Billikens Bash

slu72 fan

-well, that partially explains how you get to a rotation of 12

-this season we have a totally new offense and a totally new defense, does JCrews expect his frustration level to decline?

Crews most likely hopes his frustration level will decline, and it will decline, if 8 of the 12 players step up their games on a consistent basis. The bad apples have graduated and/or have left. Addition by subtraction.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have talent. NCAAs should be the goal for next season and I don't see how we get there without 17-ish wins this season. Last year we underperformed, had some atrocious finishes, hoping we bounce or get back on track. Also I'd rather be an optimist and wrong than a pessimist and right. 17-15 in our awful conference isn't a ton to ask for

Wow, you think a conference that is the 7th or 8th ranked conference, even in a down year, is an awful conference? OK.

I have low expectations for this season. I see some talent, but I think Crews is outdated and hasn't been able to recruit at the level he needs to. He may be starting to get players for his system, but how long can you wait and even if it works, what's your ceiling?

100% the league was trash last season which made our blowouts even more embarrassing

Interesting comment. The A-10 had the 7th highest Conference RPI, out of 32 conferences. Thus, therefore, there were 26 trash conferences and no more than 6 that weren't. Why does the NCAA even bother? Just 'trash' basketball altogether and sponsor only football, ultimate frisbee and women's field hockey.

Interesting comment. The A-10 had the 7th highest Conference RPI, out of 32 conferences. Thus, therefore, there were 26 trash conferences and no more than 6 that weren't. Why does the NCAA even bother? Just 'trash' basketball altogether and sponsor only football, ultimate frisbee and women's field hockey.

Lol.. wut. I see what you were going for, I think? But, no. I thought there were a lot of bad teams (i.e. beatable, even for us) in the league last season. Will add trash to the list of adjectives to avoid

I have low expectations for this season. I see some talent, but I think Crews is outdated and hasn't been able to recruit at the level he needs to. He may be starting to get players for his system, but how long can you wait and even if it works, what's your ceiling?

When JC was hired, I was not a big fan. I thought and still do that May missed his chance to put his mark on the basketball program but he took the easy way out. Once JC was hired I was willing to give him a chance and that meant watching how he did recruiting and coaching. Right now, he is not impressing on the recruiting front and on the coaching part he has not distinguished himself once RM's guys were gone. I said this before and I will say it again, he has only this year left to show meaningful improvement with the team since he has not done well so far. If he does not than I see no other way but to thank him and move on.

Low expectations. Lack of buzz or excitement. Questions if Crews is really the answer.

Hard to argue against the above. Not much anyone can point to which would confirm the our program has definitely turned the corner. As mentioned, the games just need to start.

With that said, we lost very little from last year other than McBroom's undersized selfish talent. Each of the promising Frosh will return with a year's worth of seasoning, knowledge and focus and with improved footwork, strength and size/weight. We now have a center and a PG, our Juniors should now be ready and our Senior is ready to provide the leadership and skills for which he was recruited until the youngsters can take over. This is Crews team now. I am ready to watch what Crews has been building.

This is interesting ......

"Each of the promising Frosh will return with a year's worth of seasoning, knowledge and focus and with improved footwork, strength and size/weight. We now have a center and a PG, our Juniors should now be ready and our Senior is ready to provide the leadership and skills for which he was recruited until the youngsters can take over."

Just for clarification .... who are the promising Frosh? All six or are you identifying two or three? Who is this center? I assume you mean Neufeld. And the PG? Is that Bishop? I get the juniors but only Crawford seems there and as for the senior, let's remember he was impressed by the Billiken team that crushed him as a freshman at 'Nova in Anaheim. That was a Majerus team so i don't think Crews had had anything to do with his recruiting and given the questions over his play or lack thereof in the Bahamas,I don't know.

This is at best a 12-13 W team. At worse it could win only 9. We don't have a capable PG. We don't have a lights out sniper. We don't have one proven inside player. We didn't play lockdown D last year, which we need to do to stay in games. We're not a disciplined offensive team, in fact, we're very undisciplined thanks to Ash and Milik. We're not anywhere near being a running fast break team. We're just a bunch of disparate parts that lacks the glue necessary to make it a whole team. This season is gonna be a struggle unless we see some development by the end of December that addresses the deficiencies mentioned above. If it's not coming together by then, we'll be fortunate to get more than 2 Ws in the A10.

All that said, I hope I am 100% wrong. I want us to be good, but as the Stones sing, "you can't always get what you want."

I don't know how it's possible we win fewer games than last season. That's being thrown around and the Crews hot seat talk was over the line? No one knows what to expect.. state of general disarray.

P.S. We literally had no choice but to hire Crews after his COY run. Contract could have been 2-3 years vs. 5, but yea

I don't know how it's possible we win fewer games than last season. That's being thrown around and the Crews hot seat talk was over the line? No one knows what to expect.. state of general disarray.

P.S. We literally had no choice but to hire Crews after his COY run. Contract could have been 2-3 years vs. 5, but yea

You always have choices. Sometimes not all the choices are good ones but that was not the situation in the JC case. We should have interviewed for a new coach and give JC a chance to be in the mix. Nothing about his past coaching experiences pointed to him being the best choice for this program going forward. I believe May made a big error and he may have cooked his own goose. If we have to move on from JC do you really feel comfortable having May do the hiring?

Can't we just wait 6 weeks to see how the current squad looks before all of this negativity (I understand it, but don't think we need to dwell on it since we are a few weeks from the start of the season)? Maybe the team has improved (young guys growing) and will surprise or maybe not, but lets just give them a chance before getting too depressed.

That's a very logical scenario, Cheese, and one I wish now we had taken. Crews was basically a babysitter/caretaker for the team Rick left him. I'm not sure, though, it would have been in our best interest not to have kept him for that year after Rick passed. A new guy may have come in and messed with what that team knew so well, ie how to play Rickball. May could have offered him a one year deal and said something like, we're going to assess after the season's over. Now, whether Crews would have agreed to that is another matter. Probably not. Also, keep in mind that there was some national scrutiny at the end of 12-13 season about why we were not immediately handing a national COY the keys to the kingdom at the end of the 12-13 season. It also would have made recruiting rather difficult and we needed a lot of players to fill out the roster.

If this year goes as far south as a lot of us our thinking it will, my hope is that the admin faces the problem with their big boy pants on and bites the bullet on his deal. You would think two years of lousy basketball would dictate a change. This probably won't happen either as it's a big bullet to bite. What some of us fear, however, is that if the Beast decides to expand and we don't show enough enthusiasm for getting the program back to where Rick had it, they will eliminate us from being a viable candidate. They want a strong conference from top to bottom, just like the old Beast. They've already got one DePaul, they don't want two, and that's how we'd be viewed unless we demonstrate in a meaningful way we're serious about hoops.

Chosen, you make a good point. It's just that there doesn't seem to be a light at the end of this tunnel. And besides what else are we gonna talk about 15 days before tipoff? We'd all like to see a silver lining in this cloud, but it's not there at this point. So, it's my guess a lot of us, me included, don't want to get our hopes up too high just to see them dashed. Prepare for the worst but we'll all be estatic if it doesn't come to pass.

Chosen, you make a good point. It's just that there doesn't seem to be a light at the end of this tunnel. And besides what else are we gonna talk about 15 days before tipoff? We'd all like to see a silver lining in this cloud, but it's not there at this point. So, it's my guess a lot of us, me included, don't want to get our hopes up too high just to see them dashed. Prepare for the worst but we'll all be estatic if it doesn't come to pass.

Fair enough. Unfortunately you are right, there really is not much positive for us to talk about at this point making the wait until the start of the season excruciating. At least last year we could talk about the savior Jayson Tatum...

Can't let this go by without putting in a plug for my man Elliott Welmer. Had an impressive showing in The Bahamas. Was going to be a rotation player and significant contributor. Now, someone who clearly is at the wrong level will get his minutes. Bad news for the Bills.

Agree but this can happen to any team....your leadership and depth must carry you through, like the baseball Cardinals.

Somebody should step up, or someone will be asked to step down.

This is interesting ......

"Each of the promising Frosh will return with a year's worth of seasoning, knowledge and focus and with improved footwork, strength and size/weight. We now have a center and a PG, our Juniors should now be ready and our Senior is ready to provide the leadership and skills for which he was recruited until the youngsters can take over."

Just for clarification .... who are the promising Frosh? All six or are you identifying two or three? Who is this center? I assume you mean Neufeld. And the PG? Is that Bishop? I get the juniors but only Crawford seems there and as for the senior, let's remember he was impressed by the Billiken team that crushed him as a freshman at 'Nova in Anaheim. That was a Majerus team so i don't think Crews had had anything to do with his recruiting and given the questions over his play or lack thereof in the Bahamas,I don't know.

Taj.

At the end of the season, you may be 100% correct but is your post not a little too negative? a little too over the top? should we just forfeit the season now?

As to last year's promising Frosh, certainly Malik has alot of promise (especially on offense), Roby looks like a very good player with above average defensive skills, size and strength who showed an outside shot toward the end of last season and Marcus Bartley has above average size, length and had several games last year where he hit multiple 3 pointers. Add to them a legitimate center prospect we have not seen in years and a PG who could be solid if we ask him to fill a role and not ask him to score and carry the team. And then add to the mix a Senior with above average athletic ability, strength and the ability to drive to the hoop and 2 solid Juniors -- one who can shoot and the other who can rebound. In short, this might not be the worst Billiken team in years!!

Taj.

At the end of the season, you may be 100% correct but is your post not a little too negative? a little too over the top? should we just forfeit the season now?

As to last year's promising Frosh, certainly Malik has alot of promise (especially on offense), Roby looks like a very good player with above average defensive skills, size and strength who showed an outside shot toward the end of last season and Marcus Bartley has above average size, length and had several games last year where he hit multiple 3 pointers. Add to them a legitimate center prospect we have not seen in years and a PG who could be solid if we ask him to fill a role and not ask him to score and carry the team. And then add to the mix a Senior with above average athletic ability, strength and the ability to drive to the hoop and 2 solid Juniors -- one who can shoot and the other who can rebound. In short, this might not be the worst Billiken team in years!!

I'm not very optimistic for the upcoming season, but I will say this is a very fair description of what we (could) have.

Crews - 3 years, .653 winning percentage, 66-35 overall SLU record

Majerus - 5 years, .579 %, 95-69

Spoon - 7 years, .575 %, 122-90

Romar - 3 years, .537 %, 51-44

Sodie - 5 years, .519%, 80-74

Eddie Hickey ain't coming back. Is Ron Coleman still alive? Let's get him back so he can improve on his 7 win, 0.259 win % season.

Crews - 3 years, .653 winning percentage, 66-35 overall SLU record

Majerus - 5 years, .579 %, 95-69

Spoon - 7 years, .575 %, 122-90

Romar - 3 years, .537 %, 51-44

Sodie - 5 years, .519%, 80-74

Eddie Hickey ain't coming back. Is Ron Coleman still alive? Let's get him back so he can improve on his 7 win, 0.259 win % season.

Yes, but Crews had Majerus' players. If Majerus hadn't gotten sick then he would have racked up all of those wins in 2013 and 2014

Yes, but Crews had Majerus' players. If Majerus hadn't gotten sick then he would have racked up all of those wins in 2013 and 2014

Ah, so every coach's first year should not count? Every coach inherits players from the previous coach. So Spoon's first year gets tacked on to Grawer's record? Spoon gets credit for Romar's 19-14 season, but in return Romar gets Sodie's 16-14 season?

I could point to just as many things about Crews' career stats that say he shouldn't be here than as I could to say he should be here.

I have low expectations but I do see the potential for a decent season. Im always for discussuon no matter what time of year but let's hope there are some intelligent posts during the season. This offseason has been brutal.

And HoosierPal, I usually like all your posts but an offseason of ridiculous posts by both sides of the Crews fence has started to bubble over seasoned frustration.

Ah, so every coach's first year should not count? Every coach inherits players from the previous coach. So Spoon's first year gets tacked on to Grawer's record? Spoon gets credit for Romar's 19-14 season, but in return Romar gets Sodie's 16-14 season?

I think it is fair to look at the roster that was inherited and put an asterisk next to a coach's first couple of seasons at a program depending, it is typically for the opposite reason though. Crews should be commended for what he did in his first two seasons, but I think any coach willing to not mess with Rick's formula would have experienced similar success. Since we are looking at a roster primarily of players recruited by Crews and coached only by Crews, we are better able to see what a Crews team looks like and how it will play. Last season was really bad, but the team was young and returned little production, so not unexpected. If this season is similar, it gets tougher to believe that a team recruited and coached by Crews will look like those initial teams that Majerus built, but Crews coached. Again, I am willing to wait before being overly negative since I have little idea how guys have developed over the past 7 months.