Reggie Agbeko

slufan13

Sounds like the same issue I heard from another poster, one who had managed to post over 10,000 times before he ran out of gas.

bizz and I have disagreed but rational men can do that. If you go, adios partner. But as I said to that other guy, I refuse to let the cyber idiots win. And I have the ignore button on for no one.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry for my post. It came across way differently than I intended. Basically, when re-reading it makes me sound like a self-important gasbag, a preachy a-hole, a pretentious d-bag. My intention when posting it was more about fans finding the right level of perspective and realizing they aren't actually part of the team. What I should have done is just keep my thoughts to myself. Obviously my thoughts were definitely not appreciated nor constructive to the conversation on this board.

Like I said before, posting to a message board just isn't my thing anymore. Somewhere along the line it just stopped being enjoyable and became too confrontational and personal. I am sure that is entirely on me. Hopefully that's not the case for most of you and you all still enjoy playing in Steve's sandbox.

jbizzle09,

All is fine with me. Hang in there and don't leave the Board.

We (there's that word again) are all in this together.

We is the just the way some of us talk. We say "we" in referring to the Cardinals too.

believe me when I say; I have felt some frustration with members of this board over the years. indeed even threatened to leave forever, Billiken Roy-style.

but me here again, me love billikens.com, for that special billiken fix from time to time.

me no want anyone to leave. me want everyone to get along and believe the best for our Bills. Can't we all just co-exist??

ps: we should make a list of top ten posters. all time, and for the 2014 season.

Pretty amazing what happens when the team loses 2 straight games. After we beat the ###### out of Dayton on Wednesday and win our second straight conference championship, can we all just meet behind 108 and have one big group hug?

believe me when I say; I have felt some frustration with members of this board over the years. indeed even threatened to leave forever, Billiken Roy-style.

but me here again, me love billikens.com, for that special billiken fix from time to time.

me no want anyone to leave. me want everyone to get along and believe the best for our Bills. Can't we all just co-exist??

ps: we should make a list of top ten posters. all time, and for the 2014 season.

Great idea! The Billikens.com Hall of Fame.

Pretty amazing what happens when the team loses 2 straight games. After we beat the ###### out of Dayton on Wednesday and win our second straight conference championship, can we all just meet behind 108 and have one big group hug?

Let's squash the BS, we need a victory this week. First round of beers for section 108 on me Wednesday. Bizzle, see you there.

Reggie Agbeko jumped for his own rebound from two feet left of the basket during warm ups. He massaged and worried over his right shoulder, again. Thank God Spoon is not the coach as we could have used him thus season hopefully he has time to show us a healed RA next season. His footwork offensively is spectacular

Sorry to pick on you, BAB, but this is a huge pet peeve of mine and I've just seen it way too much lately.

I am fine with fans using 'we' when referring to their team, especially with it being an alma mater or a pro team of a city they've lived in their entire life. However, I really, really get annoyed when a fan uses 'we' as if they are a part of the team or part of the decision making. BAB, when you say 'I agree to stay with the same lineup' right after saying' we stay with the same lineup' almost makes it seem like you feel like you have some say in all of this. I figure you aren't so delusional to think that, but the way a lot of these posts are framed (many others do the exact same thing as you), it always just gets on my last nerve.

WE HAVE NO SAY IN ANY OF THIS! We can whine and p!ss and moan, and make our own little suggestions on here, but in the end we are only debating among ourselves. Jim Crews doesn't give a rat's ass about bauman's hindsight about playing freshmen early in the season or BAB's lineup strategies or someone else's suggestion for the team to heed Majerus' mantra of 'To win: Defend, Rebound.' WE aren't out there shooting the ball. WE aren't out there rebounding. WE aren't out there playing defense. WE aren't drawing up plays or calling (or not calling) timeouts. WE are watching and cheering. That's it.

I just think perspective gets lost on a message board a lot. This is a place for us to have passionate discussions about the team, its players, the coaches and the games. Also, a place to maybe get a little bit more information where you wouldn't have had it before. Is it cool to disagree with a coach's strategy or criticize the team's or individual player's performance? HELL YES! Absolutely! BUT, lets not allow ourselves to get deluded enough to think that we have any further impact than showing up, rooting on and supporting the team. WE aren't part of the team. WE are just fans. And this is just a place to talk about the team.

Sorry to blow up on you, BAB. It is just something that's been eating at me all season and I had to let it out.

I know I'm late with this, as this post is five days old, but... oh, well. Bizzle, I think your rant is a bit over the top, but the point is solid. It's the reason why I always write, "SLU" or "Billikens" when referring to the team. Yet that makes many posters here question my fanhood and accuse me of secretly hating the team, or something.

In some people's minds, rooting for a team makes them part of the team and they will always say, "we" and "us." I doubt that will change.

I know I'm late with this, as this post is five days old, but... oh, well. Bizzle, I think your rant is a bit over the top, but the point is solid. It's the reason why I always write, "SLU" or "Billikens" when referring to the team. Yet that makes many posters here question my fanhood and accuse me of secretly hating the team, or something.

In some people's minds, rooting for a team makes them part of the team and they will always say, "we" and "us." I doubt that will change.

Good grief. Should we all explain that while using "we" in our posts "we" do not actually think "we" are part of the team...

Good grief. Should we all explain that while using "we" in our posts "we" do not actually think "we" are part of the team...

Evil ecstasy. No, you should continue to post as you please and understand that there are a few fans who have different preferences. It's certainly not worth becoming a Shibboleth.

Boy, miss a day miss a lot. Don't want to see JBizzle leave, since he's usually a voice of reason and a good guy. I met him and his wife in Columbus. Nice folks. But to each their own. I do think jumping on Bay's case over "we" is a little over the top, but we all have our pet peeves in life. Like, I can't stand it why Heinz has too make their ketchup so damn thick. As for Steve's sandbox, I don't know why anyone who's a true Billiken fan wouldn't enjoy the discussions about a program we're all so vested in. Living away from St Lou and in the heart of SEC land, it's like visiting the corner bar to get some lively discussion about a school and program I love. I sure can't discuss them with those SEC fans who think we're an NAII program. Bye, Biz, we'll miss your contributions.

Summary & comments:

• We lost KM (star G), CE (key contributor, underrated unorthodox big) and CR (key role play big) to graduation.
  • None of our new players have completely filled those voids. (AM has helped the most).
  • None of our returning players, starters or the bench, have improved significantly (though some were damn good already)
  • Many of us (I did) assumed either highly touted RA or TL would be a significant contributor by now and the other would develop so that next year one would be a sure fire starter and the other would contribute... however, with injuries, etc., neither has shown us anything to demonstrate that will be the case, so we are all concerned about next year's bigs. Hey, they both might be stars next year, too. The problem is we do not know enough about them at this point...
  • It is NOT a guards game, balance is needed, the guards handle the ball and look good directly proportional to the big's abilities.
  • JC is a damn good coach and we cannot second guess who he is playing and how many minutes... especially RA and TL 1) injured and / or 2) not ready on defense. Debatable, yes, but he knows who is capable and who is not...
  • Tired? I do not think so.... 1) we had a letdown phase after the virtual clinching of the A-10 4 games ago, and 2) DE has obviously been banged up for the last few weeks and to boot now JJ is hurting. Lots of top notch teams have been upset lately, appear tired, it is a function of them having their season goals wrapped up and they are now coasting for their conference tournaments and the NCAA's, so not hustling 100% on "D", etc.
  • We need a 100% healthy DE and JJ to achieve our goals; DE worries me, it seems it is a lingering problem. Maybe not.
  • If they are healthy, we will see how good we really are in the NCAA's... we tore them up til this losing streak and injury bug hit us, though our SOS was not top notch.
  • I am not optimistic about today; hope JC rests DE & JJ but I doubt he will... a loss is not optimal, but, if so, that is ok, then we need to just make sure and win an A-10 tourney game and be healthy for the NCAA's.
  • Our goal is the Sweet 16.

If you give this coaching staff an A for 25 wins which was just beyond my hopes but above my expectations for the reasons just mentioned it doesn't make any difference whether Jim Crews is the hand picked inheritor of RM or just a lucky guy. I think his staff is as good as the Alex Jensen staff of RM early stage with exception we don't have a paid recruiter covering Australia and New Zealand.

It would be great to add Christian Salecich (spelling?) as an assistant it would be a shame to lose a potential asset who has manage to stretch his stay in the USA to six years. Very soon we will have Lisch, Ellis, Conklin, Loe all playing down under although I personally think Loe is good enough for NBA development league and then who knows. I think Australia came out winners sending their kids to SLU.

I would give Loe the Brian Conklin senior year award but we might want to call it the Maurice Jeffers award as it amazed me that kid all of sudden had permission to be great.

I don't know how you can say Jett did not improve signifigantly over last season.

IMO he was this good last year, he's just getting more opportunity to score now that KM is gone and he is handling the ball, we have fewer scoring options (KM + CE gone) and we need him as a "go to" scorer (w / DE) when the clock is running out.

Maybe he's had some improvement, but not "significant", I am not criticizing him; note I wrote some were "damn good already".

Summary & comments:

• We lost KM (star G), CE (key contributor, underrated unorthodox big) and CR (key role play big) to graduation.
  • None of our new players have completely filled those voids. (AM has helped the most).
  • None of our returning players, starters or the bench, have improved significantly (though some were damn good already)
  • Many of us (I did) assumed either highly touted RA or TL would be a significant contributor by now and the other would develop so that next year one would be a sure fire starter and the other would contribute... however, with injuries, etc., neither has shown us anything to demonstrate that will be the case, so we are all concerned about next year's bigs. Hey, they both might be stars next year, too. The problem is we do not know enough about them at this point...
  • It is NOT a guards game, balance is needed, the guards handle the ball and look good directly proportional to the big's abilities.
  • JC is a damn good coach and we cannot second guess who he is playing and how many minutes... especially RA and TL 1) injured and / or 2) not ready on defense. Debatable, yes, but he knows who is capable and who is not...
  • Tired? I do not think so.... 1) we had a letdown phase after the virtual clinching of the A-10 4 games ago, and 2) DE has obviously been banged up for the last few weeks and to boot now JJ is hurting. Lots of top notch teams have been upset lately, appear tired, it is a function of them having their season goals wrapped up and they are now coasting for their conference tournaments and the NCAA's, so not hustling 100% on "D", etc.
  • We need a 100% healthy DE and JJ to achieve our goals; DE worries me, it seems it is a lingering problem. Maybe not.
  • If they are healthy, we will see how good we really are in the NCAA's... we tore them up til this losing streak and injury bug hit us, though our SOS was not top notch.
  • I am not optimistic about today; hope JC rests DE & JJ but I doubt he will... a loss is not optimal, but, if so, that is ok, then we need to just make sure and win an A-10 tourney game and be healthy for the NCAA's.
  • Our goal is the Sweet 16.

Good summary!! Not trying to nitpick but I must disagree some. College basketball is definitely a guards game. Also, we did NOT tear them up til this losing streak. Instead, I'd suggest that we have not really played that well since our road games at Dayton and at St. Joe. We continued to find ways to win, such as at home against VCU -- but OT wins over George Mason, a 4 point road win at Duquesne and the inability to consistently put lesser teams away has been going on for awhile.