Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Soderball said:

he has to go because he is just that bad, CBFan.

He is not here on an academic scholarship, he is here on an athletic scholarship.

It is absolutely unacceptable for this program to have to put up with the abysmal failure of Crews. SLU has bills to pay. Chaifetz Arena aint free.

Majerus ran off far better players.

I agree good point about what the scholarship is and they are that bad and I love the way you tell it like it is.

Happy New Year Soderball

4 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

For those who have seen Thatch play, does his game translate to the college level?

He seemed like a bit of a tweener early in his HS career. He was a bit bulkier in size last year when I saw him, this year he looked like he had slimmed down. He is a freak athlete. I think he would play the 2 at the college level. High motor guy that I think compares kinda similar to Goodwin in my opinion. He seems to be working on increasing his range which will help once he gets to this level.

11 hours ago, The Pelican said:

They thought around Xmas he would verbal. Hopefully in the next two weeks. 

This should probably be in the 2018 thread, but I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention on the board. 

I'm also surprised that a strong, athletic guard who scores in bunches like Thatch doesn't have more offers on the table. 

7 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

This should probably be in the 2018 thread, but I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention on the board. 

I'm also surprised that a strong, athletic guard who scores in bunches like Thatch doesn't have more offers on the table. 

-when there is evidence/reporting of a verbal then the discussion will intensify

20 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Thatch has offers from Mizzou, Memphis, Arkansas... 

I am seeing offers from SLU, Mizzou, and Tulsa. He is an intriguing player based on his production. Adding him to some of the guys we have lined up (Goodwin, French, Gordon, and Bess) would make for a really physical group.

21 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Also we were a top 25 program with honestly only 5 players in the 2013-14 season with Grandy and Mcbroom letting our starters take a breather

By the end season Evans and Jett were really beat-up. I came in for the Dayton senior night game and had seats overlooking the walk-way where the trainer sets up. I recall watching him work on Evans for a good part of that game.

It can be done but if we can get some decent serviceable bench players, that's the better way to go. 

On 1/2/2017 at 0:34 PM, Glorydays2013 said:

Also we were a top 25 program with honestly only 5 players in the 2013-14 season with Grandy and Mcbroom letting our starters take a breather

These numbers are from 2013-2014:

Jett, 31.6 mpg, McCall 30.0, Evans 29.6, Loe 27.7, Barnett 24.2, McBroom 21.5, Glaze 12.9 and Manning 11.9. 

Today we have 9 players averaging double digit minutes ranging from Bishops 32.2 mpg to Johnson's 15.6 mpg.

Smith has certainly opened my eyes this season and with each passing game, he looks more and more like a big-time guard. There's no question he's worthy of a SLU offer. The question is now that we have the Graves transfer along with Goodwin, is there room for him? Without knowing who will transfer in a few months, or how many, it's just hard to say.

If Goodwin is tweeting that he wants to tell the SLU staff about him, my hunch is that he wouldn't mind the backcourt addition and doesn't have an ego about being the PG on this team.

3star makes an excellent point in that even Graves is not much of an assist man. Smith is averaging 9.5 APG despite leading his team in scoring. He's really doing it all this year.

I've added him to the 2017 interest list. Even if the staff isn't interested, most of us seem to be. He's worth following.

Here's the other thing I like about Smith: dude gets up for big games. His excellent numbers (21.6, 7.7, 9.5, and 2.2 SPG) are arguably low, as Edwardsville's coach is quick to sit his stars the whole second half if the game is already out of hand. Edwardsville has now beaten Althoff twice, and Smith has scored 37 and 35 in those games, with 9 and 8 assists. He put up 31 against Carbondale and 30 against Springfield Southeast; he had 9 assists in each of those games.

I'm not sure there's a more effective all-around player in the STL area than Smith, except possibly Goodwin, who scores more and rebounds more but doesn't distribute as much. Smith is even one of the top FT shooters in the area.

Let's keep in mind K State is in the mix for all these boys as well.  They are having a good season so far.  Lost to KU tonight on a buzzer beater.  They have offered Smith,  Ramey, Watson as well. They have a solid recruiting class next year with Stockard.  Sneed is there as well.  SLU benefited by Gordon and Goodwin wanting to stay home. Hopefully things turn around next year because these kids will have an eye on all the programs mentioned by you guys.

22 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Let's keep in mind K State is in the mix for all these boys as well.  They are having a good season so far.  Lost to KU tonight on a buzzer beater.  They have offered Smith,  Ramey, Watson as well. They have a solid recruiting class next year with Stockard.  Sneed is there as well.  SLU benefited by Gordon and Goodwin wanting to stay home. Hopefully things turn around next year because these kids will have an eye on all the programs mentioned by you guys.

There'd have some t's called if I'da been there at the end last night

On 1/2/2017 at 1:51 PM, Glorydays2013 said:

True but I can see Goodwin being our next Jett and French being our next Dwayne Evans, after that we do have a much more talented class coming in than I think we ever had in history, What would we rank in recruiting class if transfers were included?

If Goodwin is all he seems to be he should be more than our next Jett, which I would be quite pleased if we get that but it could be way better

On 1/2/2017 at 6:45 PM, CBFan said:

I agree good point about what the scholarship is and they are that bad and I love the way you tell it like it is.

Happy New Year Soderball

It doesn't tell the whole story, it is a very unsavory thing to run off a kid who SLU made a commitment to and whom one would have to imagine is a great representative of himself, the university, our fine city, and of Canada too. He is more than likely all of these things in every area except his basketball talent.

The truth is however that SLU has bills to pay, Ford has games to win, and we fans want to see a quality product. That can't happen if so much of the limited, limited scholarships are eaten up for multiple years by what is frankly dead weight. We haven't committed gross violations worthy of an NCAA sanction, yet holding on to some of these guys may as well be an NCAA sanction. Louisville wouldn't mess around with this. Our hero, Rick Majerus, the Great One, certainly didn't mess around with this.

4 hours ago, McBroom luvs McDonalds said:

So Hasahn French has still never lifted weights... TF has to be drooling over this.. 

Jesus.  

This is rare breed coming through. 

1 minute ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I thought what he said was that he'd never lifted weights before playing football, and I think he didn't quite understand the question when asked if he still has never lifted weights.  I seriously doubt that he's never incorporated weights into his training by this point.

When asked "you still haven't lifted weights", we responded "not yet"