More evidence of the evolving impact of NIL ...

25 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I'll just add that I used to think facilities really mattered back in the UB days. I was dead-to-rights wrong. I was horribly wrong. I had no idea what I was talking about. I have learned and I am learning. Facilities are for donors and egos and sometimes for fans. They mean nothing for the quality on the floor.

You weren't wrong in the Soderberg days. West Pine was atrocious. Facilities still matter in that case. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

You weren't wrong in the Soderberg days. West Pine was atrocious. Facilities still matter in that case. 

i agree.   a school will still need to be able to present a front of nice facilites and amenities to land the portal players that can make a difference.   their priorities will likely be 1.  how much will i get paid?   2.  what exposure can i get being on the team i select and will the team win?  3.  how much will i play to give me a chance to show my talent?  4.  what does the actual school present.  after that the bonuses likely drop off.  

21 hours ago, ARon said:

Since when has Loyola of LA been competitive in any sports?

LMU has won 8 WCC Titles in the past five years. They are the defending WCC Baseball Champions. Their Beach Volleyball program for example, has made 2 Final Fours and an Elite 8 the past 3 seasons. Over half a dozen of their teams have made the NCAA Tourney within the past five years. 

Some other similar non Power 5 schools are doing similar things, reducing/removing scholarships in some sports to concentrate on a smaller number of other sports programs based also on geography. program success, league affiliation, among other things. 

13 minutes ago, courtside said:

LMU has won 8 WCC Titles in the past five years. They are the defending WCC Baseball Champions. Their Beach Volleyball program for example, has made 2 Final Fours and an Elite 8 the past 3 seasons. Over half a dozen of their teams have made the NCAA Tourney within the past five years. 

Some other similar non Power 5 schools are doing similar things, reducing/removing scholarships in some sports to concentrate on a smaller number of other sports programs based also on geography. program success, league affiliation, among other things. 

How many sports do you have to participate in to be division 1? 

5 hours ago, Brighton said:

Yup. Which is what Lindenwood did and got excoriated by those who don’t get it. I’ll say it again, they’re a sleeping giant in the local college sports picture.

I agree.  They could pass us in hoops if they spend money on it. But I don't get killing gymnastics. That was a huge program and they actually got some revenue out of it. The others are not shocking

36 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

I agree.  They could pass us in hoops if they spend money on it. But I don't get killing gymnastics. That was a huge program and they actually got some revenue out of it. The others are not shocking

If they pass us in hoops, maybe we could rent Chaifetz out to them for their home games.  This could raise funds for the Billikens.

On 1/27/2024 at 8:01 AM, JMM28 said:

This makes zero sense. How does NIL or students transferring have anything to do with these sports? 

Their administration decided to blast the scapegoat du jour for their decision to drop programs that generate $0 revenue. Thats all. Why can’t they just say that?

Boosters whose donations were keeping those programs afloat now want to contribute directly to NIL for Loyola's basketball team.  This is not rocket science.  NIL collectives donations are way up and, subsequently, donations directly to athletic programs are way down.

1 hour ago, CenHudDude said:

If they pass us in hoops, maybe we could rent Chaifetz out to them for their home games.  This could raise funds for the Billikens.

Actually i believe saint louis university leases the arena to a company in New York?   the billikens get first right of refusal on all available dates, but they have to pay rent to the new york company as well.   i.e. any rent derived from leasing to another unversity would be no direct money in saint louis university's pocket.

42 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Actually i believe saint louis university leases the arena to a company in New York?   the billikens get first right of refusal on all available dates, but they have to pay rent to the new york company as well.   i.e. any rent derived from leasing to another unversity would be no direct money in saint louis university's pocket.

I thought all they did was sign a contract for the operations.  We are still paying the bonds off so why would we set up a situation where we are paying twice - for the bonds and rent.  

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Thanks. B’Roy.  So the Billikens get nothing out of their investment in the arena other than their right of first refusal on dates?

36 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

Thanks. B’Roy.  So the Billikens get nothing out of their investment in the arena other than their right of first refusal on dates?

i dont know the specifics.   my guess is the total of what saint louis university gets for the total lease is very generous and the billikens likey get a sweetheart rate compared to the acts that they bring into the arena that arent billiken sporting events.  saint louis university also wouldnt have to staff the employees to run events and possible are out of any maintenance issues as well.   just depends how their lease reads.   remember, saint louis university is in the business of education not running an event arena.  imo thats a win for everyone.   

SLU_Lax likes this

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont know the specifics.   my guess is the total of what saint louis university gets for the total lease is very generous and the billikens likey get a sweetheart rate compared to the acts that they bring into the arena that arent billiken sporting events.  saint louis university also wouldnt have to staff the employees to run events and possible are out of any maintenance issues as well.   just depends how their lease reads.   remember, saint louis university is in the business of education not running an event arena.  imo thats a win for everyone.   

Thanks again B’Roy.

14 hours ago, Soderball said:

No they've spent money, they just spent it on the wrong things like CTF and the some fancy office space rather than spending it on NIL funds and rotating the coaching position.

Noone gives a damn about the old country buffet at the chaifetz. They want a salary. Donors can't put their name on a salary so donors hate those and buy worthless buildings that have upkeep costs instead.

Fair enough, but the admin has been talking a good game and have lacked ambition to fulfill it since I became a fan in the late 80’s. Billiken Basketball should be one of the hottest tickets in a metro of three million folks that hasn’t had the NBA since 1968, but alas.

13 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Roy, are you basically saying that the company that leases the arena is leased by idiots willing to lose money?

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

Roy, are you basically saying that the company that leases the arena is leased by idiots willing to lose money?

come on old guy, just because slu gets favorable dates and rates doesnt mean that for the other maybe 300 available dates that the lessor doesnt make out very well plus i never said that the billiken dates are losers.   the fact this arrangement have been ongoing for years tells me it is likely a win win for both parties.   the billikens get to schedule their preferred dates and a very reasonable rate and the lessor gets to lease the remaining dates and manage a very very nice arena for concerts, lectures, whatever.  

SLU_Lax likes this

43 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

come on old guy, just because slu gets favorable dates and rates doesnt mean that for the other maybe 300 available dates that the lessor doesnt make out very well plus i never said that the billiken dates are losers.   the fact this arrangement have been ongoing for years tells me it is likely a win win for both parties.   the billikens get to schedule their preferred dates and a very reasonable rate and the lessor gets to lease the remaining dates and manage a very very nice arena for concerts, lectures, whatever.  

If I representing the leasing company, I would try to get SLU to move the rest of their games to the Rec Center, if they could get better drawing shows where the tickets weren't mostly giveaways.   

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

I did not think the concept was difficult.  SLU's specialty is not running an arena.  We "outsource" to a third-party that is more efficient both at managing costs and maximizing revenue.  It is a win-win.  The arena is still in excellent condition for its age and appears to me to have been well maintained.  It hosts a large number of events and seems to be well managed.  I lack all details of the agreement, but from a distance it appears to have been a good one.  I doubt SLU could have done as well trying to self-manage (not meaning that as a negative comment, just recognition that event and arena management is not the school's specialty).

22 hours ago, CenHudDude said:

Don’t have to when they have The Family Arena to borrow from the town of St. Charles.

1 hour ago, SLU_Lax said:

I did not think the concept was difficult.  SLU's specialty is not running an arena.  We "outsource" to a third-party that is more efficient both at managing costs and maximizing revenue.  It is a win-win.  The arena is still in excellent condition for its age and appears to me to have been well maintained.  It hosts a large number of events and seems to be well managed.  I lack all details of the agreement, but from a distance it appears to have been a good one.  I doubt SLU could have done as well trying to self-manage (not meaning that as a negative comment, just recognition that event and arena management is not the school's specialty).

Outsourcing the complete arena makes no sense - outsourcing the operations does.  The issue here is Roy is saying we are treated no different under the outsource agreement then anybody else except for right of refusal for keeping dates open and that we pay rent.  As I said, we are still paying the bonds of why would we pay any amount for rent - that is us double paying.