 in conference (9th place in conference)

Overall at EKU - 61-80 overall/28-52 in conference

-So one good season at EKU.

Overall that puts him at 278-226 overall/122-149 in conference with one shared regular season conference championship at UMass and one NCAA Tournament win. So we have a coach who has proven to be mediocre? And we are foolish for wanting more than that?

Of the last 6 seasons , this was OK St's worst year . Playing in the A+ rated B12 conf (which I would say was the best conf in 2015-16) they had a dismal record...But when you consider they were playing with a squad decimated by injuries and an A rated schedule (including OOC games ...30th toughest) plus 13 top 50 games and 10 top 25 games...they held their own. That 12-20 record (a B rated) team was far different from the Bills 11-21 (D+ ) . According to my numbers had the OK St team played in the A-10 this year they would have finished at 9-9 or about the same as RI. While .500 is nothing to write home about ...remember this was their worst season...way better than finishing 5-13....and the other 5 years were much better.

Ford's record has been good enough for a coaching chance here. The metrics show he will be competitive in the A-10 I think he will do fine . Was he the best hire? Time will tell. I will support him till he gives me a reason not to.

How many transfers out did we have the last 4 years? 3 I think. And we didn't exactly hit home runs. Keep in mind recruiting to slu is not like recruiting to ok state where you have Maybe the biggest college sports booster in America plus all the advantages of a large big 12 public school.

and don't forget SLU's academic restrictions in regards to initial admissions, continuing eligibility and transfers. Just slightly more difficult from the place known as Okie Lite.

Re: transfers

I think many of the transfers today (in CBB) happen due to coaching changes. You could essentially view Crews's time at SLU as an extension of the old staff. Because it was essentially the same guys minus RickMa.

Now, whoever the hire will be, it will be a completely different regime - so different atmosphere, different set of expectations, etc. That's not what the current crop of guys signed up for, so that would be a huge reason for a lot of these guys to move elsewhere.

I will support the team. I think this is a bad selection from a PR standpoint. We just had a coach who demoralized the fanbase and now we hire a guy who did the same to his fans (see twitter reaction from OSU people if you doubt me). Why not hire an up and coming coach and/or assistant who came from a winning program? It would give fans hope.

Of the last 6 seasons , this was OK St's worst year . Playing in the A+ rated B12 conf (which I would say was the best conf in 2015-16) they had a dismal record...But when you consider they were playing with a squad decimated by injuries and an A rated schedule (including OOC games ...30th toughest) plus 13 top 50 games and 10 top 25 games...they held their own. That 12-20 record (a B rated) team was far different from the Bills 11-21 (D+ ) . According to my numbers had the OK St team played in the A-10 this year they would have finished at 9-9 or about the same as RI. While .500 is nothing to write home about ...remember this was their worst season...way better than finishing 5-13....and the other 5 years were much better.

Ford's record has been good enough for a coaching chance here. The metrics show he will be competitive in the A-10 I think he will do fine . Was he the best hire? Time will tell. I will support him till he gives me a reason not to.

Joe Castiglione, the Oklahoma AD, told Frank Cusumano this morning (on 920cbssports/insidestl.com) that Travis Ford's OSU team this season ('15-'16) had injury problems. All 3 of Cusumano's guests, Barry Tramel, a well known sportswriter for The Oklahoman, John Pelphrey, Ford's former teammate at Kentucky (under Rick Pitino) and the former Head Coach at Arkansas, and Castiglione, were complimentary of Travis Ford as a Coach. Pelphrey said Ford is a "great hire." Frank Cusumano said Ford has had 3 McDonald's All-Americans.

I think SLU is fortunate to get a Travis Ford, if that is in fact the case.

Let's go Bills!

Yeah seriously. Travis Ford is an okay hire and that's fine. You post like an 8 year old throwing a temper tantrum. Just as coaches have to go through stepping stones so do programs. We're bottom the of NCAA now. Ford has to win. He can rehab this program and his career and when he leaves for greener pastures we'll he better positioned to bring in a hot shot up and comer.

Fully and completely agree

and don't forget SLU's academic restrictions in regards to initial admissions, continuing eligibility and transfers. Just slightly more difficult from the place known as Okie Lite.

We have no restrictions - this is a myth. Years ago the school has allowed any athlete on a schollie in if they meet the NCAA minimum requirements. Juccos may have some other credit issue that would be specific to the individual.

Of the last 6 seasons , this was OK St's worst year.

But his record suggests him finding a way to finish right around .500 in league play regardless of the amount of elite talent on his roster. His best season in the Big 12 was with a team ranked in the top 5 heading into the season and he manged to lose 9 games with that roster and not win a game in the tournament. This guy is as mediocre as they come, the white Frank Haith. He is sold as a big time recruiter and a bad x's and o's coach, one of those will definitely translate to SLU.

But his record suggests him finding a way to finish right around .500 in league play regardless of the amount of elite talent on his roster. His best season in the Big 12 was with a team ranked in the top 5 heading into the season and he manged to lose 9 games with that roster and not win a game in the tournament. This guy is as mediocre as they come, the white Frank Haith. He is sold as a big time recruiter and a bad x's and o's coach, one of those will definitely translate to SLU.

Well at least we didn't hire a D2 coach.

Well one of his assistants from OKState just got hired at NCState.

Another one who I mentioned earlier, Bill Grier who was an assistant at Gonzaga for 15 years, recently signed with Colorado. I thought he could have been a good fit here.

Here's what I don't get about the situation. I totally understand if there are some contractual hold-ups and SLU couldn't confirm the hiring. But why did they feel like they had to say it wasn't true? I agree with bonwich, there is zero chance Stu would have been able to go public with that if multiple people didn't feel comfortable with his source. So what's the hold up?

Here's what I don't get about the situation. I totally understand if there are some contractual hold-ups and SLU couldn't confirm the hiring. But why did they feel like they had to say it wasn't true? I agree with bonwich, there is zero chance Stu would have been able to go public with that if multiple people didn't feel comfortable with his source. So what's the hold up?

As far as I know, they didn't say it wasn't true. They just said that they haven't hired a coach yet.

This situation really could get worse. If this falls through with Ford, and Drew had no intention of coming here, this could get real interesting.

Interesting could = Leon Rice.

We have no restrictions - this is a myth. Years ago the school has allowed any athlete on a schollie in if they meet the NCAA minimum requirements. Juccos may have some other credit issue that would be specific to the individual.

who on our current roster is a hotel management or a physical education major? the big public universities have oodles of majors available for their students that slu does not have. all the more ability to find a way to get a recruit to come. i consider that a "restriction".