Josh Schertz hires first Assistant Coach

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

crop.webp.023f5fc3ba82f8a4e3ffe9cb31e696f9.webp

Zak Boisvert joined the GW men's basketball staff as an assistant coach in May 2022.

In his first year in Foggy Bottom, Boisvert was responsible for opponent's scouting. He helped lead the Buff & Blue to their most overall wins (16), most A-10 conference wins (10) and first winning league record since 2016-17.

Boisvert comes to D.C. with 11 years of coaching experience, most recently at Indiana State. A former student manager at Fordham, Boisvert has also spent time at Army West Point, Maine, Fairleigh Dickinson and Iona.

Boisvert has made his name primarily on the offensive end of the floor and in the development of point guards. During his five seasons at Army, Boisvert was key in developing Tommy Funk, one of the program's all-time great point guards. Funk averaged 17.5 ppg as a senior, earning First Team All-League honors while also shattering the Patriot League record with 728 career assists. 

The 2019-20 Black Knights, under Boisvert's guidance, ranked 12th in the country in assists per game and two-point percentage, while leading the Patriot League in field goal percentage.

Originally from Portland, Maine, Boisvert spent two years at the University of Maine. He assisted the Black Bears to a five-win improvement from his first year to his second with freshmen and sophomores accounting for nearly 70% of the team's offense in 2015-16. He was also tabbed as Maine's offensive coordinator, increasing the team's points per game from 60.4 ppg to 76.6, the largest scoring jump in Division I from 2014-15 to 2015-16.

The fact Tate is still on campus leads me to think he's going to be retained. Even if it's a Thorpe situation and it's only a year, I think it's good for transition purposes. I still think he adds value to the region especially with the to be senior class in STL.

willie likes this

16 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

The fact Tate is still on campus leads me to think he's going to be retained. Even if it's a Thorpe situation and it's only a year, I think it's good for transition purposes. I still think he adds value to the region especially with the to be senior class in STL.

Debriefing meetings as well

18 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

I agree- even though the local talent has dried up a bit, he is well liked and has connections, not just locally, but also with juco’s. Tate did recruit a lot of talent here. We’ll see if Schertz agrees. It’s his decision. There are so many staff positions now, I would think there could be a role for Tate for at least one more year.

20 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

Didn’t Frank say or infer a few weeks ago that we have a better chance of keeping Jimerson if Tate sticks around? 

creeping on the Tree Board a poster also spotted:

Rob Gardiner special assistant to the HC at ISU

Previously at LMU w/ Schertz and worked at Next College Student Athlete (which I'm unfamiliar with but another of the ACs worked there too)

https://gosycamores.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/staff/rob-gardiner/97

And

Grad Assistant Jason Fang who has a sweet haircut

https://gosycamores.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/staff/jason-fang/114

Boisvert's resume appears very good. Frankly I do not care if he moves his whole staff from ISU to SLU, even if this means that Ford's staff will be out of SLU soon, including Tate. I think the secret to a winning new coach is his coaching staff, and It looks that this may be Schertz way of looking at it as well. I look at Tate as a sort of a father figure for the team with local contacts and I am not sure what role he would have in a rebuilt team. I do hope to see a deep change for the better in our results for next year.

1 hour ago, crymdg2 said:

Looks like the assistants are set. 

Only if they are hired as full time assistant coaches. There are other staff positions and analyst roles he will fill.  Perhaps 1 or 2 of these will be those roles.  

Sure looks like Boisvert, Gray, and Gaetano are the three recruiting assistants, and Rob Gardiner will have a position similar to what he had at ISU (Special Assistant to the Head Coach).

brianstl likes this

1 hour ago, crymdg2 said:

Looks like the assistants are set. 

Maybe.  Pearl at Auburn has 5 assistant coaches of various titles and support staff consisting of Director of Player Development; Scouting; Operations; Sports Performance; Athletic Trainer and Assistant. 

VCU has 3 assistant coaches and the following support staff: Director of Operations; Video; Analytics; Coordinator of Player Personnel;  Director of Sports Performance; Assistant Director of Operations and 3 grad assistants. 

So there's probably more to come. 

13 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

creeping on the Tree Board a poster also spotted:

Rob Gardiner special assistant to the HC at ISU

Previously at LMU w/ Schertz and worked at Next College Student Athlete (which I'm unfamiliar with but another of the ACs worked there too)

https://gosycamores.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/staff/rob-gardiner/97

And

Grad Assistant Jason Fang who has a sweet haircut

https://gosycamores.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/staff/jason-fang/114

Word on the street, Fang high on Zhang

Just now, VeniceMenace said:

Word on the street, Fang high on Zhang

I'm hearing possible landing spot is with KSU's Tang.

VeniceMenace likes this

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

It makes sense to me that Schertz will wait for his third assistant to see if Graves gets the ISU job.

He is moving fast - I remember when Ford was hired it took some time to get his staff filled.

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

He is moving fast - I remember when Ford was hired it took some time to get his staff filled.

let's not forget the deal to become the billiken coach was likely struck weeks ago.   he likely knew who would more than likely accept and he could trust their silence throughout the NIT.   i.e. he didnt just approach and get a deal with those coaches yesterday.  

Just now, slufan13 said:

Staff is looking good so far. It makes a lot more sense on paper than Ford's coaching staff the final few years. 

my son pointed out all these coaches are very good x's and o's guys.   exactly the staff ford should have been bringing on his entire time at SLU as x's and o's were without a doubt ford's weakness.   

that said, it has been my business experience that most "managers" wont surround themselves with associates that will complete their "team" by strengthing their collective weaknesses.   they are more apt to find a worker bee or a yes person.   rather than "risk" bringing in the person that could take their job.   ironically imo that person that can "take their job" is the guy that if successful doesnt put the manager out of work as often as push the manager up to a higher level because the team succeeds.   a good manager is always looking to hire their replacement.  

49 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

my son pointed out all these coaches are very good x's and o's guys.   exactly the staff ford should have been bringing on his entire time at SLU as x's and o's were without a doubt ford's weakness.   

that said, it has been my business experience that most "managers" wont surround themselves with associates that will complete their "team" by strengthing their collective weaknesses.   they are more apt to find a worker bee or a yes person.   rather than "risk" bringing in the person that could take their job.   ironically imo that person that can "take their job" is the guy that if successful doesnt put the manager out of work as often as push the manager up to a higher level because the team succeeds.   a good manager is always looking to hire their replacement.  

A's hire A's, B's hire C's

Kinda reminding me of some good football staff hires I've seen like Kalen DeBoer getting these dudes that have been grinding it out at small schools with success, living basketball for the love of the game on basically teacher's salaries.