Billikens Bash

slu72 fan

I was there. A few thoughts:

I try to avoid basing expectations on events like this. Instead, I try to notice simple things.

Biggest observation was that this team was shooting a lot of threes. They'd have spurts where they'd be making them, and spurts where they'd be missing them.

Not sure who led in scoring, but my guess would be Yarbrough.

Bishop had a spurt where he hit 3 straight from beyond the arc.

I remembered Yarbrough and Reynolds last season losing control of the ball when they drove to the hoop. Maybe I'm wrong, but they seemed more in control when driving today.

Can't really say anything on the bigs.

The Billiken was there. Looked the same. Not fierce.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I paid for my soda, I think SLU put on a nice event. I would have, however, liked to have heard some speeches from Stone and Crews. I really think the women's program is on the rise and needs promotion.

It is not really fair to infer much from a practice, but I walked away with my opinion of the team being pretty unchanged from its pessimistic view that I have had for a while.

What actually disappointed me was that only occasionally did it seem there was some sort of offensive set attempted. Far too often, I thought players tried to do things by themselves (e.g. Malik, Ash, and Reynolds) instead of working to develop a play. Many times they were successful just driving the lane, but if we remember last year, as soon as some of these guys started facing more real competition, this tactic did not work.

Other players did not disappoint, but they did not exceed my expectations either. I would say I am one of the biggest Bartley fans (maybe next to Nark) but he didn't seem all that different from the player he was last year. Reggie additional seemed like a sound player who was often in the correct position, but he did not always finish. He hustled, but he is the type of player I would like coming off the bench, and at least on this squad, I think he should be starting.

Crawford and Roby again seem to be the ones who try to make some sort of system work most, but I don't think enough players either grasp the system or adhere to it to make it work.

Overall, I wasn't disappointed by the practice. But my expectations were not high.

Why is Jayson Tatum allowed in Chaifetz? I wouldn't let him buy a ticket.

I'm much more excited about the Women's team than the Men's. Women are a postseason team this year. NCAAs next year for sure.

While I paid for my soda, I think SLU put on a nice event. I would have, however, liked to have heard some speeches from Stone and Crews. I really think the women's program is on the rise and needs promotion.

It is not really fair to infer much from a practice, but I walked away with my opinion of the team being pretty unchanged from its pessimistic view that I have had for a while.

What actually disappointed me was that only occasionally did it seem there was some sort of offensive set attempted. Far too often, I thought players tried to do things by themselves (e.g. Malik, Ash, and Reynolds) instead of working to develop a play. Many times they were successful just driving the lane, but if we remember last year, as soon as some of these guys started facing more real competition, this tactic did not work.

Other players did not disappoint, but they did not exceed my expectations either. I would say I am one of the biggest Bartley fans (maybe next to Nark) but he didn't seem all that different from the player he was last year. Reggie additional seemed like a sound player who was often in the correct position, but he did not always finish. He hustled, but he is the type of player I would like coming off the bench, and at least on this squad, I think he should be starting.

Crawford and Roby again seem to be the ones who try to make some sort of system work most, but I don't think enough players either grasp the system or adhere to it to make it work.

Overall, I wasn't disappointed by the practice. But my expectations were not high.

I've seen preseason scrimmages at other schools. I don't think I've ever seen one that was anything more than a glorified pickup game. Ours wasn't any different .

Bishop had 12 points in the first 14 minutes of the scrimmage. He was the only consistent source of offense for the White team, which consisted of Bishop, Hines, Reynolds, Reggie, Gillmann and Neufeld. Neufeld was their top rebounder and the only big on both teams to make any effective moves inside.

Jolly played a bunch of minutes for the Blue team and was totally ineffective. I felt sorry for the kid. Bartley and Crawford were quietly efficient from outside. We don't really have anybody who can stop Milik off the drive. Roby didn't look to score much. Both Ash and Roby played good defense. Blue team, which basically consisted of starters, dominated play late.

my guess on tatum is he just loves basketball. and likely he developed a couple of nice budding friendships while flirting with the billikens and wanted to see his buddies in action. i have no problem him coming out to watch the bash. i do question crews and platt being all chummy with him. i understand the need to be civil but hugs and kisses all around made no sense. we effing lost. move on.

my guess on tatum is he just loves basketball. and likely he developed a couple of nice budding friendships while flirting with the billikens and wanted to see his buddies in action. i have no problem him coming out to watch the bash. i do question crews and platt being all chummy with him. i understand the need to be civil but hugs and kisses all around made no sense. we effing lost. move on.

In that situation you have to behave that way. Two years from now he will have signed a big contract, and he may look for a place to donate $$. You do not burn bridges even if you would rather torch the bridge.

In that situation you have to behave that way. Two years from now he will have signed a big contract, and he may look for a place to donate $$. You do not burn bridges even if you would rather torch the bridge.

as i said, no problem with civility. but the hugs and over the top almost affection greeting seemed weird considering the kid just spurned us. you would have had to see platt's actions to understand i guess.

as i said, no problem with civility. but the hugs and over the top almost affection greeting seemed weird considering the kid just spurned us. you would have had to see platt's actions to understand i guess.

After just meeting Platt and ending up with an uncomfortable lingering man hug instead of a simple handshake I hope he's just over the top with everyone. He's a very strange man.

I always thought that Platt to be the most awkward lead recruiter in Division 1. Just look at his Wikipedia…what is he even done that gives him so much trust from Crews. I do not understand it.

The Tatum thing makes my stomach turn.

Just reading this board, man there is just no optimism at all. That article that Stu wrote is definitely on point…no one expects anything at all this year. The problem is that no one expects anything for the next 3 either. I cannot believe this is what Chris May had in mind.

He must be an excellent recruiter

There's a decent chance we won't see any of these coaches next year....

It's a damn shame that everything Majerus had begun to build has gone down the tubes at this point. We had momentum but then it just died under Crews. Whether that is all on Crews or is also due to Majerus' illness is still up for debate, but the program is not looking good right now. Which is terrible timing for us since the '17 and '18 recruits will start committing to schools after this season and next season. SMH.

Probably not of interest to most but.... as down as I am on the Men's program I am that high on the Women's.

Stone is a helluva recruiter. She's getting kids we never dreamed of before. There is more depth on this team than any other in the program's history. Erin Nelson was an all freshman performer 2 years ago, she's the same player and is now at the end of the rotation. That is how you recruit. Stipanovich is a star. The new freshman Dusharm is a player SLU has never had. 6'5, beefy, with solid footwork and nice touch. The A10 doesn't have players like that, as a freshman she's a mathcup nightmare in two seasons she will be breaking SLU records. The women may not make the NCAAs this season but they will next season for sure. I expect a minimum of 20 victories out of this crew.

Milik looked good yesterday. He had some good drives to the hoop and made a couple 3's. He looked more in control than last year, and if he can add a reliable 3 point shot to his game it would really help us offensively. Bartley and Bishop both made multiple 3's. The team is definitely not afraid to take early shots. Neufeld didn't score but grabbed some good rebounds. Ash, Roby, Crawford, Reggie, and Gillmann didn't do much. I can't recall Jolly doing anything noticeable at all in the August practices or yesterday.

Probably not of interest to most but.... as down as I am on the Men's program I am that high on the Women's.

Stone is a helluva recruiter. She's getting kids we never dreamed of before. There is more depth on this team than any other in the program's history. Erin Nelson was an all freshman performer 2 years ago, she's the same player and is now at the end of the rotation. That is how you recruit. Stipanovich is a star. The new freshman Dusharm is a player SLU has never had. 6'5, beefy, with solid footwork and nice touch. The A10 doesn't have players like that, as a freshman she's a mathcup nightmare in two seasons she will be breaking SLU records. The women may not make the NCAAs this season but they will next season for sure. I expect a minimum of 20 victories out of this crew.

I'm interested. I am a women's basketball fan, St. Louis and UCONN. I'm glad to know the women's team is improving and getting above average recruits.

Well considering that the team had a full 3 hour practice before doing the Bash, I would not make any predictions on the players or team development. I am certain you were watching a bunch of tired guys trying to please the crowd. We will be able to get a better assessment of how this team has grown after the first couple of games. Just a piece of tidbit no one mentioned on here...

I didn't see Tatum there nor did I see our staff interaction with him but I don't see any benefit to our coaching staff being cold or less than enthusiastic with him. Let's not forget he is the son of an ex-Billiken who currently coaches one of the best highschool programs in the area. There is a good chance we will be recruiting one of Justin's players at some point in the future so why would you ever want to behave in a less than friendly manner to Jayson?

As to the actual practice itself; it's all about your perspective. If you are inclined to the positive side of things you'd note that we made a lot of threes and Malik got to the basket and finished with ease. If you are inclined to the negative side of things you'll see those open threes and Malik's scoring as a sign of bad defense. Both are probably right to some extent.

I agree, keep the relationship close, strange things can. For example:

-Tatum and K don't hit it off.

-no P/T, remember he will be competing against other MickeyD all-Americans.

-he has early season injury

-he gets home sick.

-he hates Duke.

Any of these scenarios can happen which can bring back to Saint Louis.

I agree, keep the relationship close, strange things can. For example:

-Tatum and K don't hit it off.

-no P/T, remember he will be competing against other MickeyD all-Americans.

-he has early season injury

-he gets home sick.

-he hates Duke.

Any of these scenarios can happen which can bring back to Saint Louis.

he is a one and done. No chance he stays in school a second year and comes to SLU