SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Candidates

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many jobs out there are better than the SLU job currently? Louisville, Michigan, Washington, Ohio St (3 big ten teams for next year) for sure. Oklahoma St has money but kind of seems like a dead spot. Stanford is a good job but requires a unique candidate. West Virginia is just pretty meh. I would definitely not put Vandy ahead of SLU. This is currently a top 5 job on the market. Go get a stud. 

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

He gets Kevin’s ccck hard

I only caught Slaten calling you a moron after you were on, but did listen to Peter with the other guy. He at least let Peter talk between his aggressive lobbying for Blake.

I did not expect to be live on 590 for 15 minutes when I woke up today, but here we are.

Sucks that Zac had to deal with Slaten and I got a more level headed guy who let me speak and didn't try to catch me off guard.

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Trilly private discord

Okay, I saw Trilly say that Schertz was "the favorite,"  but that could be from the SLU perspective - he could be at the top of SLU's list, but that doesn't necessarily mean the feeling is mutual. Was there something indicating his interest in the job?

Just now, ACE said:

Okay, I saw Trilly say that Schertz was "the favorite,"  but that could be from the SLU perspective - he could be at the top of SLU's list, but that doesn't necessarily mean the feeling is mutual. Was there something indicating his interest in the job?

Yes just not tweeted

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I did not expect to be live on 590 for 15 minutes when I woke up today, but here we are.

Sucks that Zac had to deal with Slaten and I got a more level headed guy who let me speak and didn't try to catch me off guard.

Well, what did you say?

9 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I missed some of it, did he give a reason for not liking the idea of Schertz? I heard him say that he didn't want some young up-and-comer generically, but Schertz is not that. Nobody should have to deal with Slaten, just a complete a$$hole. I am pretty confident that Blake and Troy Slaten would have played together back in the day on a team called the Celtics, included the Oppland twins as well.

16 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

How many jobs out there are better than the SLU job currently? Louisville, Michigan, Washington, Ohio St (3 big ten teams for next year) for sure. Oklahoma St has money but kind of seems like a dead spot. Stanford is a good job but requires a unique candidate. West Virginia is just pretty meh. I would definitely not put Vandy ahead of SLU. This is currently a top 5 job on the market. Go get a stud. 

I don't disagree that SLU is a top job, but the conference affiliation is still there. Vandy being in the SEC is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> A10. That alone puts it ahead of SLU, imo. 

Bizziken and David King like this

4 minutes ago, TRN said:

Well, what did you say?

A lot, actually.

Just now, TheChosenOne said:

I missed some of it, did he give a reason for not liking the idea of Schertz? I heard him say that he didn't want some young up-and-comer generically, but Schertz is not that.

Nothing too specific. Mostly just that the "Indiana State coach doesn't move the needle much for me" but he didn't seem to know a whole lot about Schertz in particular.

I feel good about how it went. Feel like I made my points.

Hopefully people can go back and listen later if they're interested (I know nothing about 590 or its app or whatever).

10 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I think the large majority of P6 positions are viewed as superior to SLU, though I agree with your take on Vandy. But perhaps the bigger issue is that the pool of HC candidates isn't fixed. A "stud" candidate can simply choose to stay at his current job (probably with a substantial pay raise) if he doesn't see the value in leaving for SLU right now (e.g., SLU isn't enough of a step up, or he thinks a better opportunity will present itself in the future). We're playing against the field of current openings + the field of potential openings over the next ~year.

TaLBErt likes this

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Anyway to listen?

6 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I don't disagree that SLU is a top job, but the conference affiliation is still there. Vandy being in the SEC is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> A10. That alone puts it ahead of SLU, imo. 

Vandy basketball feels like a slightly lesser version than DePaul basketball. Great school, great area, bad basketball 

7 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Let me preface this by saying I love SLU.  I have 2 degrees from SLU and I really want SLU to succeed. However, there is no coach that is a SLU grad that shares your and my sentiment toward SLU. So an objective evaluation of the program includes conference, booster support, facilities, history, AD, income TV/conference.  In that objective analysis all those schools are in better conferences that make more money, probably have equal or better facilities, all have better histories and have as much or more booster support.  So in the pecking order I'd put SLU after those but like you said Stanford is kinda different.

I think we want Schertz at this point. These big time schools Michigan/UofL are going to want coaches with big time resumes so Schertz maybe their fall back option. I wonder if Shaka is a consideration for Michigan? Is Otzelberger at ISU on the Michigan list? There are more dominoes to fall.  Michigan takes Otzelberger who do they go after? 

2010andBeyond and Bizziken like this

3 hours ago, jonny karate said:

Kevin slaten went on 15 minute angry rant saying Blake Ahearn is slu only option and noone should considered. 

I have had personal experience with Slaten.  I would let him clean my dog's turds up in my yard.

stmdragons likes this

21 minutes ago, Pistol said:

A lot, actually.

Nothing too specific. Mostly just that the "Indiana State coach doesn't move the needle much for me" but he didn't seem to know a whole lot about Schertz in particular.

I feel good about how it went. Feel like I made my points.

Hopefully people can go back and listen later if they're interested (I know nothing about 590 or its app or whatever).

The podcast is on the 590 site under the Verdict with Lucas.

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/the-verdict-with-nate-lucas/

Pistol likes this

8 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I have had personal experience with Slaten.  I would let him clean my dog's turds up in my yard.

I’d rather let my dog’s turds lie there instead of letting Slaten on my property. 

The guy’s argument for Ahern because he’s local and has family here is a bad argument.  People leave all the time, I grew up in Nebraska and their AD (Trev Alberts) just left for A&M.  His F’ing name is up on the stadium and jersey is retired.  This hot take radio guy is dumb.

3 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Coaching Carousel Tracker and Candidate Thoughts

UofL-Targets per Norlander of CBS Sports, Baylor's Scott Drew, FAU's Dusty May, USF's Amir Abdur-Rahim and Indiana State's Josh Schertz

tOSU-per CBS Sports writers possible targets Bruce Pearl (Auburn), Mick Cronin (UCLA), Dusty May (FAU)

OSU- per Norlander targets Texas A&M's Buzz Williams (not sure why he’d leave an SEC school in fertile recruiting territory for this job), Drake's Darian DeVries and USF's Amir Abdur-Rahim

UW-rumored to be hiring D. Sprinkle but haven’t heard anything new on that lately and Kyle Smith (WSU) mentioned as a candidate and maybe Leon Rice of Boise St

Vandy-likely hiring Mack, Norlander also mentions Colgate coach Matt Langel, Princeton coach Mitch Henderson, and Indiana State coach Josh Schertz.

WVU- haven’t seen any names mentioned in association with this one, they have basketball history, rabid fanbase, in the toughest conference

Non P6 that matter to SLU due to region or status

SIUC- Norlander says he’s heard 10 names connected to this opening but didn’t write any of them. So who knows.

SMS- rumors are it’s McCollum

So looking at the above we can use it to analyze our candidate list.

• Josh Schertz - Indiana State: Top target at this time but also a candidate at numerous other schools that would be more attractive than SLU. But UofL fans would see it as a bad hire. We have to wait until Selection Sunday and possibly after the tournament and after some big school dominoes fall UofL, etc
  • Chris Mack – Looks like he’s headed to Vandy at this time but I wouldn’t put him out of the running at UW or tOSU.
  • Porter Moser – Says he’s staying put at OU.
  • Darian DeVries – Suspiciously quiet? But he has to be as he’s for sure in the NCAA tournament needs to focus. Would his son stay 1 more season or go pro? Probably going P6
  • Brian Wardle – Bradley, his name isn’t showing up in the coaching searches maybe because he’s only been in the NCAA or NIT first round (sound familiar?) he did finish first in the MVC last season. Could be fall back option #3. He reportedly makes $708,000.
  • Blake Ahearn - Memphis Grizzlies (assistant) seems to want the job, pushed by one prominent booster that may or may not have good salad dressing.
  • Mike Brey - Atlanta Hawks (assistant), resigned from ND after a bad season, had ND ranked 2nd in the ACC in 21-22, has been in the NCAA a lot with quite a few deep runs. I don’t hear him mentioned in any of the coaching searches so maybe there’s no competition for him.
  • Dustin Kerns - Appalachian State is always a feeder school to the SEC and southern ACC schools.  If Bruce Pearl gets poached look for Auburn to hire this guy. Or this could possibly be WVUs guy.
  • Bruce Weber – Retired, why? Just why?
  • Mark Byington - James Madison has been making a lot of good choices lately and they moved up in conference and still improved on the floor. Limited experience but intriguing up and comer.
  • Bryce Drew - Grand Canyon, family name that’s doing well at GCU that flamed out spectacularly at Vandy so maybe the mid-major level is his sweet spot?
  • Ben McCollum - Northwest Missouri State, all he does is win but can he do it with taller more athletic DI players that get paid in the NIL, transfer portal era? We don’t know.
  • Mike Morrell - UNC Asheville which is a great town kinda like Austin in that people from the north are moving there and slowly ruining it for everyone. Anyway, this guy is from the Shaka Smart coaching tree VCU then UT, and is doing well. Could be a solid up and comer, I know nothing about his system just the results and they’re pretty good.
  • Chester Frazier - Illinois (assistant) UI is a darkhorse final 4 team this year. That’s all I know.
  • Bucky McMillan – Samford small school with no history and this dude is fun. They press non-stop and this guy is from Birmingham, AL and never left. If dominoes fall and App St. coach moves on this guy is a candidate there for sure.
  • Jake Diebler - Ohio State (interim) doing pretty well but how would he do with guys he has to recruit?
  • Preston Spradlin - Morehead State has won the OVC and that’s all I know about this guy besides he’s from the Calipari tree and even worked with Cal on the Dominican Republic Staff so we can lockdown DR recruiting.
  • DeAndre Haynes - Marquette (assistant), Marq is doing really well and other Shaka guys have gone on to do well.
  • Chris Holtmann - Fired by Ohio State - DePaul
  • Dusty May - Florida Atlantic, I think he’s going to a big time school.  I don’t think this is a realistic option for SLU right now.
  • Pat Kelsey – Charleston locked him down with a big buyout so probably not realistic for SLU to pay Ford $10mil then pay the $6mil buyout for Kelsey. He’d be great but that money means he’s going P6 level.
  • Danny Sprinkle - Utah State only 1 year? Sorry USU, looks like UW but who knows may
  • Tom Crean – Retired just why?
  • Chris Carrawell - Duke (assistant), I heard he’s a Cardinals fan and met Willie McGee one time so we should lock him up now.
  • Chris Harriman - SLU (assistant), dig the accent but besides being with Majerus he’s been on the staff of some bad programs.
  • Cuonzo Martin – Retired, another retread who didn’t really get it done at his last stop plus I hate SPUMAC and SPUMAC adjacent things.
  • Joe Gallo – Merrimack come on man really?

Tier 1 Likely option: Schertz

Fall back options: Brey

Tier 2 options: Mike Morrel, Preston Spradlin, McCollum

My out of left field candidate Dave Smart former Carleton University (Canada) Head Coach now an assistant at TTU (which had a very good year in the B12) he was an 18 season HC. Carleton beat some good NCAA D1 teams on occasion.

https://texastech.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/dave-smart/3927

https://newsroom.carleton.ca/story/can-am-shootout-results/

Thanks

40 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Chris Mack thing

Don't think that's realistic, but doesn't hurt to start there and take your shot. Maybe if he gets passed over for some other jobs, he comes around.