Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

I could see two reasons why his desire to come here would fall. First, perhaps the staff has botched his recruitment and offended him in some manner. However, the more likely reason is that he was high on the program following the three year run of success and now is not as in love with the program since there has been a fall from grace. Perhaps a change in coaching staff could bring him hope that SLU can turn it around and he can be one of the reasons why, but I doubt that he will commit if this current coaching staff is in place whether it is because they have not recruited him hard enough or he simply does not have faith in them.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No our coaches f'd it up. Ignoring him whIle recruiting tatum who happened to be on the same team all summer, inferring they were not sure he was tall enough, holding off on bringing him for unofficial visit and offering while bcs programs were fawning over him and offering on the spot.

Considering the lack of talent the billikens have its a joke.

No our coaches f'd it up. Ignoring him whIle recruiting tatum who happened to be on the same team all summer, inferring they were not sure he was tall enough, holding off on bringing him for unofficial visit and offering while bcs programs were fawning over him and offering on the spot.

Considering the lack of talent the billikens have its a joke.

+1. There is no facet of the Crews tenure to hang your hat on. Recruiting has been awful and is trending even further down.

Scott Burgess (Scout) caught up with Goodwin. Here's what JG had to say:

-He will take his official visits after this HS basketball season is over.

-He plans to make a decision late in the summer.

-He will play football again his senior year.

-His weight from 230 during the football season to 216 now, and he has seen an improvement in his athletic abilities because of it.

-When asked what offers he had, he listed Purdue, Illinois, Mizzou, Iowa, K-State, Virginia Tech, Illinois State, SEMO, and "a few others" that he couldn't remember off the top of his head.

-When asked who was showing interest but hasn't yet offered, he said "Pretty much just Indiana," and added that a couple assistants had been out to see him and said they liked his game, and that Coach Crean would be out to see him soon.

-He was asked about Illinois and Mizzou specifically and said they were "about equal," and said the same thing for both - he likes the campus, says the coaches are cool.

This wasn't in the interview, but Pickett said his first item of business after committing would be to call both Tilmon and Goodwin and push for Illinois.

My takeaways:

-Illinois and Mizzou appear to be the frontrunners, and I was surprised to hear Mizzou on equal footing as Illinois. But I guess he wants to visit both officially after the season and keep an open mind.

-The fact that he didn't even list SLU on his offers tells me the others are staying more involved.

-I wouldn't be surprised to see Indiana offer soon and make a strong push to get on the official visit list.

-#FireJimCrews

I wasn't going to even open this thread. I think I may just start watching the games on TV.

After all I live 1.6 miles from Chaifetz and even though I prepaid parking and have really good seats I made the mistake of going to the pinkout. WBB game was superior as far as coaching and kids trying hard than any game I went to for men's team last two years.

Current coaching smacks of having lost the whole team except Crawford but unable to strike back at the more talented kids.

Running off Grandy, Lancona, and McBroom did not get through to this team. They don't make plays, they are too slow or too ineffectual to finish baskets. They resort to trying to score one on one.

Playing Hines gave us a chance to see another kid too slow to make a layup.

I wasn't going to even open this thread. I think I may just start watching the games on TV.

After all I live 1.6 miles from Chaifetz and even though I prepaid parking and have really good seats I made the mistake of going to the pinkout. WBB game was superior as far as coaching and kids trying hard than any game I went to for men's team last two years.

Current coaching smacks of having lost the whole team except Crawford but unable to strike back at the more talented kids.

Running off Grandy, Lancona, and McBroom did not get through to this team. They don't make plays, they are too slow or too ineffectual to finish baskets. They resort to trying to score one on one.

Playing Hines gave us a chance to see another kid too slow to make a layup.

I'm not surprised Grandy is doing well. I always thought he got a bad deal by some on here. The kid will compete and rebound, something we desperately need from our frontline. We would have been better off encouraging BJ to go elsewhere after last season and keeping GG for his final year. That scholarship then would have been cleanly freed up after this season and we wouldn't have had to deal with BJ's nonsense.

I'm not surprised Grandy is doing well. I always thought he got a bad deal by some on here. The kid will compete and rebound, something we desperately need from our frontline. We would have been better off encouraging BJ to go elsewhere after last season and keeping GG for his final year. That scholarship then would have been cleanly freed up after this season and we wouldn't have had to deal with BJ's nonsense.

Agreed. Glaze isn't a world beater, but was he ever suspended?

• 3 weeks later...

Goodwin is putting on a show at the O'Fallon Shootout early in their game. He has definitely extended his range from a year ago.

Frank C did a special on him the other night and he mentioned the schools recruiting him. He listed about 10 schools including SEMO. He didn't mentioned SLU. It's seems this staff has completely botched his recruitment.

Been preaching for two years the 4 althoff kids were perfect for the billikens. It truly is a college coaching crime crews pretty much ignored them. And I know for a fact crews was clued in early by a high profile former billiken on their skills and their want to be billikens. He could have sewed up any or all four of them before anyone else had a clue.

I was at the O'Fallon Shootout. Its hard to believe we had no interest in Gooch or Ferguson and appear to have little in Goodwin and none in Bateman. They could all help us. I guess they are either not tall enough or slow enough to be a good fit with this roster.

I am not as high on the other three (although Tarkus appears better than our "combo" guards), but the fact that we were late to the party with Goodwin and questioned whether he could play at this level is a joke. It was interesting that our coaches had those concerns, but once offers started rolling in from high-major programs this summer we decided that he was in fact deserving of an offer. That to me told me all I needed to know about this staff, they really have no clue in recruiting. Had they never offered him, I actually would have been fine with it. I wouldn't have agreed with that decision, but it would have shown that for whatever reason they did not see him as a good fit for the program or at this level.

....but the fact that we were late to the party with Goodwin and questioned whether he could play at this level is a joke. It was interesting that our coaches had those concerns, but once offers started rolling in from high-major programs this summer we decided that he was in fact deserving of an offer. That to me told me all I needed to know about this staff, they really have no clue in recruiting.

Yes this is disturbing. Which coach(es) told you of these concerns on his ability to play at this level? Was it public or a private conversation you had? Coaches shouldn't be discussing potential recruits in public or for that matter in private. Public discussion would be an NCAA violation.

Maybe AD May will self report this violation and declare that we won't participate in the NCAA this year.

Been preaching for two years the 4 althoff kids were perfect for the billikens. It truly is a college coaching crime crews pretty much ignored them. And I know for a fact crews was clued in early by a high profile former billiken on their skills and their want to be billikens. He could have sewed up any or all four of them before anyone else had a clue.

This makes me wonder if Crews has ever truly been emotionally invested in this basketball program. At all. It's pretty evident that he doesn't care about the long term future here at SLU; he's just collecting the paychecks and getting ready to retire for good. Meanwhile, the basketball program is sinking into the abyss.

This makes me wonder if Crews has ever truly been emotionally invested in this basketball program. At all. It's pretty evident that he doesn't care about the long term future here at SLU; he's just collecting the paychecks and getting ready to retire for good. Meanwhile, the basketball program is sinking into the abyss.

From all outward appearances, this seems spot on.

Has anyone watched Wyatt Yess at all this season? I was looking at his stats and they are not overly impressive considering his size and the league he plays in - averaging 16.0 points (shooting 42.9% from the field, 27.9% from 3, and 76.9% from the free throw line), 8.5 rebounds, 1.95 assists, 1.38 steals, and 2.05 blocks.

Has anyone watched Wyatt Yess at all this season? I was looking at his stats and they are not overly impressive considering his size and the league he plays in - averaging 16.0 points (shooting 42.9% from the field, 27.9% from 3, and 76.9% from the free throw line), 8.5 rebounds, 1.95 assists, 1.38 steals, and 2.05 blocks.

I saw him twice this season. He had a good first half against Gordon & Vianney but then got smoked and Gordon manhandled him. Watched him again vs Webster and he was awful. He's done well against bad competition. He has some lingering injury issues from the offseason. I haven't been impressed with him.