Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

I talked to a big althoff booster this morning who said tillmon is getting monster school attention. Said he just doesn't see us in play with tillmon at all.

I said if Tillmon is leaving his fancy prep school to play with Goodwin why wouldn't he consider going to college with goodwin. He said, "good point. What makes you think Goodwin will be interested in slu?"

Ford has quite the uphill battle. Thanks crews.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For you locals, what local '17 players should Ford go after hard in order of priority? Also, w/Groce on the hot seat don't you think guys like Goodwin and Tilmon might be in play?

I'll bite. But how wide do you stretch the "area"? For instance, does Jared Ridder down at Springfield Kickapoo count? More strictly within the STL area:

Definite Offers:

1. Jeremiah Tilmon

2. Jordan Goodwin

3. Wyatt Yess

Possible Offers:

4. Marvin Bateman

5. Brandon McKissic

Watch List (in alphabetical order):

Daniel Farris

Noa Frederking

Koray Gilbert

Alec Spence

Ryan Stipanovich

Levi Stockard

Kids with area ties or within a couple hours of STL who deserve offers: Michael Porter, Jared Ridder, Alonzo Verge, David Sloan.

I might be missing a few on the 'watch list' but those are kids I wouldn't quite offer yet but would be watching and keeping in touch with. I need to see more from Bateman and McKissic to say for sure, but have heard good things about both. The top three are no-brainers, as are the last four I mentioned. This is not to say SLU has a chance with all of them - each is a specific case and we may have missed our chance with some - but they are worthy of Ford's effort in the early going until we have a "no" from them.

No disrespect to the kid, but if a senior in high school who is going to play college ball at UIC would be our best player right now, then we are in even poorer shape than I thought

roy has never been one to over-rate a HS player from Illinois... he may be right, but kind of hard to believe that kid will immediately be better than Crawford. And Bishop was just recognized as one of the 5 best freshmen in the A-10. In order for this kid to clearly be better he would probably have to be the Freshman of the year in the Horizon League.

Another note: Javon Pickett would be a "no-brainer" but has committed to Illinois already.

Overall, 2017 is an uphill battle for SLU in terms of area kids. I would not expect many, if any, local players to end up signing unless Ford really wins over players and coaches key to that class that Crews & Co. had already lost.

The 2018 class is deeper and a year further out - obviously - so Ford has a better shot at making local noise with that one.

roy has never been one to over-rate a HS player from Illinois... he may be right, but kind of hard to believe that kid will immediately be better than Crawford. And Bishop was just recognized as one of the 5 best freshmen in the A-10. In order for this kid to clearly be better he would probably have to be the Freshman of the year in the Horizon League.

Sorry you didn't get to see Ferguson. You'd see I am right.

I believe he is a nice player Roy, and the failings of our staff on the east side (or any side for that matter) are too numerous to count, but I do think you tend to overrate kids from over there just a bit. Its okay. I get it. I do the same with kids from SLUH and other schools that I see in the MCC

Althoff just won the Illinois (as in it includes chicago) state championship by 35 points. Not just any Ole high school team

I believe he is a nice player Roy, and the failings of our staff on the east side (or any side for that matter) are too numerous to count, but I do think you tend to overrate kids from over there just a bit. Its okay. I get it. I do the same with kids from SLUH and other schools that I see in the MCC

Ferguson is a heck of a player. He did a great job on Tatum in the first half vs. CBC. He's a better defender than most HS kids and really good on offense.

No disrespect to the kid, but if a senior in high school who is going to play college ball at UIC would be our best player right now, then we are in even poorer shape than I thought

+100,000

What classification?

Althoff won the 3A championship, which included in the "Final 4," perennial powerhouses Peoria Manual (Howard Nathan {of Hoop Dreams fame}, Frank Williams) and Westchester St. Joe's (Isiah Thomas, William Gates {of Hoop Dreams fame, also}, et al).

4A are the largest schools in Illinois HS hoops. That's where Iguodala hailed from (Springfield Lanphier). The championships are played on the home floor of Hersey Hawkins' (76ers) alma mater, Bradley (Peoria Convention Center's Carver Arena). I saw my first concert there, Bon Jovi w/ Cinderella. We were late for Cinderella though somehow.

Goodwin waiting until after his SR is interesting. A lot of kids seem to prefer getting it out of the way, so they can concentrate on other things in their last year. Might it be he's waiting to see what Groce's status is after Illinois's season? Does he think he might get offers from some Royalty teams like Duke or KY? Is football more in his future? Or, and this is a stretch, he wants to see where Travis Ford is taking SLU? Whatever his reasoning, this gives Ford a lot more time to spin positives for SLU.

I'd be surprised if Goodwin actually waits until after his senior year. That's something kids say but once they get sick and tired of all the recruiting or coaches pressure them to make a decision they end up signing in the fall.

No

Westy I've been told by very close sources that Goodwin, while a football relative Newby, has genuine interest. Iowa has offered him for both football and basketball already. Some folks connected at Althoff believe he actually has a higher ceiling in football. Personally I just hope the kid,doesn't get hurt waiting for basketball to start.

Westy I've been told by very close sources that Goodwin, while a football relative Newby, has genuine interest. Iowa has offered him for both football and basketball already. Some folks connected at Althoff believe he actually has a higher ceiling in football. Personally I just hope the kid,doesn't get hurt waiting for basketball to start.

You've been told wrong

Actually I have no idea

Roy, sounds like you have some solid connections with Goodwin and his mindset at this particular time. You may have said this already, but do you get a the feeling that Ford has a 0% chance of turning the tide with some of these Illinois kids? In your opinion, is he wasting his time with the in home visits if in fact he is going after these guys?

Roy, sounds like you have some solid connections with Goodwin and his mindset at this particular time. You may have said this already, but do you get a the feeling that Ford has a 0% chance of turning the tide with some of these Illinois kids? In your opinion, is he wasting his time with the in home visits if in fact he is going after these guys?

I wouldn't know that. I don't know the goodwins and even if I did I wouldn't ask as it isn't my place to get in the middle plus might be an ncaa violation as a billiken booster.

I say ford better take a run. They are too good not to try. If Goodwin or any of these locals are not interested Ford should know when to turn away. But with them being local the investment needed to try is fairly small it would seem to me.