Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

1 hour ago, TFord and TRavs said:

So snapchats get deleted right away unless there is a screenshot. If it was a video a screenshot would most likely be blurry. I doubt this was on a “story” where a lot can see but rather sent to someone. 

My plausible guess, one of the girls is at least a student athlete. That student athlete’s friend was around when presumably someone received a Snapchat of whatever it was, who then told said student athlete that there was a Snapchat of her doing something no bueno. Then around the 2 am mark those girls try to save their reputation and report. 

Because of the “no criminal charges” I am also assuming the rape kit described in the article provided no good evidence 

Really don't like the "save their reputation and report" language being used. Starts to imply these girls are making false claims just to save face. Which may be the case, but we have no evidence of that yet. Even if the only wrongdoing is one of the players idiotically sending a Snap without the consent of any of the girls to be recorded, if the girls wanted to anything to be done, they may have decided to follow "procedure" to a T by going to the hospital/reporting

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Frank again today said we should get clarity on the situation VERY soon.  Thats all he has said about it.  

Good to know. I hope he's right. I'm ready for this situation to be over regardless of the punishment. I'm not sure what other evidence/decisions need to be made. 

21 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Good to know. I hope he's right. I'm ready for this situation to be over regardless of the punishment. I'm not sure what other evidence/decisions need to be made. 

Same, but I don't think Frank is correct. These things take time, as they cannot be rushed. 

Assuming the sex was consensual, if there was a video made of group sex on campus with all participant's consent, I think all involved will be expelled. If there was a video made of which some participants weren't aware, I think everyone that was aware is expelled and the unaware participants receive some type of discipline. If the video was shared, whoever participated in sharing it will be expelled. This is a Catholic University, they cannot condone the making and distribution of sex films on campus. I am not sure if group sex on campus violates any student code of conduct, but if alcohol is involved it probably is even without the video. I don't see how this turns out to be anything but a disaster. The players may have the finest legal representation, but they still have to deal with bad facts. A victory to them is no criminal charges. It appears they will achieve that. I just don't see how they can prevail in the campus proceedings with these facts.

HoosierPal likes this

3 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Assuming the sex was consensual, if there was a video made of group sex on campus with all participant's consent, I think all involved will be expelled. If there was a video made of which some participants weren't aware, I think everyone that was aware is expelled and the unaware participants receive some type of discipline. If the video was shared, whoever participated in sharing it will be expelled. This is a Catholic University, they cannot condone the making and distribution of sex films on campus. I am not sure if group sex on campus violates any student code of conduct, but if alcohol is involved it probably is even without the video. I don't see how this turns out to be anything but a disaster. The players may have the finest legal representation, but they still have to deal with bad facts. A victory to them is no criminal charges. It appears they will achieve that. I just don't see how they can prevail in the campus proceedings with these facts.

I think your next endeavour should be a Jump to Conclusions Mat.

3 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

No way the University would actually expel anyone just because there was a consensual video of a consensual group sex act. That's a complete overreaction. The issues are a) if the sex act was consensual and b ) if the video is consensual.

1 hour ago, GBL_Bills said:

Really don't like the "save their reputation and report" language being used. Starts to imply these girls are making false claims just to save face. Which may be the case, but we have no evidence of that yet. Even if the only wrongdoing is one of the players idiotically sending a Snap without the consent of any of the girls to be recorded, if the girls wanted to anything to be done, they may have decided to follow "procedure" to a T by going to the hospital/reporting

Guess what. I don’t care Mr 7 posts. And I know more than you. 

10 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

im not too far from your above scenario.   i do think though that if ALL parties were consensual it probably doesnt need to be expulsion.  but there should be punishment.  now if there is any actual non consensual activity, then i would probably jump on the expulsion wagon and there should likely be criminal charges.   from all indications of rumors the non consensual thing is not in play here.   

1 minute ago, GBL_Bills said:

No way the University would actually expel anyone just because there was a consensual video of a consensual group sex act. That's a complete overreaction. The issues are a) if the sex act was consensual and b ) if the video is consensual.

Ageed.  At least, I would hope not.  SLU should not be policing their adult students engaging in consensual legal activity unless that activity specifically violates their code of conduct.  I haven't read the code of conduct, but I'm kind of doubtful group sex / video taping sex is in there.

4 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Ageed.  At least, I would hope not.  SLU should not be policing their adult students engaging in consensual legal activity unless that activity specifically violates their code of conduct.  I haven't read the code of conduct, but I'm kind of doubtful group sex / video taping sex is in there.

i would venture to guess that you wont find a university in the country that specifically covers orgies/making sex recordings in their rules of conduct.

GBL_Bills likes this

This is not the 1950s or 60s for that matter.  I think the last thing the school should be doing is trying to police what adults do - yes adults 18 makes you an adult.  If they do it here then they will be forced to do it for everyone.  Bottom line is don't start something you can not finish.  As far as the code of conduct - that should only apply if something is done that was illegal or not consensual.  As far as the posting or snapchat - whatever that is - it would probably be best handled in a civil case.  Is the U going to start checking everybody's accounts to see if somebody sent a suggestive picture to some one else? - no, same issue.  The code probably says something about appropriate behavior - a catch all phrase - that allows them to apply it on anything basically but once again, don't start something you can't finish.

9 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

This is not the 1950s or 60s for that matter.  I think the last thing the school should be doing is trying to police what adults do - yes adults 18 makes you an adult.  If they do it here then they will be forced to do it for everyone.  Bottom line is don't start something you can not finish.  As far as the code of conduct - that should only apply if something is done that was illegal or not consensual.  As far as the posting or snapchat - whatever that is - it would probably be best handled in a civil case.  Is the U going to start checking everybody's accounts to see if somebody sent a suggestive picture to some one else? - no, same issue.  The code probably says something about appropriate behavior - a catch all phrase - that allows them to apply it on anything basically but once again, don't start something you can't finish.

BYU had the player get suspended for having premarital sex - I know that is an extreme example.

23 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I believe there is something about having sex in the dorms in the student conduct handbook.  

27 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i would venture to guess that you wont find a university in the country that specifically covers orgies/making sex recordings in their rules of conduct.

I know SLU would have some additional leeway since their judicial proceedings are not a court of law, but in general, if something isn't specifically prohibited by law, you can't be punished for doing it. 

4 minutes ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

I believe there is something about having sex in the dorms in the student conduct handbook.  

This could be a catch-all that is utilized.

5 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I know SLU would have some additional leeway since their judicial proceedings are not a court of law, but in general, if something isn't specifically prohibited by law, you can't be punished for doing it. 

This could be a catch-all that is utilized.

Once again, all a student would have to do is prove that an RA simply looked the other way in another case and the code falls apart - you know this has happened.  Like I said before don't start something that you can not finish.

26 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

then whats the point of a student conduct handbook if it cant be enforced?

I'm obviously no lawyer, however, these are adults and if it turns out everything was consensual, how could there be a punishment? Even by a student board. These guys have good lawyers and I don't think it'd be a stretch to make a case that they were being singled out due to being athletes. Is every student that has consensual sex with one or more than one person in the dorms being brought before the student board? Is anyone actually policing it? Does anyone actually care if it doesn't become news? What percentage of the dorm residents would we guess has actually had sex in their dorm room or any dorm room? 50%? I'd guess that's a low estimate. I'd guess we'd have a lawsuit against SLU coming pretty quickly. These aren't kids, they are ADULTS.

I always thought Kwamain should have gotten an attorney.