Coaching Candidates

JMM28

That said, he's not going anywhere in the Midwest. He's a big city guy, his wife is an actress and fashion designer. He lived in a SoHo loft, that's his style. I would be surprised if he coaches anywhere again.http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/steve-lavin-new-coach-st-john-wife-mary-ann-jarou-set-city-storm-article-1.173300

Show him the money and they will follow.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, maybe some of the current sophomores will transfer down to conferences (or a level like Lancona in the case of Jolly) that better fit their talent level and they can have more success too.

I assume people are basing them being talented on the fact that they were largely 3 star recruits? The sophomore guards are just odd players, guys sold as combo guards who lack the skill/athleticism to really stand out at either position (more tweener guards than combo guards). The two bigs lack the athleticism/strength/skill to score/defend/rebound in the post and don't have the perimeter ability to truly be a matchup problem away from the basket, so they are just there when playing. And then that leaves a lazy tweener who makes the same mistakes game after game despite likely having the most talent on the team. Essentially a completely lost class, but this was a class on paper that never truly made sense as a whole.

How soon we forget. This year's Soph class has clearly regressed and is not getting the job done. We all agree.

But no, my assertion that this class does has talent -- some more than others -- to win 18 games in the A10 -- not a lesser conference -- is based upon their performances last year. None of our Sophs needed to received significant time last year in that we had McBroom, Manning, Lancona, Reggie, Crawford, Ash and Glaze. These guys failed to develop and respond for Crews so he played this year's Sophs alot last year -- and they helped carry the team. Yes, we were terrible last and terrible this year but most guys should make incremental improvement each year -- not regress. When the team regresses from what they already proved they can do, we have a coaching problem. And I believe they have regressed because they do not respect Crews, that appear to hate him and they certainly have quit playing for him. Making bottom assessments of talent upon guys who have checked out does not seem accurate to me.

Anyone know how much pressure Kevin stallings is feeling these days and his contract status?

I would like coach Stallings to be the next SLU coach but when I asked that question on this site the response was that SLU tried but coach Stallings did not have any interest.

That was for previous openings - I thought he was doing well at Vandy?

15-11 overall and 7-6 in the conference this year.

Overall at Vandy 312-205

Overall coaching record is 426-258.

Coach of the year 1999, 2007, 2010

SEC tournament Champions 2012

He might be caught up in what have you done for me lately.

In the long run he has done well, but this year was the year Vandy had huge pre-season expectations. They haven't come close to living up to them.

Stallings has been listed on the "hot seat" in recent years. He would fit the profile of what I would be looking for. Vandy has got to be a tough place to win at - an academic outlier in a cesspool conference. He has made a couple of Sweet 16s, but not much success recently. Maybe Vandy will think it is the end of the road. The guy is definitely not a job hopper and he has local ties.

I think Stallings was interviewed when we hired Romar. The selection committee was put off because he told them he had to have improved facilities and good pay for his assistants to be successful. After he was not considered for the job he said he had never been less upset about not getting a job. His attitude may change now since there are better facilities,but I don't think our assistant salaries are up to snuff.

If we want him we made need to call in the dude. His brother played with him on those Collinsville teams.

Gene Keady was definitely with Steve Lavin at St. John's as an assistant coach, breaking down game film and serving as a bench coach during games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Keady

Much earlier Lavin was on Keady's staff at Purdue. So Lavin has worked in the Midwest.

SLU should not close any doors, especially with an available coach out there like a Steve Lavin.

Keady was a special assistant. He was not allowed to coach the players. Lavin's bench coaches were Mike Dunlap, Tony Chiles and Rico Hines and when Dunlap left Jim Whitsell left SLU for St. John's.

Yes, it's true Lav was on Purdue's staff, 25 years ago. Times have changed, especially with MJ in the picture.

Also, the knock on Lavin that led to his undoing at St. John's was his lack of visibility recruiting, especially locally. Plus, he left the cupboard rather bare at St. John's. He had multiple guys not qualify academically or leave due to disciplinary issues, things that wouldn't go over well at SLU, especially when they'd have to pay him over $2 million a year to come.

No retreads. SLU needs an energetic, up and coming coach, be it an assistant from a top program (e.g. Dane Fife) or a successful low to mid-major who was able to win without the facilities and resources SLU can offer (e.g. Scott Nagy).

Keady was a special assistant. He was not allowed to coach the players. Lavin's bench coaches were Mike Dunlap, Tony Chiles and Rico Hines and when Dunlap left Jim Whitsell left SLU for St. John's.

Yes, it's true Lav was on Purdue's staff, 25 years ago. Times have changed, especially with MJ in the picture.

Also, the knock on Lavin that led to his undoing at St. John's was his lack of visibility recruiting, especially locally. Plus, he left the cupboard rather bare at St. John's. He had multiple guys not qualify academically or leave due to disciplinary issues, things that wouldn't go over well at SLU, especially when they'd have to pay him over $2 million a year to come.

No retreads. SLU needs an energetic, up and coming coach, be it an assistant from a top program (e.g. Dane Fife) or a successful low to mid-major who was able to win without the facilities and resources SLU can offer (e.g. Scott Nagy).

I thought RM got the assistants pay increased to be competitive? I agree these retreads are not worth talking about. By the way RM was not retread.

When I was at SLU I worked at Sports Avenue in Union Station with Lavin's room-mate when he was at Purdue. This guy worked the scorers table for SLU WBB.

Boom, direct SLU ties.

However, I am still on the Diener Express. Guy will coach circles around Lavin. Box and I are in negotiations with Costco to provide him with membership as a benefit of his employment. We're searching out other boosters that may spring for AFLAC privileges fit our next coach to put the cherry on top of our total compensation package.

I thought RM got the assistants pay increased to be competitive? I agree these retreads are not worth talking about. By the way RM was not retread.

Majerus did have the pay increased. Sadly part of it was Majerus paying them out of his own pocket.

I think Stallings was interviewed when we hired Romar. The selection committee was put off because he told them he had to have improved facilities and good pay for his assistants to be successful. After he was not considered for the job he said he had never been less upset about not getting a job. His attitude may change now since there are better facilities,but I don't think our assistant salaries are up to snuff.

If we want him we made need to call in the dude. His brother played with him on those Collinsville teams.

The dude better use some of his money to help pay the salary. Stallings makes about 2 million per year. I can't see SLU putting up that much.

The dude better use some of his money to help pay the salary. Stallings makes about 2 million per year. I can't see SLU putting up that much.

We only have to put up that much money or more if you want to draw a coach away from a school where he is gainfully employed. If the coach gets fired, stands to reason they will be willing to work for less money then they currently receive. Applies for Groce, Stallings, whomever.

We only have to put up that much money or more if you want to draw a coach away from a school where he is gainfully employed. If the coach gets fired, stands to reason they will be willing to work for less money then they currently receive. Applies for Groce, Stallings, whomever.

-unless there is a bidding war

Weber did ok after getting fired by Illinois, but he had a much better track record than Groce.

He did better with Martin's holdovers but has not done as good with his own. Similar to what happened at U of I. I wouldn't say his track record is what led to his first year at K-State being very good.

For sure, but fired coaches aren't typically the objects of a bidding war. Certainly not a war that results in pay higher than what they are currently making.

-agreed, but might drive the compensation out of SLU's comfort zone versus being a lone suitor......woops, we very, very, very rarely play a zone