Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

Platt deserves blame on the Goodwin failure, too. He was....wait for it....the "head recruiter." He didn't think Goodwin was worth offering. My guess he only did offer after everyone else did and realized he really was that dumb.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw pictures on Facebook of illini's groce posing with althoff's coach lieb after the championship trophy presentation. Grrrrrrr

Althoff wins state tourney in a 25 point romp. Goodwin leading scorer again. Crews f'd up big time. Too bad we didn't have a coach there to watch.

I watched the championship game also. I don't know how many Bateman scored in the semi's. Just watched Chaminade win their championship game. I have seen them a few times this year. Althoff I believe, is the better TEAM. They don't have a talent like Tatum but, they play together as a team. I don't believe Althoff would have struggled with the team Chaminade played.

Tatum could won the Missouri state championship with me, taj, skip and jimbo as the rest of his team. Only other local guy I would say comes close to him as the complete package I've ever seen is Darius miles

I want those Althoff guys here so badly. Crews and Platt sucked. #FireJimCrews #FireJimPlatt

Can we do it twice?

Plant me in the camp that Crews/Platt fail combo cost us both Goodwin and Tatum. We could have been contenders for national champions if we had a worthwhile coach.

I watched the championship game also. I don't know how many Bateman scored in the semi's. Just watched Chaminade win their championship game. I have seen them a few times this year. Althoff I believe, is the better TEAM. They don't have a talent like Tatum but, they play together as a team. I don't believe Althoff would have struggled with the team Chaminade played.

Chaminade played Althoff and it wasn't overly competitive.

First half althoff was ahead then Tatum took over. Great player was the difference

First half althoff was ahead then Tatum took over. Great player was the difference

Right. Chaminade did play Althoff this winter and handled them without too much trouble 81-66. So Chaminade is in fact the superior team and its probably not overly close. Althoff is really good, but I think Chaminade is on a different level thanks to Tatum (look at their schedule, they played the best of the best in the country and were really competitive). Jayson is definitely the best high school player I have ever seen play in person, just completely dominating. Minus Tatum, Althoff beats Chaminade without any trouble.

Regardless Roosevelt Jones was proof Goodwin will be good D1 player regardless how much better he gets on the wing. My guess is Goodwin develops a 3 point shot and gets better with the ball he is a top 20 wing guard. Goodwin is proof crews was clueless

I totally don't understand your comparison of Jones to Goodwin. First, I am a HUGE Rosey Jones fan. But how does his success at Butler PROVE that Goodwin will be a good D1 player? Rosey Jones made the most out of his skill set and shooting abilities. To state that his success directly translates to a high school player's future success is r e a l l y drawing a curved line between two dots.

Remember Jones was not thought of too highly coming out of HS. Jones was recruited by teams in the the Horizon League and Missouri Valley. Goodwin may very well eclipse the success that Jones had. But to say Jones' success proves anything for Goodwin is, well, weird.

I totally don't understand your comparison of Jones to Goodwin. First, I am a HUGE Rosey Jones fan. But how does his success at Butler PROVE that Goodwin will be a good D1 player? Rosey Jones made the most out of his skill set and shooting abilities. To state that his success directly translates to a high school player's future success is r e a l l y drawing a curved line between two dots.

Remember Jones was not thought of too highly coming out of HS. Jones was recruited by teams in the the Horizon League and Missouri Valley. Goodwin may very well eclipse the success that Jones had. But to say Jones' success proves anything for Goodwin is, well, weird.

Jones was a 3 star consensus top 150 recruit.

when jones came out of high school it was said he couldnt shoot outside and was too small to play forward. the exact same statements have been made about goodwin, thus the comparisons. i say goodwin is the roosevelt jones upgrade as he is a better athlete than jones. however if there is a knock on goodwin, it is he appears to be a mediocre outside shooter at best and he is only 6'3" at most. i contend that if jones is a college success goodwin will be even better. i am also betting the kid has an outside shot by November 2017. and as to his size, he is the most ferocious rebounder i have ever watched in person. it doesnt matter. defensively in the semi final game this year he guarded the opponents 6'10" illinois player of the year and pretty much shut him down.

now go back to sitting in crews kitchen drawing curved lines.

I love Goodwin's game. He'd have been a vintage Majerus recruit, the exact kind of player that would thrive under him and be an absolute beast for four seasons. Sigh.

Hopefully the new guy can at least reopen that road. Illinois appears to have the inside track. It might be too little, too late for us, but he'd be one of my first meetings/calls as new HC.

I love Goodwin's game. He'd have been a vintage Majerus recruit, the exact kind of player that would thrive under him and be an absolute beast for four seasons. Sigh.

Hopefully the new guy can at least reopen that road. Illinois appears to have the inside track. It might be too little, too late for us, but he'd be one of my first meetings/calls as new HC.

I don't think Groce sees 2017 recruits though. That would put SLU in a decent spot.

I don't think Groce sees 2017 recruits though. That would put SLU in a decent spot.

Actually saw a picture Saturday of groce with althoff's coach Greg lieb right after the championship trophy was presented. Groce is all about Goodwin right now. As is Iowa, Purdue. Creighton, mi$$ouri, Indiana, etc. The billikens were jordan's first choice so I believe an aggressive new coach can get back in the game but it won't be easy.

That was earlier in the year. Just because a team wins the first time they play does not mean they would win the second time. Just ask Incarnate Word.

• 2 weeks later...

Two words. Jordan Goodwin. Time to win him back.

Some think that Illinois is going to cash in on the 2017 IL studs who are apparently fairly close friends. They already have commitments from Da'Monte Williams and Javon Pickett and appear to be among the leaders for Jeremiah Tilmon and Jordan Goodwin. Goodwin apparently had some desire to stay home, so Ford will have a chance to excite the fan base fairly early with a recruiting win. I certainly won't hold it against Ford if he isn't able to land Goodwin, but add that to the list of failures of the previous staff.

Without a doubt it will be hard, as Chosen One says, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have a fresh start. Ford's recruiting prowess is the thing that could quickly endear him to the fan base. Here's hoping he can land the guy we seemed to have botched.