• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, willie said:

Once upon a time SLU let Joe B Hall out of a contract. There is precident. If he doesn't want to come I see us saying OK. 

Those were honorable days. Days before the $$’s were small. Now the $$’s rule the day. It’s the Wild West out there a gold rush with back shooters and claim jumpers ( see UL). 
I have a suspicion that McCollum has been the backup guy all along. My reasoning: 

1) McCollum told MOSt your facilities suck. What D2 guy is gonna pass up a chance to make the jump to D1 over facilities? Schertz didn’t mind ISU’s facilities. 
2.) Schertz at the D2 level made the final 4 3 times yet never won it all. McCollum’s won 4 of them babies. 
3.) Obviously they both can coach and evaluate talent. Yet, neither has taken a team dancing. Schertz is 0-3. McCollum TBD at 0-0. 
4.) SLU knew they’d have to go  large for Schertz and his 4-5 players. Not so much with McCollum, maybe a $.5 mil less in salary. Plus, he may have a player or 2 to bring that wouldn’t require another $1mm or so to bring with him. D2 players have surprised at the D1 level.

5) There were rumors WVU was interested in McCollum. Who are we to ignore the interest of a previous successful B12 program in a D2 coach? 
6) Hoops is hoops. You can either coach it or you can’t. You can either motivate or you can’t. You can either recruit the right guys to your system or you can’t. 
7.) If May played UL and other P6’s like a fish to land the guy he wanted all along, McCollum, but wanted some P6 school to pay us, he’s a fricking genius and should challenge Sparkoff to a chess match. I don’t believe he did, but if he did give him a raise. 
😎Finally other D2 coaches have achieved much at the D1 level. See Schertz, Buelein, et al. McCollum seem to be a chip off the old block. 

If we get McCollum I won’t be disappointed. Although, I prefer Wade. 

3 minutes ago, kshoe said:

So are we rooting for or against ISU tonight?

I say against, time to get this thing truly finalized.

Root FOR ISU. (It is essentially rooting for our team. Plus TheOne says to root for ISU!)

Also, TheOne is like SLU's version of Trilly imo

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Those were honorable days. Days before the $$’s were small. Now the $$’s rule the day. It’s the Wild West out there a gold rush with back shooters and claim jumpers ( see UL). 
I have a suspicion that McCollum has been the backup guy all along. My reasoning: 

1) McCollum told MOSt your facilities suck. What D2 guy is gonna pass up a chance to make the jump to D1 over facilities? Schertz didn’t mind ISU’s facilities. 
2.) Schertz at the D2 level made the final 4 3 times yet never won it all. McCollum’s won 4 of them babies. 
3.) Obviously they both can coach and evaluate talent. Yet, neither has taken a team dancing. Schertz is 0-3. McCollum TBD at 0-0. 
4.) SLU knew they’d have to go  large for Schertz and his 4-5 players. Not so much with McCollum, maybe a $.5 mil less in salary. Plus, he may have a player or 2 to bring that wouldn’t require another $1mm or so to bring with him. D2 players have surprised at the D1 level.

5) There were rumors WVU was interested in McCollum. Who are we to ignore the interest of a previous successful B12 program in a D2 coach? 
6) Hoops is hoops. You can either coach it or you can’t. You can either motivate or you can’t. You can either recruit the right guys to your system or you can’t. 
7.) If May played UL and other P6’s like a fish to land the guy he wanted all along, McCollum, but wanted some P6 school to pay us, he’s a fricking genius and should challenge Sparkoff to a chess match. I don’t believe he did, but if he did give him a raise. 
😎Finally other D2 coaches have achieved much at the D1 level. See Schertz, Buelein, et al. McCollum seem to be a chip off the old block. 

If we get McCollum I won’t be disappointed. Although, I prefer Wade. 

I missed all the above while crafting this gem. 

6 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

After being away from this thread for more than 3 hours, and now catching up, my head and heart are going up and down like a yo yo.

Should have stayed away. It’s freaking me out. 

Just now, kshoe said:

So are we rooting for or against ISU tonight?

I say against, time to get this thing truly finalized.

Against for me.  ISU fans were really relishing our brief panic over Schertz, until they realized we’d get a way bigger buyout than they will. And there are still some that won’t accept that this MOA means he will be our coach next year.  Get it done. Get Schertz announced and working the transfer portal. 

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Against. They've gotten enough experience 

Plus has there been any example of a coach taking his ENTIRE starting lineup to his next job?  I could see him bringing 2, maybe 3 starters. I’d be (pleasantly) shocked if he brings 5+ guys.  So the “this is our team, root for them” logic doesn’t really work for me. Or at least doesn’t outweigh the benefits of getting Schertz announced officially, start recruiting, etc. 

55 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Disagree. we should be done choosing coaches based on who we think stays the longest. If Schertz comes with his guys, we are A10 favorites next season. Make a tournament, and if Schertz jumps we are a much more attractive landing spot for someone like Mack/whoever the next big MM coach is next season. 

You really don't want to be looking for a new coach in one year.  I am not talking about hiring someone who stays 8 or 10 years just one who will stay 3 years before he parlays it into a P 5 job.  All this will take is to start off with somebody who is glad to be here at least now and not feeling trapped.

3 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Plus has there been any example of a coach taking his ENTIRE starting lineup to his next job?  I could see him bringing 2, maybe 3 starters. I’d be (pleasantly) shocked if he brings 5+ guys.  So the “this is our team, root for them” logic doesn’t really work for me. Or at least doesn’t outweigh the benefits of getting Schertz announced officially, start recruiting, etc. 

Also their one and done experience is all at home and then Hinkle. Who cares? Just keep them healthy and bring them here by Easter 

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

You really don't want to be looking for a new coach in one year.  I am not talking about hiring someone who stays 8 or 10 years just one who will stay 3 years before he parlays it into a P 5 job.  All this will take is to start off with somebody who is glad to be here at least now and not feeling trapped.

If Schertz moves on after one year, it was a great year for SLU basketball. (FWIW I don’t think he leaves after one year) Anyway, I doubt Utah St. regrets hiring Sprinkle because he left after one year. They were decimated after Odom left, and he got them to R32 year one.  I see your point, and there’s some validity to it, but you hire the best coach for your program NOW, imo. You can’t worry about three years from now, especially in the era of college free agency for all. 

Littlebill likes this

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

If Schertz moves on after one year, it was a great year for SLU basketball. (FWIW I don’t think he leaves after one year) Anyway, I doubt Utah St. regrets hiring Sprinkle because he left after one year. They were decimated after Odom left, and he got them to R32 year one.  I see your point, and there’s some validity to it, but you hire the best coach for your program NOW, imo. You can’t worry about three years from now, especially in the era of college free agency for all. 

great post.  (Im out of reactions today.)  we are in a different time.   who knows how this is going to spin out.   we better win big asap.   i have the feeling we are headed to a very ugly split of D1.   

I’m officially looking ahead to next years team and guys, we’re gonna be good if the starting 5 comes, Gibby returns, Thames and Larry and one big stay. Looks like a pretty improved team from what ISU was this year. Much much better at the 6-8 spot at least