• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Compton said:

Where's Rashed? Taking the photo? 

Rashed?

Normally our small teams played against teams with players that looked like that picture now we are that team, I am ready for November.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

The ripple effect of Holtmann taking the Buckeyes job and Butler replacing Holtmann might put some recruits back on the market really late in the game.

That is possible and I know you can not do anything about the Butler coach leaving at this time but it sure seems unfair to do this to any team in June.  I get in April but June? - like I said I know nothing can be done about it.

38 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Not that this is a surprise, but looks like we can close the book on 2017 recruiting.

Indeed. Thanks for making it official. 205 pages and I'm exhausted.

In Ford I trust, and since that is the way the coach wants to use the scholarship good for Aaron.

I recognize that Aaron worked hard and earned the scholarship.

With the ending of this recruiting class having been clearly signaled, I feel somewhat concerned about the seemingly philosophical belief that a true point guard is not needed on this roster.We have a nice stable of hybrids with upside,but no one besides Bishop who looks to distribute.Aaron will fill his role admirably,but he is not the answer. Drivers,slashers and shooters tend to be at their best when not burdened with the extra responsibility of running the offense. 

3 hours ago, RealTalk said:

With the ending of this recruiting class having been clearly signaled, I feel somewhat concerned about the seemingly philosophical belief that a true point guard is not needed on this roster.We have a nice stable of hybrids with upside,but no one besides Bishop who looks to distribute.Aaron will fill his role admirably,but he is not the answer. Drivers,slashers and shooters tend to be at their best when not burdened with the extra responsibility of running the offense. 

Did Graves leave the program?

8 hours ago, RealTalk said:

I know people will disagree with me, but rarely in the modern college game does a kid dribble the ball up the floor, stop near the three point arc, look around, and decide who to distribute the ball to.  That may have been the role of a point guard in the 60s, 70s, maybe 80s, but that's not what happens now.  Watch a tape of any college game from last season and tell me how many times that happens in a game.  You will probably be shocked to find out that the answer is very rarely.  When it does happen, fans typically complain that it doesn't seem as if the team has an offensive plan.

In the modern game, someone brings the ball down the court and immediately distributes it to a player on the wing at which time the team's offensive scheme kicks in involving the ball being rotated around the floor in a way that hopefully results in a high percentage shot.  In this system, used by almost everyone, at least three or four players touch the ball and are expected to try to distribute the ball before a shot is taken.  The most a "true" point guard does nowadays is help make sure that a team breaks the press, but even that is a team function.

I know its not a popular opinion on this board, but craving a true point guard is an outdated thing given the way offenses are run.

10 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I know people will disagree with me, but rarely in the modern college game does a kid dribble the ball up the floor, stop near the three point arc, look around, and decide who to distribute the ball to.  That may have been the role of a point guard in the 60s, 70s, maybe 80s, but that's not what happens now.  Watch a tape of any college game from last season and tell me how many times that happens in a game.  You will probably be shocked to find out that the answer is very rarely.  When it does happen, fans typically complain that it doesn't seem as if the team has an offensive plan.

In the modern game, someone brings the ball down the court and immediately distributes it to a player on the wing at which time the team's offensive scheme kicks in involving the ball being rotated around the floor in a way that hopefully results in a high percentage shot.  In this system, used by almost everyone, at least three or four players touch the ball and are expected to try to distribute the ball before a shot is taken.  The most a "true" point guard does nowadays is help make sure that a team breaks the press, but even that is a team function.

I know its not a popular opinion on this board, but craving a true point guard is an outdated thing given the way offenses are run.

Nailed it.. look at the NBA with Russ, Wall, Steph, IT, etc. 

50 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Good post.  And to repeat what has been stated before, Coach Ford has gone public (thru a Frank C interview) that he will use Roby, Goodwin and Bishop as his point guards by committee.  We are fine.  When Graves is eligible, he may or may not join that group.  Ford defined Graves on this radio show as a great shooter who can play both guard positions.  So Coach isn't necessarily looking at Graves to be his lead point guard.

And at the end of the season, my guess is that many MBM's will be shocked at the significant number of minutes Hines has accumulated.  It won't be as many as last season, but he won't be only mop up duty.

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Good post.  And to repeat what has been stated before, Coach Ford has gone public (thru a Frank C interview) that he will use Roby, Goodwin and Bishop as his point guards by committee.  We are fine.  When Graves is eligible, he may or may not join that group.  Ford defined Graves on this radio show as a great shooter who can play both guard positions.  So Coach isn't necessarily looking at Graves to be his lead point guard.

And at the end of the season, my guess is that many MBM's will be shocked at the significant number of minutes Hines has accumulated.  It won't be as many as last season, but he won't be only mop up duty.

I'm sorry, but if Hines plays any significant role this year then we will not be the team I am hoping we will be.  I don't have any problem with giving him the excess scholarship, but if he takes minutes from Goodwin, Bishop, Roby or Graves we will not be the team this  Board anticipates.

I'm just not sure there are enough minutes to go around if Ford sticks to his typical strategy of an 8 man rotation with a 9th guy to play based on foul trouble/matchups. Somebody has to ride the bench. It won't be a knock on their talent level. Who those 8/9 guys are, I have no clue. Ford's rotation might go pretty deep in November and December, but come mid-January, I have to think Ford will want to narrow down his rotation. 

5 hours ago, bauman said:

I'm sorry, but if Hines plays any significant role this year then we will not be the team I am hoping we will be.  I don't have any problem with giving him the excess scholarship, but if he takes minutes from Goodwin, Bishop, Roby or Graves we will not be the team this  Board anticipates.

factor in what slu13 said and yep