SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Candidates

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Schertz wants the job. Many fans want Schertz. He's for once an ascending guy. He has a high ceiling. The floor can't get much lower. Give him the job. 

i agree.  if we got the resources, go get him.   when i was recruited a number of years back by a competitor, they asked, "what will it take to get you to say yes today?"   i told them, they complied and i had a new employer.   do the same Saint Louis University.   it isnt that hard.   dont make this more of a chore than it is.   at the level we are recruiting what deep vetting is really needed.   hell we have all did deep research on Josh Schertz already.  go get him.  

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m already getting buckets of popcorn to munch on while watching the free for all on this board when SLU hires Ahearn. It’s 100% a SLU move.

Just now, billikenbill said:

I’m already getting buckets of popcorn to munch on while watching the free for all on this board when SLU hires Ahearn. It’s 100% a SLU move.

dont even suggest in jest that this would happen.   there is no way ahearn should even think he can be the slu head coach.   he needs to go put his time in as a head coach on a lower level.   go coach DeSmet.   go coach a Juco.   go be an assistant at a mid major.   i wouldnt even think he could do that yet without some lower experience first, but i do admit he is a shooting coach.   so he has a known skill to pass on.   but what does he know about running an entire team and all the moving parts of such.   it is more than rolling the balls out and telling the boys to go get em.   no no no way the slu elites that will make this decision are this stupid to hire a guy that has never been a head coach or even a high level D1 asstl

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i agree.  if we got the resources, go get him.   when i was recruited a number of years back by a competitor, they asked, "what will it take to get you to say yes today?"   i told them, they complied and i had a new employer.   do the same Saint Louis University.   it isnt that hard.   dont make this more of a chore than it is.   at the level we are recruiting what deep vetting is really needed.   hell we have all did deep research on Josh Schertz already.  go get him.  

But what if another employer got into the bidding war for roy and they had even more to offer? Not just money, but opportunities for professional advancement. I bet you would carefully consider that option as well. That's the challenge if a P6 team gets in the mix. Better hope ISU does not get in the Tourney - and if they win a game or two... you can probably forget about it. An NIT bid and early exit from the NIT would play greatly to SLU's advantage. 

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

dont even suggest in jest that this would happen.   there is no way ahearn should even think he can be the slu head coach.   he needs to go put his time in as a head coach on a lower level.   go coach DeSmet.   go coach a Juco.   go be an assistant at a mid major.   i wouldnt even think he could do that yet without some lower experience first, but i do admit he is a shooting coach.   so he has a known skill to pass on.   but what does he know about running an entire team and all the moving parts of such.   it is more than rolling the balls out and telling the boys to go get em.   no no no way the slu elites that will make this decision are this stupid to hire a guy that has never been a head coach or even a high level D1 asstl

This reminds me when those PHL coaches all wanted the SLU job

billiken_roy likes this

9 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

The SLU move would be to hire Weber and give him a crap ton of money and Ahearn as head coach in waiting, and give him a bunch of money.  

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

But what if another employer got into the bidding war for roy and they had even more to offer? Not just money, but opportunities for professional advancement. I bet you would carefully consider that option as well. That's the challenge if a P6 team gets in the mix. Better hope ISU does not get in the Tourney - and if they win a game or two... you can probably forget about it. An NIT bid and early exit from the NIT would play greatly to SLU's advantage. 

the question was what would it take to say yes now.   i already had everything that you suggest in hand to make the decision.   so will Josh Schertz.   he has already talked to a number of suitors.  so he knows what he can get.   ask him what he wants.   

2 minutes ago, TRN said:

The SLU move would be to hire Weber and give him a crap ton of money and Ahearn as head coach in waiting, and give him a bunch of money.  

shouldnt this be in blue?

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I did not expect to be live on 590 for 15 minutes when I woke up today, but here we are.

Sucks that Zac had to deal with Slaten and I got a more level headed guy who let me speak and didn't try to catch me off guard.

The guy you talked to still pissed me off to listen to lol, like he was breaking some new ground that SLU fans are too dumb to realize how great Blake Ahearn would be 🤪🤪

31 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the question was what would it take to say yes now.   i already had everything that you suggest in hand to make the decision.   so will Josh Schertz.   he has already talked to a number of suitors.  so he knows what he can get.   ask him what he wants.   

IF all things are equal among offers, he may want his best chance of landing at-large bids... and if that's the case, it would be with a P6 job. That's the unfortunate reality.

He just put up a 28-6 record in essentially a 1-2 bid league and is sweating out whether or not he gets in the Dance - why would he go to another (A-10), if he had a chance to go to a 4-6 team bid league?  IF there are no P6 offers, then this opportunity looks a lot better.

6 minutes ago, ACE said:

IF all things are equal among offers, he may want his best chance of landing at-large bids... and if that's the case, it would be with a P6 job. That's the unfortunate reality.

He just put up a 28-6 record in essentially a 1-2 bid league and is sweating out whether or not he gets in the Dance - why would he go to another (A-10), if he had a chance to go to a 4-6 team bid league?  IF there are no P6 offers, then this opportunity looks a lot better.

What's this weird notion that certain leagues get a certain number of bids and that's just that. Five years ago this was a "Three Bid League." For all the bitching about NET, the "mid-major" Mountain West is getting more teams in the Dance than the ACC & the Pac-12. The A-10 is getting two teams in this year. And if Indiana St. hand't lost every Q-1 game they played, they'd be in. 

If you don't win your conference, you're competing for an at-large bid with every other team in the country. If you want have a chance, play a tough OOC and actually win the games against the teams who will play you. SLU got to play Auburn three years in a row and lost every time.

All this talk of "we're in the A-10 so we have a 1/14 chance of a bid every year" is just loser talk. Dayton will get a bid because they deserve it. So will Gonzaga. Teams like Boston College don't feel their odds are better in the ACC. They haven't made the tourney in fifteen years. 

billikenfan05 likes this

1 minute ago, Crewsorlose said:

What's this weird notion that certain leagues get a certain number of bids and that's just that. Five years ago this was a "Three Bid League." For all the bitching about NET, the "mid-major" Mountain West is getting more teams in the Dance than the ACC & the Pac-12. The A-10 is getting two teams in this year. And if Indiana St. hand't lost every Q-1 game they played, they'd be in. 

If you don't win your conference, you're competing for an at-large bid with every other team in the country. If you want have a chance, play a tough OOC and actually win the games against the teams who will play you. SLU got to play Auburn three years in a row and lost every time.

All this talk of "we're in the A-10 so we have a 1/14 chance of a bid every year" is just loser talk. Dayton will get a bid because they deserve it. So will Gonzaga. Teams like Boston College don't feel their odds are better in the ACC. They haven't made the tourney in fifteen years. 

Yeah, that was FIVE years ago. A lot has changed in the college basketball landscape. See my other thread about the Mountain West. It's no longer a "mid-major." Big public universities are doing just fine in the NIL era, and will slide right in as one of the P6 as the Pac 12 dissolves. Gonzaga, St. Mary's and Dayton figure to be the only three at-large schools from leagues that don't have football. Let that sink in. This is where it has been trending in the NIL/free agency era.

The A-10 is ONLY getting in two teams because Dayton lost in the conference tournament. It's a one at-large bid league.

25 minutes ago, ACE said:

A10 has been on a downward trend, but since 2014 we've averaged 2.7 bids, MVC at 1.3. Their multi bid years included teams like Creighton, Wichita State and Loyola, who are no longer there.

4 minutes ago, billikens747 said:

A10 has been on a downward trend, but since 2014 we've averaged 2.7 bids, MVC at 1.3.

Yep, also a one at-large bid last year too. The college landscape has changed a great deal in just a few years, and it hasn't been good for basketball only conferences. This outlines some of the challenges. 

https://www.providencejournal.com/story/sports/college/2023/10/18/last-season-only-vcu-reached-the-ncaa-tournament-from-the-atlantic-10/71227690007/

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

hahahahahaha

those spartan fans sure love their guys.   for the life of me, how can ahearn expect to be a coach at a school as high up the ladder as an A10 school when he has never been a head coach?   if he wants to be a head coach, maybe he should start out coaching DeSmet, then after 4 or five state championships he can go coach a juco or D3 school.   then another 4 or 5 years of top success he can look at a low D1 school and then another few years of 20+ wins and conference championships he can look at the SLU opening sometime around 2045.  

Ha I'm blocked as well #blessed

3 hours ago, TRN said:

The podcast is on the 590 site under the Verdict with Lucas.

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/the-verdict-with-nate-lucas/

Nate quotes the Big Lebowski as a way to I guess dig at Peter for having an opinion, while Nate’s entire premise is just based on “trust me bro, he’s an NBA assistant with connections”.  Just classic stuff lol

47 minutes ago, laker119 said:

Nate quotes the Big Lebowski as a way to I guess dig at Peter for having an opinion, while Nate’s entire premise is just based on “trust me bro, he’s an NBA assistant with connections”.  Just classic stuff lol

Dude yeah he even called it the "Great Lebowski" didn't he? He was painful as fouk to listen to.

44 minutes ago, laker119 said:

Just listened to this segment.  I guess they let just about anyone host a radio show these days.

Given my recent blood pressure issues I'm not even going to attempt listening to Zac's segment with Slaten but good lord, this guy's hot takes and condescending tone was almost too much to take.   @Pistol is a true American for showing patience and not talking to this guy like he's a 5 year-old.

laker119 likes this

47 minutes ago, laker119 said:

I listened he's not the worst but this "connection to the community" being so important is not something you hear often in coaching searches.

Quick Summary Nate Lucas Position: Ahearn is good as he was a NBA assistant, Popavich recommends him and he and his family have deep connections in the community. The connections in the community will help with NIL. The other names besides Will Wade don't excite him.  There's no guarantee that they'll win. His family connections to St. Louis mean that he'll stay at St. Louis and won't use it as a stepping stone like other coaches would. Was critical of May on NIL and hiring a search firm (so I like that).

Pistol position:  Yes there are no guarantees that any of the candidates that win however, Ahearn is a bigger risk as he has never coached in college. College coaching requires managing a lot of things he hasn't done. He gave examples of Juwon Howard and Jerry Stackhouse being fired recently. His choice would be Schertz who has been successful as a college coach. Feels Ahearn is being pushed simply because he went to HS in STL which is not a good reason. Feels that Wade would be a good choice as well.

Pistol represented himself and the majority sentiment of this board well. I'm in on Schertz, I've really been thinking a lot about the offense he runs and studying up on it and I think it would be fun to watch. He's obviously recruited well to the system. Jimmerson can fit in the system today and would light it up next year. I just hear him connected to about 5 openings.

9 hours ago, brianstl said:

A big name leaving a big name school for a big name job opening still just means there is one big name job opening. It doesn’t change  the number of spots to be filled.  The thing we don’t need is someone like an Indiana changing their mind on retaining their coach or a bunch of surprise retirements.

I’m no Wiz at math but if coach A leaves for Job B then Coach A’s seat needs to be filled and if Coach C fills the seat of Coach A then Coach C’s seat is open and on and on the carousel spins. It’s not about one school retaining a coach, it’s more about who replaces who and so on. I think it’s grows exponentially, but I’ll let our Wiz deal with the math.