Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

On 01/13/2017 at 5:10 PM, kshoe said:

I hear ya, but the point I'm trying to make is that there is no point in banking a scholarship and also not renewing AG. If you plan to bank one, might at well have a 7 footer on your bench instead.

he doesnt help by being any height. he cant play. he could be 10 feet tall and give you nothing at his skill and athletic level.

he is a senior next year however. he would not impact 2018 recruiting.

neufeld is a soph and would waste 2 more years of scholarship. he is also a soph and should academically be a good transfer candidate.

Bishop ive always thought will transfer because he has options. ive been given a lot of flak for saying that,  i do not think Bishop will be run off, i will not be upset if he does move on.

roby obviously stays. welmer is here at least next year. moore stays. sophomore year is usually the best year to transfer anyway. i think Moore and Welmer definitely have a d1 career whatever school theyre at. the only one who clearly doesnt is Neufeld.

height is not a determinant of playing ability. it must be combined with size and strength and athleticism.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 01/11/2017 at 3:28 PM, slufanskip said:

Imo losing Roby, Welmer, Bishop. JJ, and Moore would limit how good we'll be next year. I think they will all have roles and contribute. As Graves starts to play and gets acclimated it might affect Bishop's minutes. We don't know about Foreman's injury nor are we 100% sure Goodwin will be ready to begin the season.

JJ is a Ford recruit. Him transferring is absurd.

19 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

AG stays.  You need at least 2 scholarships to give for 2018.  AG is a practice body.  And most coaches will not run off seniors.

AG could leave after this year and be replaced by an immediately eligible graduate transfer for one year (2017-18) and we would still be in great shape for class of 2018.

47 minutes ago, ACE said:

AG could leave after this year and be replaced by an immediately eligible graduate transfer for one year (2017-18) and we would still be in great shape for class of 2018.

This is the only scenario I see gillman being "pushed" out. There is a scenario where he just quits, but that depends on how close he is to graduating, financial situation etc.

While SLU was getting drubbed, so was Illinois. Groce has about a 33% chance of finishing .500 or below at this point. 7-11 in Big Ten seems to be the best hope. Will it be enough to get him canned? It should be - if Illinois basketball is as good as their fans seem to think. 

36 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

While SLU was getting drubbed, so was Illinois. Groce has about a 33% chance of finishing .500 or below at this point. 7-11 in Big Ten seems to be the best hope. Will it be enough to get him canned? It should be - if Illinois basketball is as good as their fans seem to think. 

Do we have a scholarship open and ready for Tilmon once Groce is canned????/

I agree with you Johnny Gilly and Neufeld not playing for the second straight game says a lot now.

I think with the strong recruiting class coming to Illinois I think coach Groce has solid footing for another season.

12 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Who would the Illini target if they fire Groce in a month+? Would they take a run at Cuonzo Martin?

Their fans will talk in great pie in the sky ideas like Gregg Marshall (not happening) or Cuonzo Martin (maybe but probably not - whats the upgrade?) or maybe then Archie Miller (maybe, but can they afford him/he could do better). Then they'll settle into the typical Illinois hire - mid major head coach with recent NCAA success. Groce, Weber, Self. They're batting .500 on those guys so maybe they're due for a good one. 

Someone like Kevin Keatts from UNCW might fit the bill there and might be a pretty good recruiter. Maybe Groce needs to stay.

42 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Their fans will talk in great pie in the sky ideas like Gregg Marshall (not happening) or Cuonzo Martin (maybe but probably not - whats the upgrade?) or maybe then Archie Miller (maybe, but can they afford him/he could do better). Then they'll settle into the typical Illinois hire - mid major head coach with recent NCAA success. Groce, Weber, Self. They're batting .500 on those guys so maybe they're due for a good one. 

Someone like Kevin Keatts from UNCW might fit the bill there and might be a pretty good recruiter. Maybe Groce needs to stay.

The funniest thing about Groce and the Illini is if you compare Groce with the Illini to Weber at K St.  By every metric Weber has been more successful at K St than Groce has been with the Illini.  Weber has been to more NCAA tournaments and will add another one this year.  Weber has the better overall and conference record.  Weber has had the better Pomeroy rated team 4 out of the 5 seasons.  And Weber's program is young with 4 of the top 6 guys in minutes played being sophomores or freshmen.  Weber is getting more done at f'ing K St than Groce can get done with a program that Illini fans think should be one of the best in the country.