Recruiting - 2013

FWIW, Daishon Knight just retweeted a tweet saying he will be announcing tomorrow.

He is not someone we really expect to come to SLU, right? I was thinking that he had gone a different direction.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Lancona signs but, if he dos not just think about this. Washington State was not all that good last year. So why would a team that needs help release a player they already signed if he was any good? Maybe we are over estimating Lancona just a bit. Is he as good as we think? If he signs with us I hope he is.

He is not someone we really expect to come to SLU, right? I was thinking that he had gone a different direction.

He says he's down to three and has a favorite. I know Murray State and Illinois State are two, not 100% sure about the third.

Ben Weixlmann ‏@BWeixScout 1m
2013 #SLU recruit Tanner Lancona is heading on another visit -- Colorado State.
Ben Weixlmann ‏@BWeixScout 3m
According to @scott_chihoops, 2016 phenom Jayson Tatum was offered by Kentucky today. #BBN

I had a feeling Lancona might squeeze one more in before May 5th, and that CSU would be it. Nothing to sweat, though- this seemed like their hope from the start. BYU is the one that should be sweating that announcement, not us.

As for Tatum, he'll get offers from everyone. We have two advantages, as the only local program and the only one so far willing to recruit all three of the big freshmen at Chaminade. Most others only want Tatum, or Tatum and Gladson.

I had a feeling Lancona might squeeze one more in before May 5th, and that CSU would be it. Nothing to sweat, though- this seemed like their hope from the start. BYU is the one that should be sweating that announcement, not us.

As for Tatum, he'll get offers from everyone. We have two advantages, as the only local program and the only one so far willing to recruit all three of the big freshmen at Chaminade. Most others only want Tatum, or Tatum and Gladson.

I would put the chance of Tatum ever playing for SLU at < 1%. Yet, we will all be crushed when he picks Kentucky.

I would put the chance of Tatum ever playing for SLU at < 1%. Yet, we will all be crushed when he picks Kentucky.

Tough to recruit against the big boys...but as this program gets better and better, those are the battles we'll face.

Coming from someone who was ticked off that we lost Brad Beal to Florida, I'm trying to mellow on the recruiting front.

If you think the focus/ability was on recruiting as much at the beginning of the season as it is now you're fooling yourself.

So you are taking your dumb statement about JC getting a "late start" back?? Even you now realize that JC has, in fact, been recruiting all year? BTW, JC received two (2) commitments while interim coach and none, so far, as the permanent coach.

And no, JC's focus has been on recruiting all year -- hence the Crawford signing. Not sure what you mean about ability though.

What is foolish is for you to assert that you know how RM did things and how it went down exactly, especially as it relates to spring recruiting. Even more foolish is your assumption that JC isn't following the same plan as RM. I'm guessing you, like me, have no clue as to JC's recruiting strategy. The difference between you and I is that I'm waiting for the whole story to unfold whereas you are ready to declare that JC is allowing the recruits to control everything and essentially declare his method a failure. It may or may not be, but I'll let it play out first.

You realize that this Lancona kid has only been available to be recruited for about 10 days, yet you want to cut bait. That's a solid strategy. And why would we tell RO to sh1t or get off the pot? It's obvious that the staff can both court RO and continue recruiting other players. If there is no solid alternate recruit to RO, then giving him an ultimatum is stupid.

Yes I realize that Lancona has only been available for 10 days -- that's not my comment. And yes, I will wait to see how things turn out.

My point of concern is not a kid who wants to play right away, but a kid who expects to play right away and if he doesn't (even if he hasn't earned it) will leave - Carter seems to be a potential example. If a kid says, "I only want to go where I will play right away" that tells me that he doesn't necessarily think he needs to earn it - he just expects it by virtue of being recruited.

And, yes, of course every kid wants to play right away - I think that is the point of going to college on a basketball scholarship.

This is the most contradictory post of all-time.

So you are taking your dumb statement about JC getting a "late start" back?? Even you now realize that JC has, in fact, been recruiting all year? BTW, JC received two (2) commitments while interim coach and none, so far, as the permanent coach.

And no, JC's focus has been on recruiting all year -- hence the Crawford signing. Not sure what you mean about ability though.

Getting a little aggressive there Clock. Deep breaths will help.

No I'm not taking it back. Recruiting as an interim is not the same as recruiting as the head coach. I trust you are intelligent enough to understand this. Furthermore, Crews only really received one (1)commitment while he was truly an interim coach. When Agbeko committed it was clear that Crews was going to be the head coach.

So you said that "Even you now realize that JC has, in fact, been recruiting all year." I'm not gonna be harsh enough to call this statement "dumb" as you would. But it is indeed misinformed. Crews was recruiting VERY minimally during the season. Guys like Agbeko, Lancona, Onwuasor, Strawberry, Jolly were not being recruited during the season. Crews was NOT actively recruiting during the season. The Crawford signing was an outlier and anyone who has been been paying attention to the recruiting information surrounding the team could tell you that.

You're not so smart are you?

Tanner Lancona retweeted Cody Ellis last night. I feel like we have a real shot at the kid.

My arbitrary and uninformed estimate of are chances at the two guys we seem to have offers out to:

Lancona- 50 percent

Onwuasor- 20 percent

If we land one and not the other I hope we dig deep into the transfer market. As a matter of fact I hope we are scouring the list of transfers regardless.

No. I'd rather save the scholarships. That would be Ground Hog Day.

Jake Barnett was a serviceable 8/9/10 man last year. If you're expecting a late Spring signee (outside of the Top 100) to make an immediate impact greater than Barnett you are going to be disappointed. Did we really want Jared Drew because he red-shirted last year? Not sure I follow your logic.

BTW, RickMa missed on a ton of recruits. Will Clyburn, Josh Harrellson, etc.

Sodie missed on Harrleson - RM was not here yet. I don't remember who was here for Clyburn. My point simply is that under Romar and Sodie we kept waiting and waiting and waiting until the kid picked someone else and we probably new or chances were fading but we did not have any back up plans so yes we were stuck with saving schollies and/or trying to get kids that just happened to pop up for whatever the reason later in the summer. When RM was here he would not wait and wait and wait and he always had a back up plan that often paid off. We got use to a successful recruiting approach and now we may find ourselves back to the old ways that never seemed to work very well for us. This is all about closing the deal - RM could do that the others struggle doing it. RO is not better then JB? - no I think there are good people out there - as others have said the spring recruiting landscape has changed - the question really is how do we close the deal.

Sodie missed on Harrleson - RM was not here yet. I don't remember who was here for Clyburn. My point simply is that under Romar and Sodie we kept waiting and waiting and waiting until the kid picked someone else and we probably new or chances were fading but we did not have any back up plans so yes we were stuck with saving schollies and/or trying to get kids that just happened to pop up for whatever the reason later in the summer. When RM was here he would not wait and wait and wait and he always had a back up plan that often paid off. We got use to a successful recruiting approach and now we may find ourselves back to the old ways that never seemed to work very well for us. This is all about closing the deal - RM could do that the others struggle doing it. RO is not better then JB? - no I think there are good people out there - as others have said the spring recruiting landscape has changed - the question really is how do we close the deal.

Sodie missed on the evaluation of Harrellson in highschool but RM was unable to close the deal when he became available from SWIC. Majerus missed on plenty of recruits (and not just ones he walked away from early) so we need to stop with the revisionist histories here.

By the way, for those who think that I am bailing on JC already - you are wrong. I have hopes that he will succeed and yes I can wait for the recruiting season to be over and I am willing to even wait until the transfer time closes but to think that it is wrong to ask a question about the approach a coach is taking is being critical is a bit over the top. By the way, RM did say many times that his approach to recruiting was not to have a kid string him along and to make sure he was casting a wide net for players. If some of you can not understand what those comments meant then that is on you but it seems pretty clear to me what he was saying and doing. This recruiting class is a big deal because this group will be the foundation for 2014 and if we do not do well then we will find ourselves rebuilding that year and who wants to be in that position.

Sodie missed on the evaluation of Harrellson in highschool but RM was unable to close the deal when he became available from SWIC. Majerus missed on plenty of recruits (and not just ones he walked away from early) so we need to stop with the revisionist histories here.

No, Sodie was here when Harrellson signed with KY. Sodie was told by Harrellson that he was coming to SLU but just wanted to make the trip to KY for the heck of it but he had such a good time that when he came back, he blind sided Sodie. In fact that miss was the beginning of the end for Sodie. When Harrleson was in h.s. Sodie asked him to not sign until the spring but the kid signed with Western IL and then hated his decision. The coach would not let him out and so that is when Harrellson ended up at SWIC. Sodie tried to recruit him from there also and thought he had the kid as I mentioned above - I agree Harrleson could have been ours in the fall.

This is the most contradictory post of all-time.

Coming from you, I almost consider that a compliment given some of the things that you have "written".

No, Sodie was here when Harrellson signed with KY. Sodie was told by Harrellson that he was coming to SLU but just wanted to make the trip to KY for the heck of it but he had such a good time that when he came back, he blind sided Sodie. In fact that miss was the beginning of the end for Sodie. When Harrleson was in h.s. Sodie asked him to not sign until the spring but the kid signed with Western IL and then hated his decision. The coach would not let him out and so that is when Harrellson ended up at SWIC. Sodie tried to recruit him from there also and thought he had the kid as I mentioned above - I agree Harrleson could have been ours in the fall.

Cheese this is simply false. Majerus was our coach when Harrellson committed to Kentucky.

Sidenote: Though others may disagree, I doubt Majerus would have recruited Harrellson out of high school. There is a reason he went to Western Illinois. This is a contentious point, however