Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely think so. Their flaw will be depth. But any time you have a 4/5* big and a 4 star guard you have a good chance at state.

I think SLUH should be pretty good again as well. I am sure the entire MCC is thrilled to finally have Tatum gone (4 time conference POY).

So what are the realistic chances that Ford gets commitments from either Tilmon or Goodwin?

I wonder how many of the local recruits are viewing the hiring of Ford.

I don't think we are even in the conversation for Tilmon and if he commits to Illinois fairly soon that might take us out of the conversation for Goodwin as well (giving the Illini a nice class of 4 2017 in state studs). I don't think we had any shot at Goodwin with the prior coaching staff, so Ford could at least get us back in that race since he apparently has some interest in staying home and playing at SLU.

With the talent in the state over the next few seasons, bringing in Ford at this point in time could at least give us a shot with some kids who we likely had no chance with under the previous staff (it sounds like we did a really poor job of establishing relationships locally).

It will be interesting to see how Ford attacks recruiting. Will he be going after top 100 type recruits and compete against high-major programs or will he target that next tier of recruit.

According to Bernie's online column about the hiring, Ford once brought in a top 35 recruiting class to Eastern Kentucky. With his past recruiting success and the amount of high level recruits in the area over the next few years, I bet Ford is going to be shooting for some of them. He may not be successful getting them, but I bet he will give it a shot, especially after hearing him talk about wanting to keep local kids home.

According to Bernie's online column about the hiring, Ford once brought in a top 35 recruiting class to Eastern Kentucky. With his past recruiting success and the amount of high level recruits in the area over the next few years, I bet Ford is going to be shooting for some of them. He may not be successful getting them, but I bet he will give it a shot, especially after hearing him talk about wanting to keep local kids home.

My question was meant beyond local players since I think it should be a given that SLU will make a run at the top local recruits.

We will find out fairly quickly how Ford is doing recruiting in the state (and right across the river) with some studs over the next few years including (just listing the players I am finding within a few minutes):

-2017 - Michael Porter, Jeremiah Tilmon, Jordan Goodwin, Jared Ridder, David Sloan (KY kid who played with the Eagles), Alonzo Verge (IL kid who played with the Eagles), Javon Pickett, Brandon McKissic

-2018 - Bol Bol, Carte'Are Gordon, Jontay Porter, Courtney Ramey, Torrence Watson, Fred Thatch, Elijah Farr

-2019 - Marcedus Leech

My question was meant beyond local players since I think it should be a given that SLU will make a run at the top local recruits.

We will find out fairly quickly how Ford is doing recruiting in the state (and right across the river) with some studs over the next few years including (just listing the players I am finding within a few minutes):

-2017 - Michael Porter, Jeremiah Tilmon, Jordan Goodwin, Jared Ridder, David Sloan (KY kid who played with the Eagles), Alonzo Verge (IL kid who played with the Eagles), Javon Pickett, Brandon McKissic

-2018 - Bol Bol, Carte'Are Gordon, Jontay Porter, Courtney Ramey, Torrence Watson, Fred Thatch, Elijah Farr

-2019 - Marcedus Leech

It looks like Goodwin is waiting until after next season to make his choice. That gives Ford more time to recruit him.

http://www.bnd.com/sports/high-school/prep-basketball/article69671597.html

Is Ferguson D1 worthy. If so, offer them both. Can't believe Crews and Platt dragged their feet on this kid. Then again it's not so hard to believe.

Would takng a dad and his son fishing in your bass boat be against the NCAA rules?

Is Ferguson D1 worthy. If so, offer them both. Can't believe Crews and Platt dragged their feet on this kid. Then again it's not so hard to believe.

Would takng a dad and his son fishing in your bass boat be against the NCAA rules?

If not against the rules any recruit and father would be welcome to fish out of mine, the crappie and bass fishing at LOZ is on. LOL

I think Ferguson is signed with University of Illinois-Chicago.

Ferguson would be our best player right now. Unfortunately he is a senior and signed to go to Illinois Chicago. Crews completely ignored him

Ferguson would be our best player right now. Unfortunately he is a senior and signed to go to Illinois Chicago. Crews completely ignored him

No disrespect to the kid, but if a senior in high school who is going to play college ball at UIC would be our best player right now, then we are in even poorer shape than I thought

No disrespect to the kid, but if a senior in high school who is going to play college ball at UIC would be our best player right now, then we are in even poorer shape than I thought

He signed with UIC during the early signing period. If he would've waited he likely would have much better offers.

7'0 250

Just from the looks of that, I doubt he'll be a Travis Ford-type of player. I'm expecting a resurrection of Spoonball with Ford where we'll have undersized big men who can run the court. Actually, this type of team can thrive more than back in the day with the game changing so much.

For you locals, what local '17 players should Ford go after hard in order of priority? Also, w/Groce on the hot seat don't you think guys like Goodwin and Tilmon might be in play?

I'd start with both Goodwin and Bateman at Althoff. They fit into Ford's style of play.

Goodwin said in an article last week he's not deciding on a school until AFTER next season. So, he's still in play.

For you locals, what local '17 players should Ford go after hard in order of priority? Also, w/Groce on the hot seat don't you think guys like Goodwin and Tilmon might be in play?

If Groce lands Goodwin and Tilmon, his seat will cool down just enough for U of I to ensure those guys don't de-commit.