Recruiting - 2013

Yes.

Let me ask you, NH and others this: Do you remember any time with RM when we were waiting like this? I really don't. For instance, we have two (2) open scholarships and yet no signings. JC said he expected two (2) signings approx two (2) weeks ago so we probably lost that one Quite possibly that guy was RO.

In fact, RM missed out on alot of requits in the Spring. In fact, I truly wished (and stated this on a number of occasions) that RM had brought in more JUCOs and transfers to rebuild sooner than later. And don't forget, we lost Harrelson to Kentucky and alot of JUCOs and transfers to all kinds of programs (not just those "better" than us). In fact, I believe we lost a JUCO to Duquesne. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that RM did give kids deadlines and that RM did pull scholarships early - including kids who might have actually selected SLU. RM was not going to come in second place. Was this good for SLU? Maybe, maybe not. It was, however, RM's way and recruiting was very good under RM.

Should JC do the same? Maybe, maybe not. Why do I say this? Because RM was RM - a very unique HOF coach. IMO, JC should not be compared to RM just like any other SLU head coach (had we not selected JC) should be compared to RM. Just like RM lost out on a number of recruits, JC also will lose out on a number of them -- quite probably more. Because JC is not RM, maybe it is best to hold out hope and hope we get RO and Tanner. If we come in second place, quite probably JC will say he tried and did his best. Maybe there are not enough plan B, C and D kids out there.

I'm confused should be compare or not compare JC to RM?

Anyway, I'm not really sure just like you're not really sure that Coach Majerus gave deadlines. He didn't let us in on his strategy. It appeared that he had back up plans and moved on quickly. So far this coaching staff seems to have the same strategy (see Djambo situation) they maybe giving out deadlines. I'm happy so far with what we've seen. We maybe privy to more information now due to an increased focus on our program due to winning, more open staff (to media/insiders 25K+) and the increasing popularity of twitter, which the general population uses to take photos of their meals (Bonwich wannabes) but basketball players use to chronicle their recruitment.

Biggest hole this team had was a PF rebounder- filled

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If any guards we are recruiting can not beat out JB then do we really want them? RM must have done something with regards to deadlines or whatever, he would not sit around and wait for anybody. Now can JC do this - brings back to the question - Ground Hog Day again

You expect a spring signing freshman to beat out a 5th year senior that played 15 minutes per game the previous season for the 16th best team in the country I'd suggest your expectations are too high.

You expect a spring signing freshman to beat out a 5th year senior that played 15 minutes per game the previous season for the 16th best team in the country I'd suggest your expectations are too high.

Agreed on this point. The guys we get may be more "talented" than JB but when you add up experience in the system, maturity, and the "been-there-done-that" factor in terms of playing in pressure games, it would be hard for one of these guard recruits to get more minutes than JB.

I just don't see the depth at the guard position that should be used as a reason for a combo guard like Randy O. to look elsewhere. We have 4 guards on scholarship. Two of them are starter/all-conference caliber players while the other is a transfer that due to size is likely limited to the point guard position and a 5th year senior that due to limitations is likely more of a small forward. I think looking at the depth at guard, Randy would have a chance to compete for minutes as a freshman. His size and versatility is something we don't have outside of Jordair and McCall at the guard position.

When a kid comes in and says I want to play right away, what's the response?

I think the best response is everyone here has an equal shot at playing time. We play whoever will give us the best opportunity to win.

If a player can't live with that, do we want him?

My response: "We have a heck of a backcourt, but if you earn it, you will find minutes."

I'm not disagreeing with your approach. All I was saying is that it will be much easier for him to get major minutes at a place like Seton Hall or Miami (Oh) as opposed to SLU.

I'm not saying Crews told Onwuasor he can't play right away. Rather, it will just be much more difficult here as opposed to a lesser school.

Yes.

Let me ask you, NH and others this: Do you remember any time with RM when we were waiting like this? I really don't. For instance, we have two (2) open scholarships and yet no signings. JC said he expected two (2) signings approx two (2) weeks ago so we probably lost that one Quite possibly that guy was RO.

In fact, RM missed out on alot of requits in the Spring. In fact, I truly wished (and stated this on a number of occasions) that RM had brought in more JUCOs and transfers to rebuild sooner than later. And don't forget, we lost Harrelson to Kentucky and alot of JUCOs and transfers to all kinds of programs (not just those "better" than us). In fact, I believe we lost a JUCO to Duquesne. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that RM did give kids deadlines and that RM did pull scholarships early - including kids who might have actually selected SLU. RM was not going to come in second place. Was this good for SLU? Maybe, maybe not. It was, however, RM's way and recruiting was very good under RM.

Should JC do the same? Maybe, maybe not. Why do I say this? Because RM was RM - a very unique HOF coach. IMO, JC should not be compared to RM just like any other SLU head coach (had we not selected JC) should be compared to RM. Just like RM lost out on a number of recruits, JC also will lose out on a number of them -- quite probably more. Because JC is not RM, maybe it is best to hold out hope and hope we get RO and Tanner. If we come in second place, quite probably JC will say he tried and did his best. Maybe there are not enough plan B, C and D kids out there.

Did RM wait in a situation like this? I'm not sure. Maybe the Barry Eberhardt time period? Regardless I would say that the two situations are incomparable because RM was never in quite the same situation. Crews is getting such a late true start on these guys that he almost doesn't have an option but to wait on some of the people. There's simply no one to move on to. Like you said, there might not be enough plan Bs out there. Look at Strawberry and Jolly, both visited and the staff clearly was looking into them. But neither player was talented enough to garner a scholarship. I'm confident that if Strawberry were good enough, he would've gotten an offer and probably committed. But there's no point moving to a plan B if you haven't found that kid yet.

My response: "We have a heck of a backcourt, but if you earn it, you will find minutes."

I'm not disagreeing with your approach. All I was saying is that it will be much easier for him to get major minutes at a place like Seton Hall or Miami (Oh) as opposed to SLU.

I'm not saying Crews told Onwuasor he can't play right away. Rather, it will just be much more difficult here as opposed to a lesser school.

That is true, we certainly cannot with any credibility tell a guard recruit that he will step in and start from day #1 nor expect to be handed significant minutes.

RM "starting is for high school" will turn any recuit off. However, if they study the Bills and especially

Cody Ellis he hardly ever came in before the first

Time out, free throw, or whatever. In his particular case he came in revved up when the starters were calming down. JJ, MM, JB may all be back but there will be plenty of guard minutes we pretty

Much were a three guard team a lot of time no way RA and RL can go more than 25 minutes I can see DE going 35

Did RM wait in a situation like this? I'm not sure. Maybe the Barry Eberhardt time period? Regardless I would say that the two situations are incomparable because RM was never in quite the same situation. Crews is getting such a late true start on these guys that he almost doesn't have an option but to wait on some of the people. There's simply no one to move on to. Like you said, there might not be enough plan Bs out there. Look at Strawberry and Jolly, both visited and the staff clearly was looking into them. But neither player was talented enough to garner a scholarship. I'm confident that if Strawberry were good enough, he would've gotten an offer and probably committed. But there's no point moving to a plan B if you haven't found that kid yet.

Late start?? How do you figure?? JC has been the interim coach all year!! Are you not giving credit to JC for Crawford who signed in the Fall? I am. Are you not giving JC credit for RA who committed to SLU before JC was announced permanent coach? I am. Are you not giving JC (and staff) credit for all their hard work recruiting all year? I am. Or are you beginning only with the press conference which confirmed everything??

That is true, we certainly cannot with any credibility tell a guard recruit that he will step in and start from day #1 nor expect to be handed significant minutes.

I get that kids want to play right away, but it concerns me a little that a kid would come in and seem to "demand" to play without really earning the minutes. Is that a sign for concern or am I being too critical?

At this point, I think you (and others) are just finding things to b!tch about when it comes to JC. Each recruiting season is different. Can we at least wait until JC has a full recruiting season to blow before we blame him for things?

Moy. More reading comprehension problems? Or do you just feel like spilling your agenda no matter what is typed? Either way, you come across foolish.

I am not starting a topic to ***** about JC. In fact, my posts and approach are the opposite. I believe, and I believe others should as well, we should back off and see what JC does and does not do. Whether JC signs no one else, 1 more or 2 more kids, we should still wait to see how they turn out. For you and others, though, to forget how RM did things and then to infer that JC is doing the same thing is plain wrong. Also wrong is for you to take my post pointing this out as a ***** about JC. Good stuff!!

I get that kids want to play right away, but it concerns me a little that a kid would come in and seem to "demand" to play without really earning the minutes. Is that a sign for concern or am I being too critical?

I figure every recruit is going to want minutes right out of the gate. I think I'd be more concerned if the opposite were true.

Would you question a kid who said "I don't mind if I don't play much right away?"

Late start?? How do you figure?? JC has been the interim coach all year!! Are you not giving credit to JC for Crawford who signed in the Fall? I am. Are you not giving JC credit for RA who committed to SLU before JC was announced permanent coach? I am. Are you not giving JC (and staff) credit for all their hard work recruiting all year? I am. Or are you beginning only with the press conference which confirmed everything??

If you think the focus/ability was on recruiting as much at the beginning of the season as it is now you're fooling yourself.

This is somewhat off of the topic, but what are the chances that this thread will grow to 100 pages? What's the over/under? Moreover, what are the odds that, 6 to 18 months after this thread finally stops being bumped, stlhoopsinsider/stlsfinest will add a post pertaining to some local recruit who's been mentioned in one of the earlier pages, and some unsuspecting board reader will read through all of the pages of old posts because they didn't realize it is an old topic?

[Just another dead horse to beat.]

This is somewhat off of the topic, but what are the chances that this thread will grow to 100 pages? What's the over/under? Moreover, what are the odds that, 6 to 18 months after this thread finally stops being bumped, stlhoopsinsider/stlsfinest will add a post pertaining to some local recruit who's been mentioned in one of the earlier pages, and some unsuspecting board reader will read through all of the pages of old posts because they didn't realize it is an old topic?

[Just another dead horse to beat.]

Depends on how quickly we fill the last two scholarships. I was thinking about starting another thread for the class of 2014, which I'll start researching more when this signing period ends. But the idea of 100 is tempting, even if we're all set for 2013 recruiting by page 95.

Moy. More reading comprehension problems? Or do you just feel like spilling your agenda no matter what is typed? Either way, you come across foolish.

I am not starting a topic to ***** about JC. In fact, my posts and approach are the opposite. I believe, and I believe others should as well, we should back off and see what JC does and does not do. Whether JC signs no one else, 1 more or 2 more kids, we should still wait to see how they turn out. For you and others, though, to forget how RM did things and then to infer that JC is doing the same thing is plain wrong. Also wrong is for you to take my post pointing this out as a ***** about JC. Good stuff!!

What is foolish is for you to assert that you know how RM did things and how it went down exactly, especially as it relates to spring recruiting. Even more foolish is your assumption that JC isn't following the same plan as RM. I'm guessing you, like me, have no clue as to JC's recruiting strategy. The difference between you and I is that I'm waiting for the whole story to unfold whereas you are ready to declare that JC is allowing the recruits to control everything and essentially declare his method a failure. It may or may not be, but I'll let it play out first.

You realize that this Lancona kid has only been available to be recruited for about 10 days, yet you want to cut bait. That's a solid strategy. And why would we tell RO to sh1t or get off the pot? It's obvious that the staff can both court RO and continue recruiting other players. If there is no solid alternate recruit to RO, then giving him an ultimatum is stupid.

I figure every recruit is going to want minutes right out of the gate. I think I'd be more concerned if the opposite were true.

Would you question a kid who said "I don't mind if I don't play much right away?"

My point of concern is not a kid who wants to play right away, but a kid who expects to play right away and if he doesn't (even if he hasn't earned it) will leave - Carter seems to be a potential example. If a kid says, "I only want to go where I will play right away" that tells me that he doesn't necessarily think he needs to earn it - he just expects it by virtue of being recruited.

And, yes, of course every kid wants to play right away - I think that is the point of going to college on a basketball scholarship.

Kinda seemed to me that you were b*tching about Crews taking too much time and not having fall back plans. I could post my SAT scores to validate my reading comprehension levels if anyone is doubting me.

Depends on how quickly we fill the last two scholarships. I was thinking about starting another thread for the class of 2014, which I'll start researching more when this signing period ends. But the idea of 100 is tempting, even if we're all set for 2013 recruiting by page 95.

I was thinking about suggesting a new thread for the class of 2014. As fun as it would be to get this one over 100 pages, it is getting a little out of control and I think a fresh start for the next class would be good. Hopefully Randy O and Tanner both sign tomorrow, everyone gets excited and posts a bunch in this thread bumping it over 100 and then we can end the madness.