Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

Hargrave is just now emerging.    Has all the tools and is a superb athlete.  Also reputed to be a straight A honor student, however that said, e st louis high school has a way of not really completing the educational potential of their students.    

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Belleville Althoff 73 Quincy High (aka The Other Place) 61 in Quarterfinals of Collinsville Tourney.

Jordan Goodwin:  28 points, 10 rebounds, 4 3-Pointers, 4 assists, 4 steals.

Bateman:  16 points, 4 3-Pointers.

Goodwin isn't good enough to play for Marquette. Good thing he signed with SLU. 

9 hours ago, crymdg2 said:

Goodwin hitting his FTs down the stretch. 

Althoff wins in OT. Goodwin with 31pts.

fuoking fuok yeah.  i don't like using the word, but goodwin is going to BEAST hard all over the A-10.  not to say that tilmon wouldn't, too, but he's a tool, and he's also gonna be runner up to goodwin for ILL player of the year.

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

-was my first viewing of Smith, Tilmon and Goodwin so one viewing opinions are what they are and it was their second game of the day

-Smith (Edwardsville) is also built, seems unlimited range, gets to the basket, handles well, I wish it would have been a closer game to see how he reacted to that and they would have played more man defense, he will be a good player somewhere, i guess we think Graves is better or we can't get Smith

-Hargrave showed a lot for a soph, someone that should be on our radar without doubt if his schooling is in line

-Tilmon was double teamed most of the night but got his anyway, around the basket he can fill it but Althoff is not real tall, I can only think of one shot not right around the rim, has a great build for a high school 7 footer, never saw him handle or shoot from range so in this one game he looked like a typical American 5, after Groce gets fired Tilmon will look great for us

-Goodwin, built, tough, can jump, can defend, can handle, defended Tilmon and had only 1 or 2 fouls, never came out of the game and was going the entire time,  opened the game on fire but then forced some possessions but made big ft's down the stretch, there was a lot, I mean a lot, of jawing on the court and Goodwin participated in that, early in the game he made a nice drive to the basket and put his face in a camera and got beat by the ball down the floor but this might be picking nits, there is a lot to look forward to with him wearing our jersey, I get the original 3 transfers will have 3 years on him but if they are as good as Goodwin, wow, if Goodwin isn't our best player next season we are in great shape, he will be a fan favorite of this I am very confident, great job by the staff to land him and I realize I am gushing but probably not since Larry have I been so excited by a local player for us (to clarify, I am not comparing Goodwin to Larry as players, only noting my level of excitement for Goodwin Being a Billiken to that with Larry)

Cowboy,  I compare Smith from Edwardsville to Josh fisher.   Agree?

Cowboy,  considering crews "wasn't sure Goodwin was good enough" doesn't that seal it that he was a total zero of a coach after seeing Goodwin for yourself?  

The thing about Goodwin that everyone will just love is his never stop style.   He guards full court all the time, he wants the ball and control, he is most relentless rebounder I've ever seen he just plays.    Lisch was the only high school player that played like that prior to Goodwin.   I now believe Goodwin exceeds lisch.   Plus Goodwin is bigger, stronger and more athletic.   Too bad he "isn't good enough to play for slu".

Man, I love everything being said about Goodwin. Regardless of ranking, skill level, other offers, and all the other noise around recruiting, any kid that plays with that level of determination is going to be a fan favorite. It just so happens he's also a consensus top-60 player with a lot of ability. This is the most excited I've ever been for an incoming player at SLU.

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-Smith (Edwardsville) is also built, seems unlimited range, gets to the basket, handles well, I wish it would have been a closer game to see how he reacted to that and they would have played more man defense, he will be a good player somewhere, i guess we think Graves is better or we can't get Smith

I realize I am gushing but probably not since Larry have I been so excited by a local player for us (to clarify, I am not comparing Goodwin to Larry as players, only noting my level of excitement for Goodwin Being a Billiken to that with Larry)

If I were Smith, I would go mid-major and be the conference player of the year from his sophomore year on. He would put up big numbers and get a chance at The League that way. If he goes to Illinois he's going to get locked into a point guard battle with Trent Frazier.

Goodwin is a bully who can pass.That's a good thing. He's a born leader.

9 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

i like how Goodwin, despite the many accolades, calls himself #underrated 

Every player has stuff like that on their Twitter. Guys say "stay humble" and then "underrated" in the same sentence sometimes. It's hilarious. #StayHungry #StayHumble #Underrated #ProvingDoubtersWrong #SilencingHaters #HatedByMany #LovedByFew and all that nonsense. I wouldn't put too much into it. It's just a young athlete condition.

It's like when Kentucky had all that preseason 40-0 hype a few years ago, lost some games early, and then wound up winning it all after being a lower-than-usual seed in the Tournament. Every player in postseason interviews was like "Everyone doubted us" and "So many haters" and "we suffered through adversity" when literally no one doubted them, the only disagreement was the degree of their greatness, and the only adversity was them simply underperforming in the regular season.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Every player has stuff like that on their Twitter. Guys say "stay humble" and then "underrated" in the same sentence sometimes. It's hilarious. #StayHungry #StayHumble #Underrated #ProvingDoubtersWrong #SilencingHaters #HatedByMany #LovedByFew and all that nonsense. I wouldn't put too much into it. It's just a young athlete condition.

It's like when Kentucky had all that preseason 40-0 hype a few years ago, lost some games early, and then wound up winning it all after being a lower-than-usual seed in the Tournament. Every player in postseason interviews was like "Everyone doubted us" and "So many haters" and "we suffered through adversity" when literally no one doubted them, the only disagreement was the degree of their greatness, and the only adversity was them simply underperforming in the regular season.

i truly think that fact that hes ONLY ranked around no 50 in the nation is insulting to him.... and I love that

44 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Always love finding these... The salt is all too real...

and its Ford recruits by 30 FWIW

image.jpg

This Hughes guy is an idiot. Of course anyone who is getting the job done better than the Illini must be cheating. He can't face how irrelevant his team has become.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Cowboy,  I compare Smith from Edwardsville to Josh fisher.   Agree?

Cowboy,  considering crews "wasn't sure Goodwin was good enough" doesn't that seal it that he was a total zero of a coach after seeing Goodwin for yourself?  

The thing about Goodwin that everyone will just love is his never stop style.   He guards full court all the time, he wants the ball and control, he is most relentless rebounder I've ever seen he just plays.    Lisch was the only high school player that played like that prior to Goodwin.   I now believe Goodwin exceeds lisch.   Plus Goodwin is bigger, stronger and more athletic.   Too bad he "isn't good enough to play for slu".

-I can see similarities to Fisher

-if two years ago Goodwin was half of the player he showed last night he should be recruited, I don't think we need further evidence of the recruiting incompetence of the prior staff as it is too vast

-I wish I hadn't committed to our game as i would return to Collinsville tonight to see a big part of our future 

-Goodwin was money well $pent ;)

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

This is a really great post.  About a week or so ago I had read this article by a minor athlete in a minor sport saying how he overcame all the hate and doubt when comically it is doubtful that more than 200 strangers in the whole country would have anything bad to say about the guy.  Sadly this attitude extends well outside athletics (the most privileged acting as if they are the great strugglers and believing they deserve some kind of pity or awe).