Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol.... no way Tatum comes to SLU. As a SLU alum, I am not afraid to admit that SLU is not very exciting for a 1 and doner.

What do you mean by exciting? I would think being able to bring his home city some of the greatest success they have ever had in college basketball would be pretty exciting. Being treated as a home town hero would be exciting.

If he can help lead them to a final four, he would be remembered for his success here forever. Can't say the same thing at Duke or Kentucky.

From where I sit, JT Coming here would basically be the ultimate act of charity. That is what we are clamoring for now. This season has been a complete disaster for his recruitment.

And honestly, if he did come here....would we just keep running this offensive "system" where the guards pass the ball around the perimeter? We'd better not. We would need to shift to come kind of high post Kareem offense where JT touches it every time down and kicks to Crawford/Bartley for WIDE OPEN 3s.

Definitely a longshot, but it seems weird to say it could NEVER happen considering that not only has it already happened once, but that "once" just happened to be this particular one and doner's godfather.

Don't think that will carry much water. Most will choose the total big time college lolla palooza experience as their final fling before getting down to business in the NBA. Sadly, we don't offer that right now.

We would need to shift to come kind of high post Kareem offense where JT touches it every time down and kicks to Crawford/Bartley for WIDE OPEN 3s.

All of a sudden a guy like McBroom would be really nice to have again. They'd have to leave him open.

If we had respectable season this year, I think would have landed him. This season has been a disaster. The only way I see us landing him now is if major changes happen in the program.

Rumors floating that team is actually going to be disbanded and there will be no team in 2016 anyway.

Rumors floating that team is actually going to be disbanded and there will be no team in 2016 anyway.

So the season hasn't been a disaster? We are not going to finish last in the A10? You don't think this impacts how recruits view SLU?

This Tatum or Bust talk has been entertaining but getting Xavier Sneed would help a lot too. My concern is that by the time Tatum finally reaches a decision, Sneed will have committed elsewhere. Recruiting is a maddening juggling act. Glad I don't have to do it.

Good point. I'd absolutely love it if Tatum came to SLU, but by all accounts the rest of the area 2016 class is strong too. Even if we don't get Tatum for a year, 4 years of Snead, Cook, or another player here or outside of town could definitely be all right.

It's more like "2016 class or bust," the way I see it. We're just one of ten finalists for Tatum; we shouldn't count on him. But 2016 needs to be a very strong recruiting class. No excuses.

Crews doesn't really have a long term future here. I have a feeling next year will be his last because it just seems like to much of a stretch to expect vastly different results when the team as a whole hasn't even begun to buy in at this point. We will most likely land in the bottom half of the conference again, and at that point it is probably time for a staff change. The question is, who will we pursue for the long term? Chris May will have an immensely important task ahead of him in the next year or so...

Also, it's hard to recruit good players when they aren't even sure who the HC will be beyond the 2015-2016 season. I've supported Crews for a while now, but he just doesn't seem to have control of these players anymore...

And another note, even if Crews stays for the season after next, the question of future HC would still be lingering. Why would a good 2016 or 2017 recruit come here when they don't even know who the eventual longterm HC will be?

Crews doesn't really have a long term future here. I have a feeling next year will be his last because it just seems like to much of a stretch to expect vastly different results when the team as a whole hasn't even begun to buy in at this point. We will most likely land in the bottom half of the conference again, and at that point it is probably time for a staff change. The question is, who will we pursue for the long term? Chris May will have an immensely important task ahead of him in the next year or so...

Also, it's hard to recruit good players when they aren't even sure who the HC will be beyond the 2015-2016 season. I've supported Crews for a while now, but he just doesn't seem to have control of these players anymore...

And another note, even if Crews stays for the season after next, the question of future HC would still be lingering. Why would a good 2016 or 2017 recruit come here when they don't even know who the eventual longterm HC will be?

Believe it or not, some recruits don't make snap judgements based on one lousy season. Some high school players have been through lousy seasons themselves and know how easy it is for a team to lose its way when things aren't going their way on the court. And some of these high school players have been on teams that quickly rebounded the next season. There are even players who aren't considered desirable players right now who will emerge during the summer circuit who could help our cause.

Crews is the devil - right now, I get it. I mean, just look at the lousy results on the court by our ragtag group of freshmen and upperclass role players playing 4 on 5 every night. But what if he isn't the devil? What if simply inserting a serviceable center into the lineup next year and a summer of offseason work allows the team to play 5 on 5? What if these kids are looking for payback after getting beat on this season? I mean, it's possible, right?

Dwayne's_World, on 04 Mar 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

I thought everyone knew. SLU will replace Crews with Calbert Cheaney as head coach and repalce Cheaney with JustinTatum as assistant coach. I thought all SLU fans knew that.

Believe it or not, some recruits don't make snap judgements based on one lousy season. Some high school players have been through lousy seasons themselves and know how easy it is for a team to lose its way when things aren't going their way on the court. And some of these high school players have been on teams that quickly rebounded the next season. There are even players who aren't considered desirable players right now who will emerge during the summer circuit who could help our cause.

Crews is the devil - right now, I get it. I mean, just look at the lousy results on the court by our ragtag group of freshmen and upperclass role players playing 4 on 5 every night. But what if he isn't the devil? What if simply inserting a serviceable center into the lineup next year and a summer of offseason work allows the team to play 5 on 5? What if these kids are looking for payback after getting beat on this season? I mean, it's possible, right?

Certainly it's possible and that's our hope. However, that will be too late for Tatum who will probably sign in the fall. Our only shot at him was if we could set him up for home town hero status. To do that we would have to have a team in place that he could lead to a deep run in the tourney. Not just make the tournament, win one and go home. Why should he gamble his one year on the last place team in the A-10? If we were middle of the pack with the freshmen leading the way, I would have hope. The way things look now, I don't.

It's more like "2016 class or bust," the way I see it. We're just one of ten finalists for Tatum; we shouldn't count on him. But 2016 needs to be a very strong recruiting class. No excuses.

This.

You know I agree with you wholeheartedly on this statement.

Our performance this year really does put a damper on the Tatum chances. Hopefully, the friendships with the guys on the team (who hopefully stay a Billiken) will help overcome the poor year. But at the end of the day, does anyone honestly think that in terms of recruiting Tatum there is anything more we can do? At some point, he is going to decide whether he wants to be a hometown hero or go to a Big 5 program.

Are performance this year really does put a damper on the Tatum chances. Hopefully, the friendships with the guys on the team (who hopefully stay a Billiken) will help overcome the poor year. But at the end of the day, does anyone honestly think that in terms of recruiting Tatum there is anything more we can do? At some point, he is going to decide whether he wants to be a hometown hero or go to a Big 5 program.

This was a crucial year and we didn't deliver. Nuff said. Dead last.

Our performance this year really does put a damper on the Tatum chances. Hopefully, the friendships with the guys on the team (who hopefully stay a Billiken) will help overcome the poor year. But at the end of the day, does anyone honestly think that in terms of recruiting Tatum there is anything more we can do? At some point, he is going to decide whether he wants to be a hometown hero or go to a Big 5 program.

Our performance this year will have little to no impact on our recruitment of Tatum. Very unique situation.

Also, it's hard to recruit good players when they aren't even sure who the HC will be beyond the 2015-2016 season.

Agreed. I think the same could be said for any coach/school. I think the fact that Majerus wasn't offered an extension, plus his age/health, etc. impacted his recruiting after he had been here a couple years. The first few classes he recruited were fairly certain he would be there for the majority of their time at SLU. The later classes...not so much. Not saying there weren't other factors, but I think this one shouldn't be overlooked. Water under the bridge at this point in terms of Majerus, but this has a huge impact on recruits as you say.