Recruiting - 2013

I think you just gave a perfect explanation why there were quite a few critics of Soderberg, or as you call them "haters." Wasting scholarships on poor players and players with academic risks coupled with then not using some available scholarships when you have roster needs is a recipe for failure.

In an attempt to avoid ANY discussion of Soderberg I'll say this:

SLU is not done recruiting for next year. I like SLU's chances of filling the last spot.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In an attempt to avoid ANY discussion of Soderberg I'll say this:

SLU is not done recruiting for next year. I like SLU's chances of filling the last spot.

Yes, Soderberg is a dull topic. Glad there are more interesting things to discuss these days.

I think you just gave a perfect explanation why there were quite a few critics of Soderberg, or as you call them "haters." Wasting scholarships on poor players and players with academic risks coupled with then not using some available scholarships when you have roster needs is a recipe for failure.

soderberg's academic risks were a lot less frequent than rickma. subpar basketball players to fill out the bench was true.

You had me with you roy ... until "... to fill out the bench."

From 2002-03 through 2006-07, we had the following players come into the program .... Justin Johnson, Izik Ohanon, Anthony Drejaj, Darren Clarke, Ian Voyoukous, Tom Frericks, Reggie Bryant, Dwayne Polk, Danny Brown, Va'shune Newborne, Luke Meyer, Bryce Husak, Kevin Lisch, Tommie Liddell, Obi Ikeafor, Dustin Maguire, Horace Dixon, Adam Knollmeyer, Barry Eberhardt, Marcus Relphorde and Anthony Mitchell.

That is six years of recruiting equaling maybe 4 decent recruits (Voyoukous, Lisch, Lidell, Bryant) and maybe four or five role players at best. No, it was subpar all around.

Sure, the guy had an overall record of 80 and 74 for a .51% winning percentage but how much of that was affected by opponents I don't know.

From 2002-03 through 2006-07, we had the following players come into the program .... Justin Johnson, Izik Ohanon, Anthony Drejaj, Darren Clarke, Ian Voyoukous, Tom Frericks, Reggie Bryant, Dwayne Polk, Danny Brown, Va'shune Newborne, Luke Meyer, Bryce Husak, Kevin Lisch, Tommie Liddell, Obi Ikeafor, Dustin Maguire, Horace Dixon, Adam Knollmeyer, Barry Eberhardt, Marcus Relphorde and Anthony Mitchell.

That is six years of recruiting equaling maybe 4 decent recruits (Voyoukous, Lisch, Lidell, Bryant) and maybe four or five role players at best. No, it was subpar all around.

Sure, the guy had an overall record of 80 and 74 for a .51% winning percentage but how much of that was affected by opponents I don't know.

Not trying to defend Sodie, but that list includes more than four decent players. Sodie's biggest problems with recruiting came in the second half of his tenure.

soderberg coached the billikens when for 3 of the 5 seasons the billikens were still in top 5 conference usa.

@brian -- "decent "is in the eyes of the beholder. Just not these eyes.

Lisch, Vouyoukas, Liddell, Bryant, Drejaj, Brown, Frericks, Ohanon, Meyer, Eberhardt, Relphorde (Colorado version)

Those are the only players (in roughly that order) that I would actually want on my team. Probably only the first 4 would be players that I would want receiving a lot of minutes. The rest would be decent bench players. The problem was that for Sodie all of these guys were getting big minutes along with some of the scrubs that I wouldn't even want on the team.

Lisch, Vouyoukas, Liddell, Bryant, Drejaj, Brown, Frericks, Ohanon, Meyer, Eberhardt, Relphorde (Colorado version)

Those are the only players (in roughly that order) that I would actually want on my team. Probably only the first 4 would be players that I would want receiving a lot of minutes. The rest would be decent bench players. The problem was that for Sodie all of these guys were getting big minutes along with some of the scrubs that I wouldn't even want on the team.

+1 maybe not 35 mpg guys, but guys getting Barnett type minutes. Especially a healthy Frericks.

Take the list from above and put the players into 4 categories as if they were being recruited on to next years roster. I used top 7 as that's a significant player (starting is for HS right). Not sure to consider their ranks coming in or their actual results, use your own guideline, just explain

1. Nope

2. bench player

3. Top 7 as upper classman

4. Top 7 as under classman

My rankings. I'm basing it on whether I'd want them and where I think they'd fit with the benefit of hindsight

1. Nope - Justin Johnson, Darren Clarke, Dwayne Polk, Va'shune Newborne, Obi, Dustin Mac, Horace Dix, Adam Knoll, Anthony Mitchell

2. Bench - Danny Brown, Barry Eberhardt, Luke Meyer, Bryce Husak

3. Upper class player- Izik O, Drejaj, Ian V, Tom Fr., Reggie Bryant, Marcus Relphorde

4. Under class player - Kevin, Tommie

My totals

Nope - 9 / 21

Bench - 4 / 21

Upper - 6 / 21

Under - 2 / 21

I'm questionable on whether to list Reggie B as an upper or under class player

Not good results as I only have 8 of 21 players ever being major contributors. I'm sure some will argue Luke should be an upper class contributor and Bryce should be a nope ... but I don't see it that way.

Not trying to defend Sodie, but that list includes more than four decent players. Sodie's biggest problems with recruiting came in the second half of his tenure.

Yeah, Relphorde and Meyer were legit. Relphorde didn't want to play out of position and Luke Meyer did exactly that for the good of the team.

But yeah, Sodie couldn't recruit a person to a place that said person would otherwise really enjoy visiting.

Here is the thing for me - correct me if I am wrong - what post season tourneys did BS take his team to? I don't remember any NITs and I know there was no NCAAs. I agree that when he was here CUSA was a tough conference but that should have made recruiting easier if you believe that the conf makes all that much difference in a player's mind regarding his decision. I also agree that it was the second half of his time here that his recruiting went south - in the first half he found enough serviceable players to make us competitive. Now I realize he had a 6 games over 500 record and that he played a competitive schedule for the most part but as we know playing 500 ball or a little over will not get you invited anywhere. Because of his mediocre overall performance as a coach he caused the attendance/season tix totals to take a real nose dive. You can make all the excuses you want for him but the bottom line is he did not deliver.

Take the list from above and put the players into 4 categories as if they were being recruited on to next years roster. I used top 7 as that's a significant player (starting is for HS right). Not sure to consider their ranks coming in or their actual results, use your own guideline, just explain

1. Nope

2. bench player

3. Top 7 as upper classman

4. Top 7 as under classman

My rankings. I'm basing it on whether I'd want them and where I think they'd fit with the benefit of hindsight

1. Nope - Justin Johnson, Darren Clarke, Dwayne Polk, Va'shune Newborne, Obi, Dustin Mac, Horace Dix, Adam Knoll, Anthony Mitchell

2. Bench - Danny Brown, Barry Eberhardt, Luke Meyer, Bryce Husak

3. Upper class player- Izik O, Drejaj, Ian V, Tom Fr., Reggie Bryant, Marcus Relphorde

4. Under class player - Kevin, Tommie

My totals

Nope - 9 / 21

Bench - 4 / 21

Upper - 6 / 21

Under - 2 / 21

I'm questionable on whether to list Reggie B as an upper or under class player

Not good results as I only have 8 of 21 players ever being major contributors. I'm sure some will argue Luke should be an upper class contributor and Bryce should be a nope ... but I don't see it that way.

I actually think the Sr. year Husak would be in the rotation this year.

The overall talent isn't close to what it is now, but that list included more than four decent players.

Here is the thing for me - correct me if I am wrong - what post season tourneys did BS take his team to? I don't remember any NITs and I know there was no NCAAs. I agree that when he was here CUSA was a tough conference but that should have made recruiting easier if you believe that the conf makes all that much difference in a player's mind regarding his decision. I also agree that it was the second half of his time here that his recruiting went south - in the first half he found enough serviceable players to make us competitive. Now I realize he had a 6 games over 500 record and that he played a competitive schedule for the most part but as we know playing 500 ball or a little over will not get you invited anywhere. Because of his mediocre overall performance as a coach he caused the attendance/season tix totals to take a real nose dive. You can make all the excuses you want for him but the bottom line is he did not deliver.

I hate even posting on this since discussing Sodi is so irrelevant to where this program is at today but Sodi did take us to NITs his first two years. We lost in the first round to Minnesota I believe the first year and beat Iowa on the Drejaj 3 pointer at the buzzer then lost to ND the next year. It was year 3 with all the injuries that the train jumped the rails and he never recruited well enough to get us back on track.

That Drejaj 3 at the Family Arena was one of the greatest moments EVER!!!

Thankfully we'll never be moved to the Family Arena due to scheduling conflicts with Disney on Ice again!

Who in the hell brought up Soderberg's name in a thread about 2013 recruiting? I'll have to go back and check. Just bringing up Sodie's name in this thread could kill any recruiting momentum we have going. ;)

I guess it beats talking about V--po, but not by much.

That Drejaj 3 at the Family Arena was one of the greatest moments EVER!!!

Thankfully we'll never be moved to the Family Arena due to scheduling conflicts with Disney on Ice again!

I was sitting next to an Iowa state fan who was talking about how much we'd love Luke Meyer the next year. The Drejaj three was the best moment of the Soderburg era.....

The worst moment was ruining a nice vacation and great seating in St. Thomas to watch the team get beat by teams we were supposed to walk through to get to the finals. He was out coached; the refs treated him with no respect and he just let things go the wrong direction

Feedback on Yacoubou from those who saw him play:

http://wap.rivals.com/message2.asp?SID=1000&mid=163796938&fid=1159&tid=163796938&Team=223

EDIT — better link for those not on a smartphone: http://villanova.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1159&tid=163796938&mid=163796938&sid=1000&style=2

Edited by Absurd_Bills_fan