Latest Ford Rumor

45 minutes ago, dlarry said:

They’ll get left out so a under 500 big ten team can get in.

You give U of Minnesota the exact same resume and they get a 4 seed. 

I hate the committee and think that midmajors get shafted a lot.  Problem with this statement is a 500 Minnesota team won’t have 40% of its games against quad 4 teams.

But if your going to use this metric the NCAA should mandate these power 5 schools have to do home and home series with theses smaller schools.  

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're hiring Schertz a NCAA snub may actually be good for SLU. Schertz could move sooner and the NIL value of the players doesn't grow as much because they don't play in the NCAA.  Avila and Swope tearing it up in the tournament may make them too expensive.

I really like Schertz's 5 out offense with a lot of zoom action.  More common in the NBA.  Opens up lanes to drive and open perimeter shots. Does require a C that can pass, move a little with the ball.  

31 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

If we're hiring Schertz a NCAA snub may actually be good for SLU. Schertz could move sooner and the NIL value of the players doesn't grow as much because they don't play in the NCAA.  Avila and Swope tearing it up in the tournament may make them too expensive.

I really like Schertz's 5 out offense with a lot of zoom action.  More common in the NBA.  Opens up lanes to drive and open perimeter shots. Does require a C that can pass, move a little with the ball.  

also, less chance for the sentimental "lets finish what we started" im staying at ISU move

8 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

if this man coaches tomorrow, im going to be upset. 

You're using the word coach wrong

NextYearBill likes this

25 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

if this man coaches tomorrow, im going to be upset. 

I get this, I really do and I’m not arguing why they are waiting or what they are waiting for. But there seem to be benchmarks. He traveled with the team to Brooklyn and they didn’t fire him the next day, he is at this point going to coach tomorrow if he so chooses wether or not he’s fired today. He could get fired today, but he’ll be coaching. Just like they aren’t going to announce the firing between a win tomorrow and Wednesday. 

Yeah for whatever reason they decided to let Ford see out the rest of the year. It's no big deal really other than the typical SLU mindset of not being proactive. The real key will be if we go to bed the night our season ends and he is still employed. Because at that point you'll just be paying him to do nothing. Hell you'll be paying him to recruit kids to whatever his next school is. 

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I get this, I really do and I’m not arguing why they are waiting or what they are waiting for. But there seem to be benchmarks. He traveled with the team to Brooklyn and they didn’t fire him the next day, he is at this point going to coach tomorrow if he so chooses wether or not he’s fired today. He could get fired today, but he’ll be coaching. Just like they aren’t going to announce the firing between a win tomorrow and Wednesday. 

He's coaching until he losses.  This is the most common approach in college basketball. I firmly believe all the talk about it happening Saturday / Sunday was due to the fact that most assumed we would have lost on the road to the Bonnies. We didn't, and it saved him a few days.  Nothing more, nothing less imo. 

I'm sure Ford already knows his fate. I'd rather see Harriman coach them in Brooklyn (although I understand there are reasons Ford might still have to be the HC until we stop playing).

We know we can beat Rhode Island and we could very well take out Duquesne, too. The game against Dayton would be Thursday night. Can you imagine this announcement being dragged into the weekend?

Dr Bird likes this

Just now, Pistol said:

I'm sure Ford already knows his fate. I'd rather see Harriman coach them in Brooklyn.

We know we can beat Rhode Island and we could very well take out Duquesne, too. The game against Dayton would be Thursday night. Can you imagine this announcement being dragged into the weekend?

God I hope not but if they are also waiting to see what happens with ISU then who knows it could go into the following week.

8 minutes ago, ACE said:

Historically, SLU has not exactly been quick in their hiring.

Majerus hired on April 30

Crews hired on April 12

Ford hired on March 29

Correct, but this is a whole new era unlike when those 3 were hired. Practically a different sport now. 

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

Even in those eras it was way too slow - Majerus had no chance to recruit for his first season. 

Its what scares me, thinking the landscape is the same because they're so out of touch 

23 minutes ago, ACE said:

Historically, SLU has not exactly been quick in their hiring.

Majerus hired on April 30

Crews hired on April 12

Ford hired on March 29

I'd be interested in seeing when other programs actually hire their coaches this season.  Firing a guy and then taking two months to fill the position isn't a good look either.

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Yeah for whatever reason they decided to let Ford see out the rest of the year. It's no big deal really other than the typical SLU mindset of not being proactive. The real key will be if we go to bed the night our season ends and he is still employed. Because at that point you'll just be paying him to do nothing. Hell you'll be paying him to recruit kids to whatever his next school is. 

I’m not so sure schools will be knocking on his door unless it’s really a low mid. P6’s couldn’t stand their fans outcry if a biggie hired him. It’s either a downgrade or the broadcast booth. 

15 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I’m not so sure schools will be knocking on his door unless it’s really a low mid. P6’s couldn’t stand their fans outcry if a biggie hired him. It’s either a downgrade or the broadcast booth. 

A lot of these coaches in Ford situation will take an assistant job. Being that recruiting not what it used to be or his inability to develop players, he may have tough time in that market.

Maybe he's on the phone with his buddy Pitino hoping for a job at St John's.

43 minutes ago, ACE said:

Even in those eras it was way too slow - Majerus had no chance to recruit for his first season. 

Yeah each of those dates was too late in that era. I can't even imagine waiting until the end of the month in the current era. History says we should be worried but I'm hoping we get this one right. 

Soderball likes this

2 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

A lot of these coaches in Ford situation will take an assistant job. Being that recruiting not what it used to be or his inability to develop players, he may have tough time in that market.

Maybe he's on the phone with his buddy Pitino hoping for a job at St John's.

Maybe Kentucky can hire him. Who cares.

Just get him out of here.

46 minutes ago, ACE said:

This is the kind of performance we come to expect from SLU - sadly.

35 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'd be interested in seeing when other programs actually hire their coaches this season.  Firing a guy and then taking two months to fill the position isn't a good look either.

I’d rather SLU take a little bit of time and get it right than rush.