Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop trying to recycle coaches who have not been successful lately - this is not the NFL or MBL. A solid young coach who has experience recruiting at a high level, been in good successful programs and is hungry to go off on his own. I don't care if he leaves for a bigger program in 3-4 years just as long as he is successful and driven to win. We can then go after another coach who will find us maybe more desirable since we would have had good seasons if our guy is being courted.

Hire a scum like lavin and I'm done with the billikens. There is no reason to resort to the likes of that to be successful. We can do better and stay honorable.

Lol. Didn't our current head coach get fired from ARMY! for allegedly hitting a player? Didn't majerus get fired from Utah for yelling at a deaf player? There's some other pretty outrageous majerus stories too.

Let's not act like we only hire saints.

Lol. Didn't our current head coach get fired from ARMY! for allegedly hitting a player? Didn't majerus get fired from Utah for yelling at a deaf player? There's some other pretty outrageous majerus stories too.

Apparently you're unaware, like a child that just wandered into the room, BRoy didn't like either for those reasons.

That's why I'm looking toward BRoy as a possible future rider on the Diener Express

Give him an offer he can't refuse. Overpay. Get him here.

He made $1.8million at the end of his tenure at St. John's and leaving was a mutual decision. Can SLU match that? That said, likes doing TV and being on the west coast.

I prefer the assistant route. Dane Fife has been mentioned, that would be an excellent hire. Izzo has always respected SLU. He encouraged Gregory to pursue the job (after telling him not to pursue DePaul) when Romar left.

He made $1.8million at the end of his tenure at St. John's and leaving was a mutual decision. Can SLU match that? That said, likes doing TV and being on the west coast.

I prefer the assistant route. Dane Fife has been mentioned, that would be an excellent hire. Izzo has always respected SLU. He encouraged Gregory to pursue the job (after telling him not to pursue DePaul) when Romar left.

It's not a matter of CAN they, it's WILL they. SLU has the money to pay a coach like Lavin, but will they. Fife would be nice too.

No, Lavin is not. That said, he's staying on the West Coast. Plus, there is no way his wife is moving to STL. She's a fashion designer now. If he takes another job it will be at USF where is dad coached.

Yes he is. The NCAA sanctioned UCLA 3 times while Lavin was HC. He was notorious for hanging around player brokers like Myron Piggie.

Lavin came to St. John's w/ a big name. He had one of the best areas in the country to recruit from and St. John's did little while he was there. No. I like the former X guy from Winthrop. Familiar with the A10, knows the mid west recruiting area, and has had some success.

Here's my list. Not necessarily exhaustive, especially when it comes to assistant coaches. Also not in order of preference. If anything, the current head coaches might be in alphabetical order concerning the conference they coach in, because I went through conference standings for possible candidates.

Having seen a list I made when we hired Majerus, watch none of these guys, or one I referred to as a long-shot, end up being the coach.

Head Coaches

Pat Kelsey- Winthrop; Former Xavier Assistant. Winthrop is 18-7 and tied for first in the Big South

Kevin Keatts-UNC Wilmington; Former Louisville Assistant. Doing well in 2nd year at UNCW. Maybe not best to go with him because of Louisville issues.

Russell Turner-UC-Irvine; Went to NCAAs last year, 18-7 this year. Former NBA, Stanford, and Wake Forest assistant.

Bryce Drew-Valpo. Not likely, but nice to consider.

King Rice-Monmouth; Not too intrigued about him because he's on pace for only his 2nd over .500 in 5 years at Monmouth. Still, since Monmouth is doing well and is a big story, people will likely throw his name out there.

Keith Dambrot-Akron; Has had a good deal of success there, but has been there for a long time and may just be planning on staying there.

James Whitford-Ball State; barring a good finish to the season (meaning NCAA appearance), probably doesn't have the success needed yet. Third year at BSU, first 2 years were bad, but 3rd year has improved, and was an assistant under Sean Miller at Xavier and Arizona for 8 years.

Ben Jacobson-Northern Iowa; Probably in the "Not Likely" category with Drew and Dambrot. If he didn't jump after their great season last year, probably isn't going to SLU this year when they're a middle of the pack MVC team.

Leon Rice-Boise State; Decent record at BSU, 2 NCAA First Four appearances. Was an assistant at Gonzaga for 12 years before that.

Matt McCall-Chattanooga; First year there, 23-4. Was an assistant to Billy Donovan at Florida. Not sure how much of Chattanooga's success is due to him, or if it's a rollover of Will Wade, now at VCU.

Brad Underwood-Stephen F. Austin; 79-13 in his 3rd year now there. Upset VCU in 2014 NCAA Tournament.

Scott Nagy-South Dakota St; People have brought him up here, but he has built that program from the ground up, been there 20 years. Probably not too likely.

Will Brown-Albany; 3 straight NCAA tournaments, 5 total

Jerod Haase-UAB; Probably not too likely, got a contract extension last year doubling his salary, but if we're talking about Jacobson and Drew, might as well throw him in the mix.

Former College coaches

Herb Sendek; former Arizona St., NC State, and Miami OH. 400 NCAA wins, 8 NCAA Tournament trips and 10 NIT trips in 22 years

Anthony Grant; OKC Thunder Assistant. Former Alabama and VCU head coach. 193 NCAA Wins, 3 NCAA trips, 4 NIT trips in 9 seasons as a college head coach.

Rick Stansbury; Texas A&M assistant. Former Mississippi State head coach. 293 wins, 6 NCAA trips, 5 NIT trips in 14 seasons at MSU.

College Assistants

Chris Crutchfield-Oklahoma; someone mentioned him here a few weeks ago. Is said to have had a big role in the development of Buddy Hield.

Baker Dunleavy-Associate Head Coach at Villanova; Brother of NBA player Mike Dunleavy Jr., son of NBA coach Mike Dunleavy

Travis Steele-Associate Head Coach at Xavier.

Bacari Alexander and Lavall Jordan-Michigan assistants

"Bryce Drew-Valpo. Not likely, but nice to consider." DeSmet can you explain what you mean by not likely?

Thank you for the list.

Off DeSmet's list I'd want Kelsey, Drew, Turner, Jacobson, Underwood, Nagy, Brown, Crutchfield, Steele, or Fife.

Steele would honestly be my top choice. I wonder if he's wanting to stick around and be the next in line of Xavier assistants to get the head coaching job there. Chris Mack's name comes up for big schools every year yet he hasn't left yet. Maybe Illinois would do the trick?

"Bryce Drew-Valpo. Not likely, but nice to consider." DeSmet can you explain what you mean by not likely?

Thank you for the list.

I just think that if he were to leave Valpo, where he played and is a legend, he would leave for an opportunity that is just too good to pass up. I forget if he turned down DePaul or if they inexplicably decided to rehire Dave Leitao. Anyway, the chance to take over a SLU program that has been at or near the bottom of the A-10 for 2 years doesn't strike me as falling in the "too good to be true" category. I think the SLU job can be very intriguing to candidates, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking that we have the juice to pull in one of the top 2-3 candidates in the country.

I'd love to be wrong. I saw a list I made when Majerus was hired, and Rick either wasn't in there, or was in the long shot category. It's not like I'm working with inside information.

RM resigned - he may have yelled at a deaf kid but that did not get him fired. I am not sure if Crews hit the player or simply was verbally abusive or he may have grabbed players - not sure what actually happened at Army but he did get dumped.

But wasn't Woolard's "National Search" for a coaching candidate just limited to down the hall at West Pine to where Soderberg's cubbie was? How in the world did Brian Gregory try to pursue the job? Sit out on the quad?

I'll be honest. The louisville system is looking acceptable to me due to the awful, awful place we are at. We need transfers and talent that can play right now. Not projects. This whole program is a project right now.

We are far worse than when majerus first took over.

We need to get competitive(not winning. Competitive. CBI or NIT invite) within 3 years. I foresee real long term damage potential here. Who can make us not a laughingstock(except for geedub, as signguy no doubt remembers) anymore. We have to see some kind of basketball soon.

I fulle expect we may not see NCAA tourney for a long, long time. But this period of being Savannah State level could legitimately drive us into perennial loser status. We need some size and rebounding now now now. Get us a dude with players ready to go. Izzo tree may not be a bad way to go.

I'll be honest. The louisville system is looking acceptable to me due to the awful, awful place we are at. We need transfers and talent that can play right now. Not projects. This whole program is a project right now.

We are far worse than when majerus first took over.

We need to get competitive(not winning. Competitive. CBI or NIT invite) within 3 years. I foresee real long term damage potential here. Who can make us not a laughingstock(except for geedub, as signguy no doubt remembers) anymore. We have to see some kind of basketball soon.

I fulle expect we may not see NCAA tourney for a long, long time. But this period of being Savannah State level could legitimately drive us into perennial loser status. We need some size and rebounding now now now. Get us a dude with players ready to go. Izzo tree may not be a bad way to go.

-if we don't see the NCAA tourney for a long, long time then we made the wrong hire or hires