Recruiting - 2016

Yea I'm curious about his at SLU "every other week" comment as well because I saw that in another interview. Does he hang out with some players like Roby and Reynolds? Or is he just referring that he travels by SLU?

I think I remember on twitter an exchange between him and Reynolds around the start of the season where he said he had Roby's number but don't feel like looking for it.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that article.

Tatum is consistently on campus either for games or playing games at the rec.

Jayson Tatum plays games at the rec? I have heard him talk about training with Drew Hanlen a lot of mornings before school (presumably at Chaminade) and with practice in the evenings, I am surprised he spends much time playing at the rec at SLU. With regards to attending games, I know he attended the game on Sunday and I think he attended another game earlier in the season, but I don't think he is regularly in attendance.

I would have to imagine when he has free time during the summer that SLU would be a logical place for him to get some pickup in with the team.

Just a hometown kid... the pull is strong. If he could just see a serviceable team where he thinks that with his help they can make a serious run in March, then I could see him coming here. If we are playing like we are currently next year, he wont come here IMO.

He's going to have to see it by playing with the guys in the off season, unless we put things together real fast. I agree with you, he needs to see that we have a cast to fit in with to make a run in the tournament. Otherwise, why come? You're not going to turn the city on unless you're a top 15 team capable of going deep in the tourney.

-that 'winning' comment in the article...

If the talented young core of this team sticks together, in two years, the supporting cast FBJT will be playing with, will be much better than the one Larry Hughes played with. If JT is as great as advertised, he should have no problem elevating SLU the way LH did. Ryan Luchtefeld was the second leading scorer on that team. :blink: Followed by Matt Banaik and Vergil Cobbin. Larry was the only double-digit scorer on the team.

If the talented young core of this team sticks together, in two years, the supporting cast FBJT will be playing with, will be much better than the one Larry Hughes played with. If JT is as great as advertised, he should have no problem elevating SLU the way LH did. Ryan Luchtefeld was the second leading scorer on that team. :blink: Followed by Matt Banaik and Vergil Cobbin. Larry was the only double-digit scorer on the team.

-it's not what we see, it's what FBJT sees or what the staff can make him believe

Duke.

duke does scare me, because tatum seems to be a very white black guy. i think there's a very real upside to staying home, though. you can be the best billiken EVER, still go to the tournament, still go top 5 in the draft, or be like the 35th best guy to ever go to duke, UK, KU, etc., definitely compete for a national championship, but also compete to even be the best guy on your team.

i think it would be so hard to go from being THE MAN to being just another guy on the bench, until i was getting paid for it (NBA), at least.

duke does scare me, because tatum seems to be a very white black guy. i think there's a very real upside to staying home, though. you can be the best billiken EVER, still go to the tournament, still go top 5 in the draft, or be like the 35th best guy to ever go to duke, UK, KU, etc., definitely compete for a national championship, but also compete to even be the best guy on your team.

i think it would be so hard to go from being THE MAN to being just another guy on the bench, until i was getting paid for it (NBA), at least.

If he goes to Duke, he will have to worry about getting by Mercer first before he even thinks about competing for a national championship.

-it's not what we see, it's what FBJT sees or what the staff can make him believe

Godfather Larry should challenge FBJT - tell him that he was able to lead a collection of mediocrity (RL, VC & MB) into the second round of the Big Dance. Can FBJT top that? Larry got to showcase all of his skills during his one year at SLU. Definitely didn't have to play in a platoon system. It was Larry getting all the PT he wanted and getting a LOT of shots.

Godfather Larry should challenge FBJT - tell him that he was able to lead a collection of mediocrity (RL, VC & MB) into the second round of the Big Dance. Can FBJT top that? Larry got to showcase all of his skills during his one year at SLU. Definitely didn't have to play in a platoon system. It was Larry getting all the PT he wanted and getting a LOT of shots.

-I don't know the depth of the relationship between the two of them but I would like The Legend to be promoting SLU if FBJT is asking and perhaps even if he isn't

-FBJT is scheduled to be at Duke this weekend, maybe the roof will leak in Cameron or the trough pissers won't be to his liking, if he has to mingle (or dangle) with the commoners

-I don't know the depth of the relationship between the two of them but I would like The Legend to be promoting SLU if FBJT is asking and perhaps even if he isn't

-FBJT is scheduled to be at Duke this weekend, maybe the roof will leak in Cameron or the trough pissers won't be to his liking, if he has to mingle (or dangle) with the commoners

I believe Hughes is Tatum's godfather right?

I think Hughes is promoting SLU to him. There was the instagram picture a month or so ago he sent to him of the retired SLU jersey's asking like "what are we gonna do now." He tweeted at him after he was first ranked #1 in 2016 telling him congrats and hash tagging it OhyeaSLU. I also remember after Ben tweeted Jayson had an offer from like Florida or some big school a couple years ago, Larry replied to him saying he hear is going to go to SLU, return of the home town kids.

Those are just a few things I have seen publicly but I'm sure he's pushing SLU but I also have no idea how often they talk other than those types of things. Larry still seems very proud of the fact he went there. He wasn't at the 100 ceremony but instagramed a couple pics the day selections were made and another one the day of saying thanks and wish he could've been there.

I know it doesn't matter, but how were we not among the first to recruit and offer Jayson?

Did they offer you when you were in eighth grade?
No, SLU didn't offer me until the end of ninth grade.
Were they one of the first to get on-board?
No, they were one of the last.

Because they draw the line at offering kids in junior high school?

I know it doesn't matter, but how were we not among the first to recruit and offer Jayson?

Did they offer you when you were in eighth grade?
No, SLU didn't offer me until the end of ninth grade.
Were they one of the first to get on-board?
No, they were one of the last.

Wouldn't that be right around Majerus sickness? His freshmen year in high school was 12-13 right? So 11-12 was 8th grade which was Majerus and I am not sure how much recruiting of 8th graders he did (or even if he would have went after him as hard considering he will be a one and done).

I have heard Crews say before they didn't recruit much his first year during the season (year of Majerus death in December) because he wanted focus to be on players and dealing with the Majerus death so that would be the 12-13 year. They got on him right after that (end of freshmen year or 9th grade).

I think Hughes is promoting SLU to him. There was the instagram picture a month or so ago he sent to him of the retired SLU jersey's asking like "what are we gonna do now." He tweeted at him after he was first ranked #1 in 2016 telling him congrats and hash tagging it OhyeaSLU. I also remember after Ben tweeted Jayson had an offer from like Florida or some big school a couple years ago, Larry replied to him saying he hear is going to go to SLU, return of the home town kids.

Those are just a few things I have seen publicly but I'm sure he's pushing SLU but I also have no idea how often they talk other than those types of things. Larry still seems very proud of the fact he went there. He wasn't at the 100 ceremony but instagramed a couple pics the day selections were made and another one the day of saying thanks and wish he could've been there.

-okay

-FBJT