Recruiting 2015

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The original statement said he makes a lot of money. Any college coach makes a lot of money compared to their players (even including Kentucky). My point was that Crews is not highly paid for an A10 coach. He certainly is not highly paid for an A10 coach coming off back to back COY awards. My second point to that was very few people who post on this board probably know how much he actually makes; and speaking about what you don't know as fact is usually unwise.

Your 'point' was in response to Pistol saying that Crews should be held accountable since he is the CEO of the team; the guy who ultimately makes the decisions, the guy who is getting paid well, and thus the guy who should catch some heat for this season. So his salary compared to other A-10 coaches, coaches in general, regular people, or players is completely and absolutely irrelevant to the original discussion.

It appears we have offered 5'10" 2015 point guard Jahshire Hardnett. He has a ton of offers.

Finally got around to researching this kid, a PG out of Gulfport, Mississippi. SLU and Penn State are his latest offers. UConn and Cal have also offered in 2015. Murray State is another one that seems very active with him, and K-State is very much in the mix. It's hard to tell which other offers are still fresh. He's visiting Penn State on March 27th.

He's short (5-11, 180), but solid. Really strong with both hands and going in both directions, but seems to prefer going to his left. Appears more comfortable driving than shooting, and uses his stocky build to bump and create separation in traffic. Not shy about contact at all. Loves the teardrops and high-off-the-glass layups and other small-man methods of scoring, and he's good at it.

He averaged over 22 PPG as a junior at Gulfport HS before transferring to Arlington Country Day in Jacksonville for his senior year. Then ACD turned out to be kind of a sham school (like the one Willie Reed attended, or Deion Sanders' Prime Prep, or any other tax shelter phony school set up to house an athletic program). So he really only played half a senior year. More info here: http://www.clarionledger.com/story/prepsreport/2015/01/13/jahshire-hardnett-leaves-acd/21722087/

So I'm not sure if the NCAA Clearinghouse will be an issue or not. I think he was able to fulfill his last couple credits, but I'm not 100% sure.

Physically, he could fit the mold of a Steve Logan (who played at Cincinnati from 1998-2002). Logan was also a very good 3-point shooter, but Hardnett does a lot of the same things when he drives- using deceptive strength, passing well and finding unexpected scoring opportunities inside the arc and paint.

We need guards that can handle: the best feeder on the team was TL and Crews and company couldn't figure out to use him.

McBroom was shut down against better competition the kid should have stayed at his first choice Central Michigan he would have made more money playing in Europe averaging 15-20 points a game.

TL won't be missed all bean counters know actions that are not allowed never get accumulated-in my book Crews through this kid under the bus for the sake of giving all freshman a shot at playing time. The fans got to watch a changing scenery of unproven kids struggle against coached teams that played to win.

I can't remember ever seeing a team that I wished the season was over half way through. Crews did a very poor job. You could see certain coaches sidelined themselves looking unaffiliated during time outs.

I'll say this regarding throwing players under the bus. The program is bigger than any 1 player. On some of the best low major tourney teams every kid (starter or not) knows what their role is. Winning is more important that playing time. Now it is fair to say "the team wasn't winning" but I think that the future winnings are the ultimate goal. Accept your role or move on. TL didn't seems to be enthusiastic on the bench. Just my two cents

Finally got around to researching this kid, a PG out of Gulfport, Mississippi. SLU and Penn State are his latest offers. UConn and Cal have also offered in 2015. Murray State is another one that seems very active with him, and K-State is very much in the mix. It's hard to tell which other offers are still fresh. He's visiting Penn State on March 27th.

He's short (5-11, 180), but solid. Really strong with both hands and going in both directions, but seems to prefer going to his left. Appears more comfortable driving than shooting, and uses his stocky build to bump and create separation in traffic. Not shy about contact at all. Loves the teardrops and high-off-the-glass layups and other small-man methods of scoring, and he's good at it.

He averaged over 22 PPG as a junior at Gulfport HS before transferring to Arlington Country Day in Jacksonville for his senior year. Then ACD turned out to be kind of a sham school (like the one Willie Reed attended, or Deion Sanders' Prime Prep, or any other tax shelter phony school set up to house an athletic program). So he really only played half a senior year. More info here: http://www.clarionledger.com/story/prepsreport/2015/01/13/jahshire-hardnett-leaves-acd/21722087/

So I'm not sure if the NCAA Clearinghouse will be an issue or not. I think he was able to fulfill his last couple credits, but I'm not 100% sure.

Physically, he could fit the mold of a Steve Logan (who played at Cincinnati from 1998-2002). Logan was also a very good 3-point shooter, but Hardnett does a lot of the same things when he drives- using deceptive strength, passing well and finding unexpected scoring opportunities inside the arc and paint.

Reminds me of a taller Chaz Williams.

We need guards that can handle: the best feeder on the team was TL and Crews and company couldn't figure out to use him.

Tanner had a two year total of 17 assists, and he is the 'best feeder' on the team? Did you call Coach Crews and tell him to figure it out like you did? Tanner's 18 career TO's pretty well canceled out his assists.

McBroom was shut down against better competition the kid should have stayed at his first choice Central Michigan he would have made more money playing in Europe averaging 15-20 points a game.

TL won't be missed all bean counters know actions that are not allowed never get accumulated-in my book Crews through this kid under the bus for the sake of giving all freshman a shot at playing time. The fans got to watch a changing scenery of unproven kids struggle against coached teams that played to win.

I can't remember ever seeing a team that I wished the season was over half way through. Crews did a very poor job. You could see certain coaches sidelined themselves looking unaffiliated during time outs.

TL didn't do anything to deserve more playing time. He couldn't defend, rebound or score. His only contribution was some passing from the high post against the zone in one game. His game regressed from last year.

Any chance at a transfer who has graduated and would be eligible this coming year? We'd then have another scholarship for the strong class of 2016.

If there are, why would they come here? 5th year transfers usually want a shot at the tournament. There not going to see that here.

If there are, why would they come here? 5th year transfers usually want a shot at the tournament. There not going to see that here.

Assuming all players want a shot at the tourney, I guess the entire team should go elsewhere... Ugh. This is getting old.

Assuming all players want a shot at the tourney, I guess the entire team should go elsewhere... Ugh. This is getting old.

Ugh you are getting old. Always interpreting things in a negative light. Kmbilliken made a legitimate argument that a decent 5th year transfer would want to play for a team that has a good shot at a tournament appearance. Why would a good 5th year want to play for a dead last conference team? A 5th year has experience and has put in a lot of work and practice and only has one more shot. The players on our team are not entitled to anything. They need to work hard and put in the practice hours. If any player on our team wants to transfer to a tournament bound team then let them. I highly doubt they will receive the minutes that they received here. No one on our team is currently a "stud" but that doesn't meant that one day they can't be

Sure we can all specify what we want for next year's team in great detail and make these ideal specs as elaborate as we wish. Getting what we wish for is, as you say, very difficult. It is entirely possible that we may not get the caliber of players we want, or players that do not need to redshirt, to fill the vacancies in our roster for next year, something that will become more difficult if more players transfer. Therefore we may have to consider offering scholarships to "project" players, players that will red shirt next year, or playing existing with walk ons to fill the ranks.

There is no reason to think walk ons cannot have a Conklin summer. The opportunity is potentially there for them next year. Who knows what will happen.

There is no reason to think walk ons cannot have a Conklin summer. The opportunity is potentially there for them next year. Who knows what will happen.

If our walk-ons are garnering minutes in anything other than blowout victories, we are fuocked.

Brian Conklin was the 50th ranked PF in his class. He shot > 50% FG for his SLU career prior to his SR season. His freshman year he averaged 6.1 PPG and 3.9 RPG shooting 52% from the floor. He was limited by injuries and his own poor finishing for a significant part of his time at SLU, but he was always a key contributor.

No walk on is going to go from practice player to 1st team all conference PF by locking himself in the gym all summer.

I'm not saying walk-ons can't turn into valuable players - it does happen - but there's a reason they weren't offered scholarships in the first place.