Billikens Bash

slu72 fan

he is a one and done. No chance he stays in school a second year and comes to SLU

Exactly... no way he's going to sit out a year to be able to play a season here. That's two years he'd be missing out on a paycheck/risking injury. He's gonna be out of high school for one year before going pro, and it's going to be at Duke barring anything catastrophic.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see Tatum there nor did I see our staff interaction with him but I don't see any benefit to our coaching staff being cold or less than enthusiastic with him. Let's not forget he is the son of an ex-Billiken who currently coaches one of the best highschool programs in the area. There is a good chance we will be recruiting one of Justin's players at some point in the future so why would you ever want to behave in a less than friendly manner to Jayson?

Yea to go with this, Jayson also knows and talks to other kids around the area. Similar to how Tatum would talk to Bradley Beal, I am sure there are younger kids talking to him (the 2018 kids) and kids that he played with on the Eagles that still are being recruited (Goodwin). Coach Crews and co aren't in any position to risk burning any bridges. If it weren't for one of the top basketball coaches in college history that just won a national championship again this year making him his number 1 priority, I do think he would've stayed home. Have to hope if kids ask him about SLU, he will say good things like he did to the media.

I would be more upset if Crews and them weren't friendly. I don't want him having any bad feelings toward SLU because he may want to be a high school coach in the area after basketball or something to that affect, don't want him to have any ill will towards the university.

I didn't see Tatum there nor did I see our staff interaction with him but I don't see any benefit to our coaching staff being cold or less than enthusiastic with him. Let's not forget he is the son of an ex-Billiken who currently coaches one of the best highschool programs in the area. There is a good chance we will be recruiting one of Justin's players at some point in the future so why would you ever want to behave in a less than friendly manner to Jayson?

I don't have a problem with the coaching staff being welcoming to him. I'm just surprised that he would want to be there.

I don't have a problem with the coaching staff being welcoming to him. I'm just surprised that he would want to be there.

Holy crap! Maybe he's changing his mind! I bet that's why we haven't signed anybody else for next season! The coaching staff knew this would happen. Man, I'm pumped now. FBJT!

Yea to go with this, Jayson also knows and talks to other kids around the area. Similar to how Tatum would talk to Bradley Beal, I am sure there are younger kids talking to him (the 2018 kids) and kids that he played with on the Eagles that still are being recruited (Goodwin). Coach Crews and co aren't in any position to risk burning any bridges. If it weren't for one of the top basketball coaches in college history that just won a national championship again this year making him his number 1 priority, I do think he would've stayed home. Have to hope if kids ask him about SLU, he will say good things like he did to the media.

I would be more upset if Crews and them weren't friendly. I don't want him having any bad feelings toward SLU because he may want to be a high school coach in the area after basketball or something to that affect, don't want him to have any ill will towards the university.

Of course the coaching staff should be nice to everyone... Buy why would Tatum go to the Billiken Bash after so recently committing to Duke? Haha Kinda crazy.

It's kind of like your girlfriend dumping you for another guy you really don't like but then showing up at your birthday party a week later...

Tatum will be a great ambassador! "Guys, make friends with the team. String them along for months. Break the hearts of the faithful. Go big time. You'll still be welcomed with open arms because SLU is desperate."

Yeah I have no problem with being cordial. but the he could be an ambassador or he could donate to the U is a joke. What the hell would he tell people when asked about SLU? "Well you might not be good enough so you should definitely go there, I was too good for that place though"

+1

If Duke uses our secret alley oop play against us in the championship game I'm going to be beyond pissed.

You're going to be pissed that we made it to the championship game and are playing Duke? I would be ecstatic until my wife woke me up from my Sunday afternoon nap, and I realized it was only a dream.

As to the actual practice itself; it's all about your perspective. If you are inclined to the positive side of things you'd note that we made a lot of threes and Malik got to the basket and finished with ease. If you are inclined to the negative side of things you'll see those open threes and Malik's scoring as a sign of bad defense. Both are probably right to some extent.

I wasn't there, but I'd say this is accurate. Reading into anything is probably not a great idea either way. The way I see this team is beat Dayton one day. Lose at home to Fordham the next.

As to the actual practice itself; it's all about your perspective. If you are inclined to the positive side of things you'd note that we made a lot of threes and Malik got to the basket and finished with ease. If you are inclined to the negative side of things you'll see those open threes and Malik's scoring as a sign of bad defense. Both are probably right to some extent.

This is very true. And I will admit I am going to these events with a colored perspective. I was hoping to see more of an offense run - but it simply may be a different type of offense that Crews is installing.

Tatum's presence is not particularly complicated as it relates to SLU. He's been coming to SLU for a few years now. He's got friends on the team and has built relationships with the coaches.

He's also a smart, savvy kid who knows he's a HS basketball superstar with the potential to be something of a basketball ambassador for St. Louis. For better or worse, young star athletes are more legacy-conscious today than ever before. He's making himself visible in ways players of previous generations wouldn't have had the self-awareness or foresight to do. We know from his comments in the wake of his Duke commitment (i.e. "SLU was my second choice...it was a tough call...I wanted to show love to my city" and so forth) that he's concerned with being well-liked locally. He's taking the longview. He's building his brand.

Tatum's presence is not particularly complicated as it relates to SLU. He's been coming to SLU for a few years now. He's got friends on the team and has built relationships with the coaches.

He's also a smart, savvy kid who knows he's a HS basketball superstar with the potential to be something of a basketball ambassador for St. Louis. For better or worse, young star athletes are more legacy-conscious today than ever before. He's making himself visible in ways players of previous generations wouldn't have had the self-awareness or foresight to do. We know from his comments in the wake of his Duke commitment (i.e. "SLU was my second choice...it was a tough call...I wanted to show love to my city" and so forth) that he's concerned with being well-liked locally. He's taking the longview. He's building his brand.

LET'S PUT ALL OF THIS DISCUSSION TO REST! THE YOUNG MAN WHO WAS AT PRACTICE INTERACTING WITH THE COACHES WAS NOT TATUM--IT WAS ZEKE MOORE.

LET'S PUT ALL OF THIS DISCUSSION TO REST! THE YOUNG MAN WHO WAS AT PRACTICE INTERACTING WITH THE COACHES WAS NOT TATUM--IT WAS ZEKE MOORE.

Why are you shouting?

I wasn't there. I was basing my comment on the fact that others said he was there. If he wasn't, then never mind. And calm down. You could've said this a while back, after all.

Why are you shouting?

I wasn't there. I was basing my comment on the fact that others said he was there. If he wasn't, then never mind. And calm down. You could've said this a while back, after all.

I just learned that fact last night. I was not able to attend the Billiken Bash but I assumed earlier that the people who posted that Tatum was there knew what they were talking about. A horrible assumption when supposed facts are posted on this board.

Zeke Moore was there as well with his father. I'm not mistaking Zeke Moore and his father for Jayson and Justin Tatum. There were 2 other recruits and their families on visits.

So then was Tatum there or not?

This just makes me laugh. As one looks back on this thread you see that only two posters suggested Tatum was there and obviously they made an honest mistake. Everyone else, myself included, took this info and ran with it and it became the focus of the thread when really the focus could have been on observations of the team.