Recruiting - 2013

Nothing I add to this thread can top that, Jimbo.

New Seton Hall article that mentions Onwuasor: http://www.southorangejuice.com/2013/4/24/4263452/seton-hall-hosting-sophomores-mohamed-touray-and-desure-buie

"Despite landing commitments from junior college wing Stephane Manga and Jersey guard Jaren Sina last week, Seton Hall still has one more scholarship to give - two if point guard Tom Maayan is obligated to return to Israel in order to fulfill military service for the IDF.

With point guard Nigel Johnson committing to Kansas State and power forward Darryl Reynolds choosing Villanova over Utah, South Carolina and Seton Hall, the staff is running out of targets. However, one surfaced in the form of 2013 point guard Randy Onwuasor of Inglewood (Calif.) A 6-foot-3 guard, Randy visited St. Louis on April 11th and is scheduled to visit Miami (OH) tomorrow. He is then planning on visiting Seton Hall, but a date has not yet been set. Onwuasor averaged 16.1 PPG and 6.6 APG for Inglewood as a senior this season.

"

Question for the board: Since Randy has no date set for his Seton Hall visit, I'm guessing he's waiting to see how Miami goes. If he doesn't end up visiting Seton Hall, is that a good thing for us?

Djambo cancelled his SLU visit after Southern Miss, only to go back and commit to Clemson. We seemed like the frontrunner on Randy before these other two got involved- I wonder if he's just taking a peek to see what else is out there to get more comfortable with SLU. Or is he liking everything Miami has to say and needs to see the place in person to get comfortable? I don't know, just wondering since it's kind of odd he hasn't set a date to see Seton Hall. I'm going to say our odds are 50-50. He either signs with us or he doesn't.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lancona Honing In on College Choice

When Tesoro senior Tanner Lancona and the Washington State basketball program decided to part ways, plenty of people took notice.

The Tesoro forward initially signed with the Cougars in November, but earlier this month he announced a "mutual" separation from WSU and was flung back into the recruiting process.

mltug2-b781100974z.120130425125652000gjm
Tesoro's Tanner Lancona, right, has narrowed his college choices to four schools and is expecting to make a decision in the next two weeks. Lancona originally signed with Washington State but announced a "mutual" split from the Cougars earlier this month.

In his renewed recruitment, Lancona has received 10 offers and has narrowed his choices down to four programs – Kansas State, St. Louis, Colorado State and Brigham Young – his father, Sean ...

Anyone have a subscription to the OC Register? It cuts off there and it's a paid subscription. Anyway, this article hit 10 minutes ago. 10 offers but we're one of four left standing.

I hope more recruiting names surface. If we don't land Randy and/or the big kid from Cali, none of the other names being mentioned sound very promising.

To be honest, any name that is going to sound promising at this point in the game is going to already have tons of schools with open scholarships jumping on him. If SLU tries to jump in now on 'promising' players who haven't just recently de-committed or announced his transfer, then they are basically a Johnny Come Lately and wasting their time and effort trying to get in at the last minute. Better to have your back-up plans in place with the 'less promising' players so that you aren't left holding an empty bag when it is all said and done.

To be honest, any name that is going to sound promising at this point in the game is going to already have tons of schools with open scholarships jumping on him. If SLU tries to jump in now on 'promising' players who haven't just recently de-committed or announced his transfer, then they are basically a Johnny Come Lately and wasting their time and effort trying to get in at the last minute. Better to have your back-up plans in place with the 'less promising' players so that you aren't left holding an empty bag when it is all said and done.

Makes a lot of sense. The main thing is that whoever does come in can contribute.

Pretty much. Any new names at this point are going to be projects like Jolly, whose list of schools represents a lower tier than SLU.

The most talented players available are transfers. Most will have to sit a year, many will have 2 years or less of eligibility. They're also super hard to find information about because there's a flurry of stuff written as soon as they make the transfer official, then it's hard to pin down who's talking to whom, and who's initiating contact.

We were in early on guys like Knight and Saintil but my guess is that they're well aware they aren't priority number one right now, as we wait for Lancona to visit and Onwuasor to visit other places and decide. It should be under two weeks on both, but in the meantime the other names on our list may very well go other directions. My gut feeling is that Saintil and Knight are gone. The exception, from what I can tell, is Strawberry. I could see him waiting for us and I don't mind him as Plan B to Onwuasor. Plan B to Lancona (who, to be fair, is already Plan B or our new Plan A) is a bigger question mark.

Sounds like it will be a week or two before we hear a decision from Lancona and Onwuasor

If it's May 5th for Lancona, we're at the 10-day mark. Onwuasor must be close, too, if he's visiting Miami this weekend and Seton Hall (maybe) the next. He should be a couple days after Lancona, at most.

I have to give Lancona credit. His timeline has been a whirlwind- officially released from Washington State on April 12th, talked to the press on the 13th, worked out and met with coaches for a week-plus, received 10 or so offers, whittled it down to four, and will be visiting two, possibly three. He's clearly organized and has parents and coach(es) really helping out. I'm impressed with him so far in the way he's handled all of this.

If this goes another week or more before we hear about the other recruits, this thread will approach 300,000 views.

I was at Pappy's about a week and a half ago and was talking with Mike (Pappy) and we got talking about RM. Mike said how much he missed the big guy. Mike also said that RM told him that he told a recruit that if he could find another barbeque place this good and this close to another campus, that he would never hold it against the kid for picking that school over SLU.

Mike also said on two different occasions he took two different gentleman up to meet RM while he was eating at Pappy's. They got talking about RM's love of the place and RM pulled up his shirt twice to show his scars and told the guys that he's had a bypass for every food group.

Great stuff!

Lancona wants to play. We have minutes and he

Slides into Cody's minutes. With RA and MC this team might actually be better than last years...

If one were to pick one, cannot have both.....Djambo or Lancona? I would have to say Lancona wins because of potential and four years. Hope his parents and coaches have been on the net looking at tape of SLU....

Lancona wants to play. We have minutes and he

Slides into Cody's minutes. With RA and MC this team might actually be better than last years...

If one were to pick one, cannot have both.....Djambo or Lancona? I would have to say Lancona wins because of potential and four years. Hope his parents and coaches have been on the net looking at tape of SLU....

Lancona by 2 years of eligibility.

Lancona Update:

1. Lancona's Top-4 right now: #SLU, K-State, Colorado State and BYU. One is a heavy favorite. SLU visit this weekend. Kansas State next.

Tanner Lancona's dad said he bought every member of his family Washington State gear for Xmas before school reneged on the scholarship.

jasmineaustin.jpg

Alright A-holes we dont want him leaving so I dont want any of you old dirty bastards banging out AM smokin hot girlfriend. Insiders/ donors/non MBM's Im looking in your direction, dont screw this up for us. If somebody does bang her out...pics please.