President Fred Pestello to Retire in June 2025

Dear members of the SLU community,

On March 21, 2014, I was introduced to you as SLU’s 33rd president. It was one of the most thrilling and humbling days of my life.

Today, on the tenth anniversary of that joyful day, I write to share with you that I will step down from the presidency at the end of June 2025.

As I reflect upon the past decade, I am amazed at all we have endured and achieved together in St. Louis and in Madrid. We faced moments that tested us and revealed what defines this Jesuit university community. 

Just three months into my presidency, we responded to calls for racial justice by listening to our values and to one another, engaging in dialogue that led to the 2014 Clocktower Accords. This document, and the spirit in which it was composed, led to numerous initiatives to foster belonging and justice on our campus and beyond.  

Soon after, we addressed challenges at SLU Hospital by embarking on a transformative new partnership with SSM Health. Because of this partnership rooted in shared values, the new SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital opened its doors in September 2020. This grand opening marked a historic milestone in our ongoing efforts to expand access to cutting edge patient care as we educate the next generation of compassionate clinicians.

In that same fall of 2020, we brought the university community back to campus despite the uncertainty of the COVID-19 pandemic. We effectively managed our community’s health, learning in person without interruption for the remainder of the pandemic. We also distributed more than 20,000 vaccine doses to the campus and region, and entirely avoided the painful layoffs experienced across the higher education landscape.

There were many times in the last 10 years when the challenges we faced felt insurmountable. But together – grounded firmly in our values and trusting in the wisdom of this community – we found more than a way through. We created a new future for Saint Louis University.

We have become a more diverse and more international community. Our research profile has grown beyond what we could have imagined. We have broken every institutional fundraising and enrollment record. We built state-of-the-art campus facilities, and we are leading the dramatic transformation of Midtown St. Louis.

As an organization we are more data driven, transparent, and collaborative. And our board of trustees is more engaged, diverse, and impactful. 

Through it all we have never strayed from our core focus: preparing our students to become the compassionate, ethical leaders our alumni are known to be. We have built on the Jesuit tradition of rigorous education and care for the whole person, advancing innovation in academic programs and investing in University-wide efforts to support student well-being.

These achievements are your achievements. They are the result of our shared commitment to our mission, our vision, and our Ignatian way of proceeding.

The decision to leave this role was a difficult one. It was made over many months in conversation with Fran and in consultation with the leadership of SLU’s Board of Trustees, particularly my partner for the past decade, Chairman of the Board Joe Conran.

There is so much I will miss about this magnificent job. But just as I knew ten years ago that SLU would be my home, I know that it is time for a new leader to take the first step into a new era.

Between now and June 2025, there will be a robust national search for my successor and some period of transition. At the conclusion of my tenure as president, I plan to take a sabbatical. Then I hope to continue teaching, writing, and doing what I am asked to contribute to the success of the next leader of this remarkable university. 

There has not been a single day in my presidency when I did not thank God for the joy and honor of working for and with all of you – smart, compassionate, and dedicated Jesuits, faculty, staff, students, trustees, alumni, donors, and partners.

From the bottom of my heart and on behalf of Fran and my family, I thank you for the strong support and generous goodwill you have consistently shown us since March of 2014.  

May God bless you and Saint Louis University.

Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D.
President

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

He doesn’t probably get the credit he deserves from most people.  

I don't like to publicly make statements about the nonsports side of SLU on the board - but I agree with this statement.

He was President during a difficult time a Black Swan event and changes in higher education before that happened.  Those things forced hard decisions.  SLU, as far as I know, isn't in crazy debt like other schools and for the most part survived at about the same level SLU entered the period. So he was a steady hand.

I would like a visionary with good organizational skills to bring some improvement.

Also wouldn't mind going back to a Jesuit.  But looking at the landscape, I'm not sure who's out there.  Creighton's SJ President is older than Pestello as are many others.  Plus SJ's take a vow of poverty probably saving SLU $900k/year.

Fairfield University has laymen President, Nemec who might be a visionary type.

I didn't agree with some of the COVID measures and really didn't like when they instituted mandatory random room/apartment inspections for all a few years ago.  But I recognize BS like that was happening all over so SLU wasn't an outlier.

I'm hopeful SLU makes the right choice and May is soon to follow.

All I will remember Pestello for is railroading Jordan Goodwin for Situation #2.  The rest is moot, he took the easy way out and grouped him with the other 3 players.  Thankfully, Goodwin really wanted to be at SLU and came back after his “expulsion.”

JMM28 and billiken_roy like this

Dr Pestello had to concentrate on the academic side of things at SLU. He has done a great job in that regard, better than many schools have the last few years. Whoever the next president is will still have to work hard to keep SLU’s academic side going smoothly as the world changes.  Hope they find a great one. Best of luck to Dr Pestello in his retirement.

He was a good voice and the right person at the right time.  It cannot be easy following after Biondi.

I have plenty of things I could list that were not handled as well as I would have liked, but overall the University has continued to grow and establish a strong foundation.  Here is hoping his replacement can take his work and really accelerate the growth of the school.

18 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

He was President during a difficult time a Black Swan event and changes in higher education before that happened.  Those things forced hard decisions.  SLU, as far as I know, isn't in crazy debt like other schools and for the most part survived at about the same level SLU entered the period. So he was a steady hand.

I would like a visionary with good organizational skills to bring some improvement.

Also wouldn't mind going back to a Jesuit.  But looking at the landscape, I'm not sure who's out there.  Creighton's SJ President is older than Pestello as are many others.  Plus SJ's take a vow of poverty probably saving SLU $900k/year.

Fairfield University has laymen President, Nemec who might be a visionary type.

I didn't agree with some of the COVID measures and really didn't like when they instituted mandatory random room/apartment inspections for all a few years ago.  But I recognize BS like that was happening all over so SLU wasn't an outlier.

I'm hopeful SLU makes the right choice and May is soon to follow.

Jesuits get paid— their salary just goes to the Jesuit community they live in. So the $900K salary a president earns is given to the Jesuits living on campus. Same as a professor making $75K. A bit of a robbing Peter to pay Paul situation, but the university and the Jesuit community are separate entities. And the individual Jesuit shares their salary with their brother priests and scholastics. 

11 minutes ago, AMDG-Unit said:

Jesuits get paid— their salary just goes to the Jesuit community they live in. So the $900K salary a president earns is given to the Jesuits living on campus. Same as a professor making $75K. A bit of a robbing Peter to pay Paul situation, but the university and the Jesuit community are separate entities. And the individual Jesuit shares their salary with their brother priests and scholastics. 

Sounds like communism 

This is not the greatest of timing as some coaches might balk at accepting a job offer without knowing who the president is.  But I agree that Pestello will be missed.

4 minutes ago, aj_arete said:

This is not the greatest of timing as some coaches might balk at accepting a job offer without knowing who the president is.  But I agree that Pestello will be missed.

Doesn't go into effect until 6/2025. I understand your point, but at least it's not effective immediately.

aj_arete likes this

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Fund raise, fund raise, fund raise, can the new President raise money? And give a good speech on occasion?

I liked Pesty, always felt he kept a lid on things. Especially after the last decade of Bondi's tenure with all the drama (Law School, Public Health program, etc..).  Some of the MBB issues that came up. The growth of the endowment is commendable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_the_United_States_by_endowment

All universities are having problems but here is one from our sister institutions.

https://www.wpr.org/news/marquette-university-announces-impending-cuts-after-budget-shortfall

brianstl likes this

From my point of view, Pestello was a person that looked for consensus. Yet he managed to maintain SLU in a good financial status by cutting money losing programs. He improved the medical area by making the hospitals part of SSM and managed to maintain the student enrollment level and not lose ground when so many schools have done so. He also maintained the academic standards. All of this is good.

I think it is understandable that he could not give more time to the Athletic Department, he had bigger fish to fry. One thing I wonder about is whether or not we will see the departure of May before he leaves.

SLU_Lax likes this