GDT: Jay Spoonhour had a farm, EIEIU

bonwich

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice win. Took care of business against a bad team. Saw somethings that give me pretty high hopes for when Mitchell returns, but don't want to get too excited due to the competition.

Agreed. This was exactly the type of effort and game I wanted to see against a creampuff. Good, solid execution with an extended rotation of players giving guys like McCall and Jett prolonged breathers, which they need right now. It was nice to see Carter back in action and Manning get more minutes. If Carter is able to give effort like this in the LMU game on Saturday, it looks like he will force Crews' hand on the guard rotation when Mitchell returns.

Meant isn't wooden or rickma. I get why people disagree, but just think he has started taking too much crap.

Agree.

Unfortunately I think its to late for the perception of him to change.

No matter what the team and Crews do this year he will be the whipping boy and be blasted for every loss.

Im not sold on him either but I bet he gets unfairly blamed the rest of the year.

Agreed. This was exactly the type of effort and game I wanted to see against a creampuff. Good, solid execution with an extended rotation of players giving guys like McCall and Jett prolonged breathers, which they need right now. It was nice to see Carter back in action and Manning get more minutes. If Carter is able to give effort like this in the LMU game on Saturday, it looks like he will force Crews' hand on the guard rotation when Mitchell returns.

By the end of his sophomore year, the theme of all the other A10 teams will be "Get Carter".

Precise execution on both ends tonight. Only had a couple short lulls on offense, but the defense never really flagged all night.

2 words for Mike McCall. SHOOT MORE!!!! He is leading the NATION in 3 point shooting now at 56%.

Carter looked good, more calm than his other games. It was nice to see someone drive and dish without turning the ball over. He & KM are the only guys on the roster who can do that effectively.

Great balance tonight. We had 6 different guys make 3s in the first half.

Remuken was great defensively. He shut down Piper, EIU's leading scorer completely. Still has problems defending back to the basket but opposing big men cannot face up and score against Remuken.

Manning played well too. The block at the end of the game on the breakaway was perfect.

Loe is broken. His confidence is shot and he's not being put in situations where he can succeed. Forget trying to make him into a post presence. Let him shoot 3s and play the high post. Best passing big man on the team by far, yet we never use him. He has to be turned around before conference play starts.

Some progress was made. I think this is the first game we played all year where we executed like we should and played up to expectations instead of playing down to our opponent for stretches.

Precise execution on both ends tonight. Only had a couple short lulls on offense, but the defense never really flagged all night.

2 words for Mike McCall. SHOOT MORE!!!! He is leading the NATION in 3 point shooting now at 56%.

Carter looked good, more calm than his other games. It was nice to see someone drive and dish without turning the ball over. He & KM are the only guys on the roster who can do that effectively.

Remuken was great defensively. He shut down Piper, EIU's leading scorer completely. Still has problems defending back to the basket but opposing big men cannot face up and score against Remuken.

Manning played well too. The block at the end of the game on the breakaway was perfect.

Loe is broken. His confidence is shot and he's not being put in situations where he can succeed. Forget trying to make him into a post presence. Let him shoot 3s and play the high post. Best passing big man on the team by far, yet we never use him. He has to be turned around before conference play starts.

Some progress was made. I think this is the first game we played all year where we executed like we should and played up to expectations instead of playing down to our opponent for stretches.

I agree with everything you posted, but how about Grandy's 9 boards(4 offensive) in 12 minutes since coming back from the shoulder injury, I like seeing his aggressiveness.

Against a team like EIU, Loe should have had a field day. He doesn't miss a shot in warmups but has no gametime confidence to put up an open 3pt shot with a 6' defender closing on him??????? Something needs to change with him.

I'd agree w/ just about everything said, especially RL. I think we all expected him to come back from his Olympic experience as a force to be reckoned with, but right now he seems lost out there. Get him fixed and we'll be a force. Very impressed w/ young Mssrs. Carter, Manning, and Glaze.

What did Yogi say? "Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical.": Frame of mind equates to confidence and right now, it appears RL has lost confidence. Ninety percent of us could argue that playing him more last night would have been better, to allow the kinks to be worked out. However, the other half of us would likely claim that keeping him in and letting the bad stuff to continue would only snowball and escalate to worse performances. So what do you do. Wasn't it Steve Sax who couldn't throw from his secondbase position to first for a long time? Tony Conigliero couldn't stand at the plate without bailin gout after he was hit by a pitched ball in the face? Sports psychologists have been used too.

All I know that confidence is a hard thing to regain once lost. But ----- I said to those who thought it easy for RL to go inside were wrong. The kid is an international big. They play on the perimeter. Manningis the prototypical big man. And his play last night continues to show improvement. Plus someone noted GG's rebounding numbers that last few games. So GG is a prototypical four. At one point, you had GG, JM and RL all on the floor last night and in that configuration, Rammer called RL he "6'11" three man." That is what he is and it works if JM is the five and GG is the four.

Wake Forest played and beat us with two seven-footers in the nineties NCAA torunament in Baltimore ... Tim Duncan and that Spanish guy Ricky Peral. It can be done but if REL were indeed the three insuch a ocnfiguration, he needs better shooting numbers for sure. Of course, the one he makews was on an assist from McCall late butit was disallowed as McCall was fouled as he passed it off. A guy like RL on theperimeter works well if JM is the interior five. However, what you can gain in the offensive end gets somewhat negated on the defensive end as it is quite likely RL could not stay with a prototypical three on defense.

And while last night was good to see in terms of GG, JM, JB and KC all paying more and well, it was against the worst opponent I've seen to date. But the cupcake run can develop confidence in all.

Totally agree about Loe. Crews is trying to make him into something he is not and never will be, a post presence. He does have skills, but they are all high post and perimeter. Use them.

I agree with everything you posted, but how about Grandy's 9 boards(4 offensive) in 12 minutes since coming back from the shoulder injury, I like seeing his aggressiveness.

Against a team like EIU, Loe should have had a field day. He doesn't miss a shot in warmups but has no gametime confidence to put up an open 3pt shot with a 6' defender closing on him??????? Something needs to change with him.

I love Grandy's hussle and intensity. He's going to be a crowd favorite. I think he is the best 11th man this program has ever had. It shows you how deep of a roster RM has built. I'm confident that he will be in able to step in next year and fill the role Corey has provided, although they are a bit different types of players.

I love Grandy's hussle and intensity. He's going to be a crowd favorite. I think he is the best 11th man this program has ever had. It shows you how deep of a roster RM has built. I'm confident that he will be in able to step in next year and fill the role Corey has provided, although they are a bit different types of players.

I like Grandy's motor and attitude, but I'm not confident he can fill CR's role next year.

I like Grandy's motor and attitude, but I'm not confident he can fill CR's role next year.

We shall see. Some people doubted me when I said Corey was going to be the starter this year and would do just fine playing D, blocking shots and throwing down some dunks. I'm usually on the right side of history. ;)