Recruiting - 2016

Obviously this season can hurt with our other recruits but I agree that the effect is minimal for Tatum. If he wants to have the best chance to win it all, he wouldn't be coming here whether we were 25-5 or 11-19.

It is not about the chance to win it all, but he has got to believe he has a chance to play on a good nondysfunctional team.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not about the chance to win it all, but he has got to believe he has a chance to play on a good nondysfunctional team.

Exactly... if I am a top 3 recruit, I would be looking at our current roster and worried that the team might actually hurt my draft pick. Tatum may be all about being the hometown hero, not give two craps about winning it all in the tournament, but I have to believe that he is thinking about his draft pick. Do we have a team that can compliment him? Do we have a point guard that can consistently get him the ball? Tatum cant take on 5 guys by himself. Just a thought...

okay, maybe I really underestimate his abilities. 1v5 sounds good to me.

Lol. +1

He is not going to come in here at throw it off the backboard to himself every time down the court.

If you look at a team like Boise St, they have one volume scoring guard (Marks) and the rest of the team keeps their man in front of them on defense and can hit an open jumper. That is the blueprint for us and should reflect in our recruiting.

This year has made me realize that the ability of a guard to keep his man in front of him on defense is one of the best qualities contributing to a win.

McCall, Jett, KM and even JB to certain extent were experts at it and man did I take that skill for granted.

We cant stay in front of anyone this year.

Exactly... if I am a top 3 recruit, I would be looking at our current roster and worried that the team might actually hurt my draft pick. Tatum may be all about being the hometown hero, not give two craps about winning it all in the tournament, but I have to believe that he is thinking about his draft pick. Do we have a team that can compliment him? Do we have a point guard that can consistently get him the ball? Tatum cant take on 5 guys by himself. Just a thought...

People forget how weak Larry Hughes' supporting cast was.

Which is why I think his quote of him being at SLU "every other week" is very interesting. If this spring/summer, he heads down and just plays some pick up games with our current freshmen, then he will know if he can play with them. And that's all that matters is if he thinks it's a good fit playing with those guys. He will most likely make his decision before we even know how improved these guys will be next year, but the fact he has said a couple times he is down at SLU every other week leads me to believe there is a chance he may have a good idea.

Should Crews/the staff be criticized if we don't get Tatum? I mean a school like SLU shouldn't be getting a top 3 recruit, but given the very unique circumstances SLU has more than a legit shot.

I really don't know the answer to that question. I see both sides.

Should Crews/the staff be criticized if we don't get Tatum? I mean a school like SLU shouldn't be getting a top 3 recruit, but given the very unique circumstances SLU has more than a legit shot.

I really don't know the answer to that question. I see both sides.

No, but he should be criticized if he doesn't bring in a decent recruiting class. I don't think we have a realistic shot at Tatum. Assuming he signs in the fall, the quality of his surrounding cast will be nothing but question marks. Why would Tatum gamble his one year of college ball on that? Why not go some place where you have a shot at going all the way, play on national television every week and have some fun. If we had a good team and adding him would give us a shot at going deep in the tournament, I think we would have a chance. We don't have that, unless he brings his own cast with him. I don't see that happening.

No, but he should be criticized if he doesn't bring in a decent recruiting class. I don't think we have a realistic shot at Tatum. Assuming he signs in the fall, the quality of his surrounding cast will be nothing but question marks. Why would Tatum gamble his one year of college ball on that? Why not go some place where you have a shot at going all the way, play on national television every week and have some fun. If we had a good team and adding him would give us a shot at going deep in the tournament, I think we would have a chance. We don't have that, unless he brings his own cast with him. I don't see that happening.

I think the key to Tatum and SLU is who else joins him in the 16 class. He knows if he chooses UK, KU, Duke he's going to playing with a lot of future NBA players. Now while it's unrealistic that we can suddenly bring in 2 or 3 four Mickey D all Americans in 2016, he'd probably like to see players of a higher level than we currently have on the roster. If we don't show him this, he's likely not coming to SLU.

Kmbilliken you are saying what you would do if you were JT. Only JT can determine what JT will do. Let us say that there are goals in life that are not limited to the NBA and money, you cannot determine a priori what among many choices is most important for JT, you can only say what is most important for you (the NBA and money of course).

Agreed. I think the same could be said for any coach/school. I think the fact that Majerus wasn't offered an extension, plus his age/health, etc. impacted his recruiting after he had been here a couple years. The first few classes he recruited were fairly certain he would be there for the majority of their time at SLU. The later classes...not so much. Not saying there weren't other factors, but I think this one shouldn't be overlooked. Water under the bridge at this point in terms of Majerus, but this has a huge impact on recruits as you say.

Absolutely.

Huge.

This hurt us much, much more, IMO, than most realize.

Cook had a very impressive game today against North. The kid is tough.

Owens from McLuer North played very well defensively. Cook broke out though and had some nasty dunks. The one where he backed down Owens and drop stepped tomahawked it was sick. He surprised me with his athleticism today.

Xavier Sneed visited Creighton this past weekend. Two 2015 Creighton commits were also visiting. Creighton offered a couple months ago and Illinois offered about two weeks ago. Other offers include SLU, Cincinnati, K-State, Xavier, Minnesota, and Mizzou. Not sure how fresh all of them are, but Creighton, Illinois, Mizzou, and SLU are all definitely still on the table. Hazelwood Central takes on Fort Zumwalt South on Wednesday at 6:00 in a Missouri Class 5 Sectional game at St. Charles West HS.

Tatum, Cook & Co. are taking on Lafayette right now. CCP is up 29-14 in the 2nd quarter. They're on a really long run that started in the 1st, and Lafayette hasn't scored yet this quarter. Tatum, Cook, and Hellems are getting to the rim really easily. Hellems will be a 2018 player to keep an eye on.

72-40, final. Chaminade rested Tatum and the starters in the fourth and enjoyed a running clock.

Tatum and Cook would both look great in SLU blue. I wonder if Gladson can return to 100% and be an A10-level player. He's still slow but he's a nice player for a HS big. Good frame, good positioning.