Recruiting 2015

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just thought Roscoe catching the attention of the staff was an interesting sidenote now that the Christian Williams recruitment has ended. Speaking of Williams, the article below gives the rationale for his commitment to Iowa. I think there's a teachable moment here. It's going to be damn hard to lure big, skilled, athletic guards away from the Power 5 conferences. The big schools will just string these kids along indefinitely and the kids know their value to their "backup schools" so they can afford to wait. Maybe Majerus was on to something -- get the quickest, toughest, defensive-minded 6'2 and under guards you can get. Those kids are not nearly as highly sought after and often cause headaches for bigger guards.

http://herald-review.com/high-school/stt/williams-decides-on-iowa/article_89aaa308-f3a8-50a6-bb0b-07ba4eda689d.html

I just thought Roscoe catching the attention of the staff was an interesting sidenote now that the Christian Williams recruitment has ended. Speaking of Williams, the article below gives the rationale for his commitment to Iowa. I think there's a teachable moment here. It's going to be damn hard to lure big, skilled, athletic guards away from the Power 5 conferences. The big schools will just string these kids along indefinitely and the kids know their value to their "backup schools" so they can afford to wait. Maybe Majerus was on to something -- get the quickest, toughest, defensive-minded 6'2 and under guards you can get. Those kids are not nearly as highly sought after and often cause headaches for bigger guards.

http://herald-review.com/high-school/stt/williams-decides-on-iowa/article_89aaa308-f3a8-50a6-bb0b-07ba4eda689d.html

Agree 100%

Upchurch qualified but SLU said he had to go to summer school. After Sumer school SLU denied him admission.

Upchurch qualified but SLU said he had to go to summer school. After Sumer school SLU denied him admission.

He had to pass the summer bridge program to gain admission. He passed, but they denied him admission anyway based on some academic's subjective evaluation that he wouldn't be able to hack it academically. He earned a degree in psychology at Houston. That destroyed Grawer's recruiting base.

That was my point. He was NCAA eligible but SLU determined he wouldn't cut it in college. Somehow he managed to stay in school at Houston and had a great career there.

http://herald-review.com/high-school/stt/williams-decides-on-iowa/article_89aaa308-f3a8-50a6-bb0b-07ba4eda689d.html[/quote

Agree and also get the quickest, toughest, defensive minded 6'4 to 6'6 forwards and get us back to the dance. Then if one or two of our projects come through we've got a team. Otherwise we're the back up plan with Northern Illinois.

Exactly. In order to build a program we have to know our limitations and fill in our team with the best possible players we cam get.

Undersized guards who can handle, play top level D and score

Undersized PFs who can score on the block and create mismatches

Stretch 4s and 5s who open up driving lanes for our small guards and post ups for our small PFs

We may have 1 max athlete who can play the wing, doesn't need to be a scorer or shooter, just an elite defender

Then we can take chances on guys who are underrecruited because of scholastics or physical deficiencies ie Willie Reed or Jon Smith.

Maybe the staff thought with the improvement of our program we could recruit for different types of players than we had before. We only had 3 years of success, we haven't really built anything yet. It took VCU how many years to start changing their recruiting strategy? What about Xavier? 10 years or so of building a program out of a certain style of player and now they have moved on to 3 and 4 star players. This staff went too fast and now it may be too late to go back. Hopefully we don't fall back into Soderberg recruiting loops but I'm afraid we are already there.

I agree with 3 star and Torch about the mistakes that were made in recruiting. Kind of funny though that last summer "everyone" on this board was thrilled with all the tall guards we recruited despite reports that they were too thin and not as skilled as guys like jordair and McCall.

I have listened to the criticism of the freshman AFTER all the praise they received in the recruiting process. I also distinctly remember some posters commenting negatively about Loe, Conklin, Jett, etc. after their first seasons. I even remember people b!tching about Lisch being too slow/unathletic to be effective. Same for Highmark.

This group of freshman has played ONE season with effectively ZERO senior leadership and minimal playing experience from other players (sophs, juniors). Just like the the posters who were ridiculing Taj for doubting our inclusion in some kid's top 144, this is the same thing. Last year, many of us (including me) bitched about playing time for the sophs. In retrospect, it got us to the tourney, but it clearly hampered development of the sophs.

Here is the bottom line: let's give these kids (remember, they're 18 to 19 year old teenagers for the most part), and their coaches, time. I never expected more than a .500 season, so maybe I am not so hurt and depressed based on this season, but I think everyone should take a step back and consider both the history of the program and the reality that SLU is not a destination school for top 100 players and THEN come to conclusions about where the program stands.

If we land a great top 100 player because someone leaves, great, but, at the end of the day, TRUST THE PROCESS.

The history is the part everyone's trying to change.

The part about not being a destination school from AF's post is right. The catch is that if we want to get where we all want, who do we think we're going to have to beat?

This team will be better...but how much is the million dollar question.

The history is the part everyone's trying to change.

The part about not being a destination school from AF's post is right. The catch is that if we want to get where we all want, who do we think we're going to have to beat?

This team will be better...but how much is the million dollar question.

Just because players are a year older doesn't make them better. This thing could continue off the rails if the appropriate adjustments aren't made by players and staff over the summer.

Just because players are a year older doesn't make them better. This thing could continue off the rails if the appropriate adjustments aren't made by players and staff over the summer.

Honestly, do you really believe that all the freshman are not going to be better after a year of D1 ball? I mean, is that an honest statement of what you truly believe?