Recruiting - 2013

Is everyone guessing we didn't offer Strawberry because we're holding out for RO? Same w/Santilli, or did we offer him? We are shaky at guard after the 13-14 season. Pretty critical we land at least one serviceable guard this spring.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we're waiting to move on. I think the staff will offer anyone it deems talented enough to play here, those guys are just harder to find this time of year.

I can't imagine RM would've handled the situation any differently.

I feel good about Lancona. I would be shocked if SLU landed Onwuasor.

Just based on the past week, I can understand this sentiment. But I don't think either Miami-Ohio or Seton Hall have a true edge over SLU with Onwuasor. I think we all have a pretty equal shot, unless he decides not to visit Seton Hall. If I were betting, I'd say the odds are 5:2 for each SLU and Miami, and 5:1 for Hall/Utah, if he ends up visiting either.

For Lancona, he clearly had a great visit and is only visiting one more of his top four. I wish he were visiting Colorado State or BYU instead of K-State, only because I can never overlook a BCS athletic program's ability to pull out all the stops, as Clemson did with Djambo.

We're still very much in play for both.

I feel good about Lancona. I would be shocked if SLU landed Onwuasor.

Is your thought on Onwuasor due to his upcoming visits or is it something about SLU?

Is your thought on Onwuasor due to his upcoming visits or is it something about SLU?

A couple of thoughts. First, Onwuasor has made it clear (in an interview with BWeix, I believe) that he wants to come and play right away. That isn't really an option at SLU, but would be for either Seton Hall or Miami (OH). Secondly, he seems to be adding schools (e.g. Seton Hall & Pitt) rather than focusing on the schools who have been recruiting him for a while (SLU). Third, he's had plenty of opportunities to commit to SLU since his official visit and hasn't pulled the trigger.

For the record, I don't have any inside information on his recruitment. SLU could have promised the keys to the program his sophomore year, but if he wants to be "The Man" right away then SLU is not a good fit for him.

Hope I'm wrong!

Clock, are you saying RM would have cut it off w/ RO by now. Like telling him, this is the last call, Randy, you either commit now or good luck elsewhere?

Yes.

Let me ask you, NH and others this: Do you remember any time with RM when we were waiting like this? I really don't. For instance, we have two (2) open scholarships and yet no signings. JC said he expected two (2) signings approx two (2) weeks ago so we probably lost that one Quite possibly that guy was RO.

In fact, RM missed out on alot of requits in the Spring. In fact, I truly wished (and stated this on a number of occasions) that RM had brought in more JUCOs and transfers to rebuild sooner than later. And don't forget, we lost Harrelson to Kentucky and alot of JUCOs and transfers to all kinds of programs (not just those "better" than us). In fact, I believe we lost a JUCO to Duquesne. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that RM did give kids deadlines and that RM did pull scholarships early - including kids who might have actually selected SLU. RM was not going to come in second place. Was this good for SLU? Maybe, maybe not. It was, however, RM's way and recruiting was very good under RM.

Should JC do the same? Maybe, maybe not. Why do I say this? Because RM was RM - a very unique HOF coach. IMO, JC should not be compared to RM just like any other SLU head coach (had we not selected JC) should be compared to RM. Just like RM lost out on a number of recruits, JC also will lose out on a number of them -- quite probably more. Because JC is not RM, maybe it is best to hold out hope and hope we get RO and Tanner. If we come in second place, quite probably JC will say he tried and did his best. Maybe there are not enough plan B, C and D kids out there.

You're right. It's probable that a relatively unheralded (until this Spring) recruit will beat out Mike McCall, Jordair Jett, Jake Barnett, and Austin McBroom for guard minutes.

That is not exactly a stacked depth chart there. Obviously Mike McCall and Jordair Jett are big time players and will play significant minutes, but Barnett has not shown the ability to be a significant contributor leading up to his senior season (nice hustle player and team first guy) and I am not sure what to expect from Austin McBroom (although at 5'9, 165 he is likely limited as to the versatility he can provide). This would give a kid like Randy Onwuasor with good size and strength for a guard the chance to come in and compete for minutes from day #1.

That is not exactly a stacked depth chart there. Obviously Mike McCall and Jordair Jett are big time players and will play significant minutes, but Barnett has not shown the ability to be a significant contributor leading up to his senior season (nice hustle player and team first guy) and I am not sure what to expect from Austin McBroom (although at 5'9, 165 he is likely limited as to the versatility he can provide). This would give a kid like Randy Onwuasor with good size and strength for a guard the chance to come in and compete for minutes from day #1.

You could be right. However, I'm not sure I agree with the bolded statements. Barnett definitely improved last year and I would expect him to keep improving. McBroom was the Freshman of the Year in his conference and had a year to familiarize himself with system. I'd expect him to be better than Onwuasor.

All I'm saying is that the opportunity to play from Day 1 is much greater at either Miami (OH), who is terrible, and Seton Hall, who can't keep people on the team.

If any guards we are recruiting can not beat out JB then do we really want them? RM must have done something with regards to deadlines or whatever, he would not sit around and wait for anybody. Now can JC do this - brings back to the question - Ground Hog Day again

Yes.

Let me ask you, NH and others this: Do you remember any time with RM when we were waiting like this? I really don't. For instance, we have two (2) open scholarships and yet no signings. JC said he expected two (2) signings approx two (2) weeks ago so we probably lost that one Quite possibly that guy was RO.

In fact, RM missed out on alot of requits in the Spring. In fact, I truly wished (and stated this on a number of occasions) that RM had brought in more JUCOs and transfers to rebuild sooner than later. And don't forget, we lost Harrelson to Kentucky and alot of JUCOs and transfers to all kinds of programs (not just those "better" than us). In fact, I believe we lost a JUCO to Duquesne. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that RM did give kids deadlines and that RM did pull scholarships early - including kids who might have actually selected SLU. RM was not going to come in second place. Was this good for SLU? Maybe, maybe not. It was, however, RM's way and recruiting was very good under RM.

Should JC do the same? Maybe, maybe not. Why do I say this? Because RM was RM - a very unique HOF coach. IMO, JC should not be compared to RM just like any other SLU head coach (had we not selected JC) should be compared to RM. Just like RM lost out on a number of recruits, JC also will lose out on a number of them -- quite probably more. Because JC is not RM, maybe it is best to hold out hope and hope we get RO and Tanner. If we come in second place, quite probably JC will say he tried and did his best. Maybe there are not enough plan B, C and D kids out there.

At this point, I think you (and others) are just finding things to b!tch about when it comes to JC. Each recruiting season is different. Can we at least wait until JC has a full recruiting season to blow before we blame him for things?

Don't disagree w/ above and JB really is a sub for DE, w/o the inside game. JB's a good rebounder, steady defender, decent handles, and occassionally can hit the 3. If anything, he may lose minutes to Crawford if Crawford shows he can hit the 3 better. McBroom was an RM recruit, therefore, I'm pretty much sold that he will get minutes. That said, the minutes are there for the taking behind MM and JJ. We both know they can't go 40mpg, so I'd say there will be 15-20 a game for anyone who puts in the work. I really think if RO's thinking this thru and it's between us and MofO, he'd come here. If MofO is that thin on players there will be no one for him to lean on other than the staff. Here he'll have JJ and MM to do a little mentoring and the pressure won't be so intense. If he chooses MofO and he's supposed to be the man from day 1, well it's likely that won't happen. He'll make mistakes and have no one to fall back on. It's not like he's a one and done talent, ie the Legend. Also, in his soph year, he gets the minutes after a season of seasoning w/ MM and JJ.

Obviously, though, 18 year olds don't use the above logic. Stars in their eyes or a case of their eyes are bigger than their stomach if you will.

If any guards we are recruiting can not beat out JB then do we really want them? RM must have done something with regards to deadlines or whatever, he would not sit around and wait for anybody. Now can JC do this - brings back to the question - Ground Hog Day again

No. I'd rather save the scholarships. That would be Ground Hog Day.

Jake Barnett was a serviceable 8/9/10 man last year. If you're expecting a late Spring signee (outside of the Top 100) to make an immediate impact greater than Barnett you are going to be disappointed. Did we really want Jared Drew because he red-shirted last year? Not sure I follow your logic.

BTW, RickMa missed on a ton of recruits. Will Clyburn, Josh Harrellson, etc.

This is just getting stupid now. JB wasn't an all-conference player last year, but did a lot of good things. Just because a freshman can't beat out a seasoned upperclassman doesn't mean the freshman is a bum.

How do you know RM wouldn't sit around and wait for anybody?

Again, can we at least let this play out before we essentially bash JC for not being RM? Good grief.

At this point, I think you (and others) are just finding things to b!tch about when it comes to JC. Each recruiting season is different. Can we at least wait until JC has a full recruiting season to blow before we blame him for things?

Agreed.

Frankly, we have had a few late signees in the past few seasons. Some of note are:

Jordair Jett - 5/1/2010

Jake Barnett - 5/9/2010

Grandy Glaze - 6/9/2011

Austin McBroom - 6/7/2012

Today is 4/29. Let's let this thing play out before discussing how Crews may or may not have screwed up this recruiting session.

A couple of thoughts. First, Onwuasor has made it clear (in an interview with BWeix, I believe) that he wants to come and play right away. That isn't really an option at SLU, but would be for either Seton Hall or Miami (OH).

When a kid comes in and says I want to play right away, what's the response?

I think the best response is everyone here has an equal shot at playing time. We play whoever will give us the best opportunity to win.

If a player can't live with that, do we want him?

I wasn't knocking JC, Moy. Just saying that RM seemed to handle his recruiting a little differently. My guess is RM's thoughts were, "hey, if you don't want to come and learn under a proven savant, too bad. I'm moving on 'cause I'm not wasting time on some prima donna 18 year old."

Agree it's way too early to pass judgement on JC's recruiting ability. One other thing, I wish Harriman was still the AC. He seems to me the type that has a lot of charisma and can relate to this generation. But again, let's wait and see JC's body of work before we start crying in our beer and moaning, "Oh, jeez, a taller version of Uncle Brad."

Also, Crawford and Reggie seem to indicate he's off to a good start. If we get the Lancona kid, better yet. Then over the summer and fall he can land us some guards, because, God knows, we're gonna need 'em.

I wasn't knocking JC, Moy. Just saying that RM seemed to handle his recruiting a little differently. My guess is RM's thoughts were, "hey, if you don't want to come and learn under a proven savant, too bad. I'm moving on 'cause I'm not wasting time on some prima donna 18 year old."

Agree it's way too early to pass judgement on JC's recruiting ability. One other thing, I wish Harriman was still the AC. He seems to me the type that has a lot of charisma and can relate to this generation. But again, let's wait and see JC's body of work before we start crying in our beer and moaning, "Oh, jeez, a taller version of Uncle Brad."

Also, Crawford and Reggie seem to indicate he's off to a good start. If we get the Lancona kid, better yet. Then over the summer and fall he can land us some guards, because, God knows, we're gonna need 'em.

No worries, that post was directed more at cheese and clock. Not you.

I don't know that I'd say it's probable that RO would come in and earn immediate big minutes. However, I'd never tell a recruit he probably wouldn't start as a freshman. Hell, I'd never even hint at it. It's really this simple ... every minute of every game is up for grabs at all times. If you want to start from opening day just be the best player at your position on opening day. It's up to you how much you play. We're not going to guarantee or give you anything, but I don't think you're the type of player that would want that anyway would you? Do you feel you could be good enough to start or earn major minutes early in your freshman year? Then you go on to let him know that at schools where minutes are easily just handed to freshman, you'll probably find that those schools don't play in the post season often. Why do top 10 recruits keep signing with KY even though there are already top 10 players there? Why? Because they believe in themselves and they want to compete. Competition isn't just games, improvement isn't generally made during games. The players that end up the best are the players that have to compete every day at practice and work hard to improve and keep their spot, every practice, every season. I'd ask Randy ... What kind of player are you?