Reggie Agbeko

slufan13

Water over the dam at this point. I think Evans and Jett would look a whole lot "better rested" if they weren't pressing things inside that aren't there due to us not having a consistent deep threat......

Agree. We have 3 guys I like letting it rip from 3 (MM, RL, AM), 4 if JB is wide open. JJ should never take one. AM really needs to find his shot again. MM should always be chucking. Speaking to tired legs.. Maybe an early A10 tournament exit might be good before the dance? Guess it depends on how it would affect our seed, but the Sun-Thurs turnaround, plus in all likely hood traveling from Brooklyn to the West Coast again. You never know with these things.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Water over the dam at this point. I think Evans and Jett would look a whole lot "better rested" if they weren't pressing things inside that aren't there due to us not having a consistent deep threat......

So this takes me back to the original point. Crawford has shown he can shoot the ball. Play him more. I believe that Lancona can shoot. Honestly no one wants to do this, but Jett is not a 3 point threat. Wouldn't mind seeing his minutes go down very slightly in favor of more McBroom and McCall. Barnett is not being respected by defenses as a threat. Against Vandy, they were practically begging him to shoot.

Agree. We have 3 guys I like letting it rip from 3 (MM, RL, AM), 4 if JB is wide open. JJ should never take one. AM really needs to find his shot again. MM should always be chucking. Speaking to tired legs.. Maybe an early A10 tournament exit might be good before the dance? Guess it depend on how it would affected our seed, but the Sun-Thurs turnaround, plus in all likely hood traveling from Brooklyn to the West Coast again. You never know with these things.

Yeah, Mike needs to shoot more. I wish he had whatever Barnett has in him when it comes to being willing to shoot.

the freshmen will be fine down the line but I trust Coach Crews and staff about how they have prepared the team for this year's tournament. I think some of the comments underestimate how fine-tuned our defense is, and how hard it is to step in and play much. Right now our rotation is basically 9 or 10-man at most, which is about right. Crawford will get minutes but unless we get into major foul problems, that's about it, I think.

For those worried about rebounding next year, I presume RA will step in for a lot more minutes. Believe me when I say, he can rebound at this level.

I think a lot of teams are getting tired right about now. the rubber meets the road in March, as we all (should) know by now. Some teams do come out of nowhere seemingly (i.e. keep an eye on St. Joe's). Honestly, we probably are not consistently top-10 material; I think we all might need to readjust our expectations a bit. Our athletic bigs have been exposed somewhat. And as I've said all year: we sink or swim via shooting (see Oregon).

This is a funny year and I'm wondering about the no-name surprises who will somehow find a way into the sweet 16. A lot of top-10 teams are like us: they are not consistently top-10 material... I'm also starting to wonder if we could have a shot at the first 40-0 team in the history of college basketball.

What athletic bigs do we have? Name me one.

We need real rebounding in there on the defensive glass and someone who can score around the bucket using his head fakes and will not get blocked at the rim. Nuff said play RA. We need another big 4 who can shoot the rock and occupy space defensively. Play TL. We need a guard not afraid to shoot but heady enough to handle the rock and penetrate for the easy dish. Play MC.

Would have love to have been a fly on the wall of that meeting!

Agree. We have 3 guys I like letting it rip from 3 (MM, RL, AM), 4 if JB is wide open. JJ should never take one. AM really needs to find his shot again. MM should always be chucking. Speaking to tired legs.. Maybe an early A10 tournament exit might be good before the dance? Guess it depends on how it would affect our seed, but the Sun-Thurs turnaround, plus in all likely hood traveling from Brooklyn to the West Coast again. You never know with these things.

What if I told you...........that JB and RL are shooting the exact same percentage from 3 this season (30.6%)?

Your most athletic big is RA who you have barely seen enough of him to know what this kid is capable of.

sorry I meant: our bigs have been exposed by even more athletics bigs.

ps: they are all athletic enough to play on a top 10, division 1 team, which I presume is more athletic than you are. I sure wish I was that "non-athletic" when I was their age!! I know you were being ironic, and I did not make my point clear, and it's all relative; but yes, in fact, they are all pretty athletic...

What if I told you...........that JB and RL are shooting the exact same percentage from 3 this season (30.6%)?

I would tell you that you can't replace RL for his size, ability to score in the paint, and ability to take over and win a game. I would say that you could replace JB. You can't have your 3 point "sniper" shooting 31%. He may be an improved defender but he's not anywhere close to one of the best on the team. He can rebound because he's one of the few guys who makes the effort to box out every time and not just chase the ball.

Which really isn't enough. You can only put so many bigs on your roster before you have too many for two spots. You have six roster spots claimed by Glaze, Manning, Agbeko, Lancona, Jolly, and Gilliam next year. You already have five roster spots for after next season claimed by Welmer, Agbeko, Lancona, Gilliam and Jolly.

Fact is we have multiple holes on the roster for next year and not enough roster spots to fill them. I would love another big man, but the college game is a guards game and you need multiple guards who can shoot on your roster. Don't think any of the guards or 3s we are bringing in are known as gunners.

I suggested someone already on the roster could be shown the door to create another spot on the roster earlier this season. That idea didn't go over very well on here. We are going to need Reggie to step up next year and fill the banger/rebounder role next year.

You can have only so many guards also. Opponents are getting too many offensive rebounds. Eliminate those and we could have won the last two games. We are not getting enough offensive rebounds. As for weariness of the players, it is obvious some of the starters are a step slower than earlier in the season. If we can't get by with six guards, then the guards coming in and the transfer guard must not be very good.

Tonka, while I always appreciate your posts, this one is really just general philosophy, and not specific analysis. Additionally, my post doesn't really dwell on playing the FR instead of the SRs. Only JB is a SR in my post. To disagree with my position, I would hope that you feel that we were a better team by playing JM. GG and JB instead of MC, RA and TL. If you do then that's fine we just have a different opinion-no problem. But your play the seniors reply did not really respond to my suggested approach.

Bauman, understood. Good point.

I just think experience trumps inexperience unless you have an unbelievably talented young guy. As much as I think our young guys are / will be better than GG and JM, both Glaze and Manning need to play next year no matter what. Neither of them have really played that much in the years prior. They too need playing time in order to develop.

My comments are also more geared towards JM and GG playing as opposed to TL and RA. Reggie hasn't gotten that much playing time and a good reason for that has been injuries, but even when he wasn't injured and didn't see time I often wondered why. I have heard his defense is not where the coaching staff wants it to be.

In regards to Grandy Glaze, it's hard to gauge him versus others with reduced playing time. I think the only way you can really do that is to look at per minute production. What is a player doing then they are in the game? If you look at production per minute, Glaze leads Reggie and Tanner in points, rebounds, steals, and blocks. While I think increased playing time will help RA and TL, from what we know now GG has outproduced those two in production per minute. Manning is in there because he clogs up the middle and can alter shots. Manning's a true 5 which makes him not as interchangeable as the others.

Well maybe SLU wants to go the way Villanova generally does, play 4 big guards. I'd be okay with another big shooting guard in the range of 6'5" or so. One that can hit the outside shot and take it to the hoop. College ball is a guard's game.

If you go with four guards they better be able to rebound. We already have four guards who are six four or taller: Crawford, Acoubou, Roby, and Bartlett. Reynolds is six two. The only short guard we will have next season is McBroom. We have no effective rebounders. But, the coaches know more about the teams needs than I do.

I would tell you that you can't replace RL for his size, ability to score in the paint, and ability to take over and win a game. I would say that you could replace JB. You can't have your 3 point "sniper" shooting 31%. He may be an improved defender but he's not anywhere close to one of the best on the team. He can rebound because he's one of the few guys who makes the effort to box out every time and not just chase the ball.

Exactly. And I'm not sure about the exact numbers off the top of my head, but I think RL started the season 2-25 from 3, or something similar.

Edit: 2-15 start, the last 3 games he's 0-11, the seven before that 16-31... Safe to say he's a little streaky.

I agree there's a big difference between a 6-11 guy and a 6-4 guy who shoot the same percentage. The big guy draws an opponent's big to the perimeter and opens up space in the paint, also it allows for the pick and pop. RL also brings a lot more to the table in other phases of the game. But many posters believe that RL is a super clutch deadeye who should let it rip whenever possible, while JB can't hit the broad side of a barn.

If you go with four guards they better be able to rebound. We already have four guards who are six four or taller: Crawford, Acoubou, Roby, and Bartlett. Reynolds is six two. The only short guard we will have next season is McBroom. We have no effective rebounders. But, the coaches know more about the teams needs than I do.

I bet you might see a lineup like that plus RA/GG next year. I can guarantee you between GG, JM, RA, MC, and AY we will have more control over the glass next season.

Jake has actually shot better from the 3 in conference games than both Loe and McBroom at 32.6 compared to the other two both at 30.9.

McCall has by far been our best 3 shooter in conference games at 39.6. Mike needs to shoot more.

I agree there's a big difference between a 6-11 guy and a 6-4 guy who shoot the same percentage. The big guy draws an opponent's big to the perimeter and opens up space in the paint, also it allows for the pick and pop. RL also brings a lot more to the table in other phases of the game. But many posters believe that RL is a super clutch deadeye who should let it rip whenever possible, while JB can't hit the broad side of a barn.

I want RL shooting 3s, and we're going to need them to drop. JB inspires less confidence. I would say he has shown the ability to hit the broad side of a barn though. The pick and pop you reference has been magic at times between JJ and RL.

Manning and Glaze will NOT play significant minutes next year. Why? Unless they both change significantly, their propensity for foul trouble will do both in Then what?.

So this takes me back to the original point. Crawford has shown he can shoot the ball. Play him more. I believe that Lancona can shoot. Honestly no one wants to do this, but Jett is not a 3 point threat. Wouldn't mind seeing his minutes go down very slightly in favor of more McBroom and McCall. Barnett is not being respected by defenses as a threat. Against Vandy, they were practically begging him to shoot.

No way you decrease JJ's minutes - he has been the only consistent scorer on this team. I a not saying that MC could not be a good shooter but really to say he has shown that he can shoot the ball is a bit premature at this point of his career.

I agree we have not been boxing out consistently - not sue why but clearly they can do better there. JB - if you had to live off of his 3pt shooting you would have starved already. I also agree that JM and GG have not shown enough to say they will be starters next year - they may start but they will not play that many minutes given their fouling propensity and honestly lack of scoring.

No way you decrease JJ's minutes - he has been the only consistent scorer on this team. I a not saying that MC could not be a good shooter but really to say he has shown that he can shoot the ball is a bit premature at this point of his career.

I'm fine with not decreasing JJ's minutes. I just want more lineups with 3 point threats. So we can have the 3 guard lineup more often. Also I agree that you probably can't say that MC can shoot it yet in his career, but I also think it's safe to say that JB really isn't a good shooter. He may have done well at Toledo but his percentages have been pretty low in his time here.

Manning and Glaze will NOT play significant minutes next year. Why? Unless they both change significantly, their propensity for foul trouble will do both in Then what?.

Logistically, they will have to. We're not going to have a lot of options. Jolly and Gilmann are both going to be projects just like many big men. Agbeko and Lancona should get good minutes, but how deep do you think this team will be next year in regards to bigs?

Often guys will improve on their fouling as they see more time and get into the flow of the game.