Coaching Candidates

JMM28

Torch who are your pipe dream never gonna happen candidates so I know who will be coaching next year

I'll write one up after Crews gets fired, shouldn't be long.

At the time Majerus was a pipe dream. People barely knew who Chaifetz was at that point.

I'm happy in knowing I predicted the debacle we are currently in while many others were predicting 20 wins and postseason play.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I think about it, I am intrigued by Anthony Grant. Not sure what a OKC Thunder assistant makes, but I am guessing he banked a lot at Alabama. And just for fun, what do people think of Larry Eustachy? Might be too old, but he has won just about everywhere he has been and was national coach of the year at ISU.

I'll write one up after Crews gets fired, shouldn't be long.

At the time Majerus was a pipe dream. People barely knew who Chaifetz was at that point.

I'm happy in knowing I predicted the debacle we are currently in while many others were predicting 20 wins and postseason play.

I was just messing with you. Nobody is going to be right honestly...

The more I think about it, I am intrigued by Anthony Grant. Not sure what a OKC Thunder assistant makes, but I am guessing he banked a lot at Alabama. And just for fun, what do people think of Larry Eustachy? Might be too old, but he has won just about everywhere he has been and was national coach of the year at ISU.

You are going to have to pay a $4.5 milllion dollar buyout for Eustachy and then probably have to pay him around $1.5 million a year. That is an awful lot of money for Eustachy. I do think he is a good coach.

-if Nattie Light is brewed on Pestalozzi I would think we would have an excellent chance to get Eustachy

I took a look at realtimerpi and looked at traditionally weaker schools to see what teams are on an upward trajectory. Here are the coaches for those teams:

Scott Cross - UT Arlington (previously mentioned by waldo)

Randy Bennett - St. Mary's (unfortunately, SLU is not likely an upgrade to St. Mary's at this point. It would have been when Crews was hired permanently)

Scott Nagy - SDSU (previously mentioned)

Ron Hunter - Georgia St.

Matt McCall - UT Chattanooga (has only been there one year)

Chris Beard - Ark. Little Rock

Tommy Amaker - Harvard (down year this year, but 20+ wins the last 5 seasons).

Bennett isn't leaving SMC. He's like Marshall, Few, Mack and other mid-major coaches who are bullet proof at their current institutions and get whatever they want. Plus, he's got some amazing property that he lives on in Moraga and doesn't want to leave that. Amaker gets whatever he wants at Harvard both financially and admissions wise and his wife is on the Med School faculty there. The money guys behind the program are ridiculous (Steve Ballmer, CEO's of Staples and Knight Financial, among others). I cannot imagine him leaving for anywhere but Duke.

Grant would be an intriguing hire. He's probably at least raking in $250K as a NBA assistant so SLU could upgrade that nicely. It depends if he wants to get back into the college game but it would be hard to get him away from his mentor, Billy Donovan. Not a chance on Eustachy. Colorado State has seriously upgraded their funding for the program (he's the highest paid coach in the MWC and they have dramatically increased pay for his assistants) and they are making a push to get into the Big 12 with new and upgraded facilities (probably a pipe dream but they will need to expand at some point).

Thought of this assistant name - Chris Carrawell, a Cardinal Ritter Prep grad who starred at Duke, played in the NBA and is currently an assistant at Marquette. Not that he would be a top candidate but as assistant names get thrown out the fact his high school alma mater is 2 blocks from campus and he learned from Coach K could be a plus. Maybe he could get Tatum to reconsider :).

-Carrawell was on with Frank last fall and came across very nicely in that interview, wouldn't hurt to give him an interview, I just hope interviews are taking place in March 2016

-I can't post a link as 920's page with podcasts is not showing in a format I can understand, everything just runs together

• 2 weeks later...

Romar might be safe for a while, after all. I mean, we thought so already, but some success this season has him looking like he's not going anywhere.

Fun article about how UW imploded last season due to a key player being booted and three players transferring out (not to mention two graduating), but has been rejuvenated by a talented freshman class. UW has only four returners; the team makes SLU look old and experienced.

Romar might be safe for a while, after all. I mean, we thought so already, but some success this season has him looking like he's not going anywhere.

Fun article about how UW imploded last season due to a key player being booted and three players transferring out (not to mention two graduating), but has been rejuvenated by a talented freshman class. UW has only four returners; the team makes SLU look old and experienced.

Washington is led by a senior, but otherwise is incredibly young (1 senior averaging 22 ppg/6.3 rpg/4.94 apg and 1 junior (JUCO transfer) averaging 7.2ppg/5.4 rpg/3bpg). They start 4 freshmen and their 6th man is a freshman, so 5 of their top 7 players are freshmen with only one senior. Despite that youth they are 13-5 overall and 5-1 in conference (54th in RPI and 90th in Pomeroy). They also have a McDonalds All-American signed, top #10 recruit Markelle Fultz. I would say the future is pretty bright for Washington.

My somewhat realistic wish is that Groce is the next coach. Obviously requires him getting canned by Illinois which seems quite possible to me. He is a good coach that has gotten unlucky with significant injuries and is all over the local recruiting scene. I think he'd step right in and maybe even salvage the 2017 recruiting class. Also think he will have had had his fair share of the "big lights" of the Big 10 and won't be as much of a flight risk should he turn it around here and get us back to the dance.

My somewhat realistic wish is that Groce is the next coach. Obviously requires him getting canned by Illinois which seems quite possible to me. He is a good coach that has gotten unlucky with significant injuries and is all over the local recruiting scene. I think he'd step right in and maybe even salvage the 2017 recruiting class. Also think he will have had had his fair share of the "big lights" of the Big 10 and won't be as much of a flight risk should he turn it around here and get us back to the dance.

I could totally get behind this idea. Midwest guy. Served under Matta at Butler, X, and OSU.

And he would bring SLU alum Jamall Walker with him.

Good call. I like this a lot. He would be our best shot at getting the 2017 kids from across the river.

Good call. I like this a lot. He would be our best shot at getting the 2017 kids from across the river.

You guys are great optimists. Im down for it but first Crews must go. I hope he does the truly gentlemanly thing and resigns. I will apologize for all of my abuse immediately if/when that happens.

Groce - get serious. He is not coming to SLU even if IL cans him. I have no idea who will be available but sure hope May is finding out.

Why not? This line of thinking is just off. If fired by IU then SLU would be a good landing spot for Groce. This is not Billiken Blue Glasses as I don't really advocate for him as the coach.

Hop on the Diener express....toot....toot