2024-25 Roster

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

We make it to the NCAA Tournament the money will be there, we make the second weekend. A lot more money will be there. 

That is correct but it will come gradually not in a single payment.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, slufan13 said:

I see it now. Elite 8 run. Big east comes calling. Schertz signs another extension. All the local car dealerships get into an extreme bidding war to be our official sponsor. The biggest donors pump in further NIL donations. We are a perennial top 15 team. 

Reckless optimism, but I like where your head is at. 

Billikitty7 likes this

51 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Disagree, it could absolutely flood in after a majorly successful campaign and it could absolutely be a single donor. 

I was talking about the $ 1 M per game played paid to teams in the NCAA tournament. This is sure to come. NIL money given by big donors is up to donors, nothing certain about this.

We just got another top player from Indiana State. Mya Glanton was the leading scorer and rebounder on the Indiana State women’s team, she’ll be playing her final year here at SLU for Coach Tillett. So technically, now 3 players from Indiana State. Another reason for the people on the Indiana State message boards to hate us.

If Schertz delivers the success we all want the Beast may become a real possibility, I’d see a renegotiation in his future if that were to happen. If we do land in the Beast, why would he want to leave unless some P5 makes an offer we just can’t/won’t match? I’m talking something north of $5mm. And unless I’m mistaken, there aren’t a lot of college hoops coaches making more than $5mm. There are FB coaches that make more than that but even then not all that many. 
There’s a lot at stake here for SLU, and I think the school has learned from its past mistakes. For those who may think getting in the Beast is not a big deal just imagine the crowds that would come when you’ve got schools like UConn, Marquette, X, et al coming to the Fetz every season. I think we’d make sure Coach Schertz is kept very happy and comfortable at SLU. 

I heard some sports talk show hosts talking about how 85% of all the money raised at MO will go to football and the remaining 15% will get divided between all the other sports including men's basketball.  They were suggesting that Gates should be looking to move on.  It got me thinking that if this is the trend at all big-time football schools then I could see that Men's BB coaches may not want to be at a big football school because eventually their sport will be starved.  So, what is their alternative - go to a non-big football school and those are basically the Big East or mid majors who spend on basketball.  A school like SLU could end up being an attractive place to be because ultimately, the big salaries coaches are getting now will have to be decreased.  I am not saying this will happen next year but systemic changes usually take a bit of time to kick in but kick in they do.

AGB91 and CenHudDude like this

7 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I heard some sports talk show hosts talking about how 85% of all the money raised at MO will go to football and the remaining 15% will get divided between all the other sports including men's basketball.  They were suggesting that Gates should be looking to move on.  It got me thinking that if this is the trend at all big-time football schools then I could see that Men's BB coaches may not want to be at a big football school because eventually their sport will be starved.  So, what is their alternative - go to a non-big football school and those are basically the Big East or mid majors who spend on basketball.  A school like SLU could end up being an attractive place to be because ultimately, the big salaries coaches are getting now will have to be decreased.  I am not saying this will happen next year but systemic changes usually take a bit of time to kick in but kick in they do.

The 85/15 split already exists.  And for good reason, the football expenses are that much higher.  There are 85 scholarship players in football. 

Boosting the overall athletic budget will increase their basketball budget accordingly.

20 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Guys I wasn't serious about the big east. Let's not derail again 

Good, because if past performance is indicative of future results:

1) It will take Schertz three seasons to achieve success instead of one

2) Sexual assault and/or immigration/eligibility issues will prevent us from having a full roster at various points

3) Schertz will immediately leave or die after reaching the NCAA tournament

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

If Schertz delivers the success we all want the Beast may become a real possibility, I’d see a renegotiation in his future if that were to happen. If we do land in the Beast, why would he want to leave unless some P5 makes an offer we just can’t/won’t match? I’m talking something north of $5mm. And unless I’m mistaken, there aren’t a lot of college hoops coaches making more than $5mm. There are FB coaches that make more than that but even then not all that many. 
There’s a lot at stake here for SLU, and I think the school has learned from its past mistakes. For those who may think getting in the Beast is not a big deal just imagine the crowds that would come when you’ve got schools like UConn, Marquette, X, et al coming to the Fetz every season. I think we’d make sure Coach Schertz is kept very happy and comfortable at SLU. 

Too many ifs in here. Let's get there first, then we can go ahead and fantasize about the future. All you get doing this is massive disappointment when we do fine or OK but not quite as well as you hoped.

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

2) Sexual assault and/or immigration/eligibility issues will prevent us from having a full roster at various points

You forgot Avila tearing an ACL and Jimerson ricking a kidney

54 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Too many ifs in here. Let's get there first, then we can go ahead and fantasize about the future. All you get doing this is massive disappointment when we do fine or OK but not quite as well as you hoped.

IF Is a conditional word. IF doesn’t happen then we’re back where we started. But if, IF does happen then we’d better have learned from our past mistakes. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

IF Is a conditional word. IF doesn’t happen then we’re back where we started. But if, IF does happen then we’d better have learned from our past mistakes. 

As Roger Whittaker sang:  “If’s an illusion________If is for children”.

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The 85/15 split already exists.  And for good reason, the football expenses are that much higher.  There are 85 scholarship players in football. 

Boosting the overall athletic budget will increase their basketball budget accordingly.

Well, this is not what the talk hosts said had existed.  The number of scholarships is not what they were talking about.  They were specifically referring to the money coming in from donors, TV money and other revenue sources.  Stadium improvements, salaries and NIL money being spent.  These people did not see what you are saying would happen regarding how the pie would be cut up.  

5 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Know you’re being sarcastic, but let’s not put this stuff into the universe…