Head Men’s Basketball Coach

With last night’s game, we are now #222 in the NET rankings, moving slightly ahead of LaSalle (#223) for lowest ranked team in the A10. 

For those who think that Travis Ford should be retained as head coach, I have a challenge: Please state the reasons based on his performance over the last 8 years as head coach why you think he should be retained as head coach based on his performance over his tenure in clear, concise logical terms without personal attacks on other people posting here.

For those who think that Travis Ford should be replaced as head coach, same challenge: Please state your reasons for wanting a change based on his performance in clear, concise logical terms without personal attacks on the people posting opposite views.

In my view, based upon the amount of money he is paid and the lack of success in getting to the NCAA tournament over the years, we need a change. It’s purely about us not getting results based upon the money he is paid and the financial support the University gives him relative to our A10 opponents.  After 8 years he has had plenty of time to advance the program, yet here we are, back where we started.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He hasn't lost the team.  They are playing hard and when we have everyone healthy, we aren't terrible.   No reason to take any action in-season.   

The 8th year argument isn't the most compelling one to take out Ford.   Programs got up and down.  Spoon had some great teams and some pretty poor ones, for example.  The most important factor is what does the future look like.  Are we winning recruiting battles?  Are players getting better once they are in the program?   Are players leaving for better opportunities?  How are we trending in comparison to other schools in the conference?

The answer to all of these questions appears pretty bleak right now.   Could this team get on a run?  I guess that's possible.    (BTW no critique towards these players.  Love to all these guys.   They play hard and represent the school very well.  Not their fault)  

So assuming we are .500 or worse in the 2023-24 version of the Atlantic 10, and who we will be replacing and what we have coming in, I don't see a compelling case why he should be retained.  

Hope I'm wrong.   

1 hour ago, OkieBilliken said:

He hasn't lost the team.  They are playing hard and when we have everyone healthy, we aren't terrible.   No reason to take any action in-season.   

The 8th year argument isn't the most compelling one to take out Ford.   Programs got up and down.  Spoon had some great teams and some pretty poor ones, for example.  The most important factor is what does the future look like.  Are we winning recruiting battles?  Are players getting better once they are in the program?   Are players leaving for better opportunities?  How are we trending in comparison to other schools in the conference?

The answer to all of these questions appears pretty bleak right now.   Could this team get on a run?  I guess that's possible.    (BTW no critique towards these players.  Love to all these guys.   They play hard and represent the school very well.  Not their fault)  

So assuming we are .500 or worse in the 2023-24 version of the Atlantic 10, and who we will be replacing and what we have coming in, I don't see a compelling case why he should be retained.  

Hope I'm wrong.   

1. That’s like the bare minimum of a head coaches job, not lose the team. 
2. It absolutely is, if he had made the tournament last year we wouldn’t be having this discussion. As it stands we will no longer be receiving NCAA Tournament residuals from ‘19. That’s a big time problem.

3. The future doesn’t look all that bright on the recruiting trail, reaching on international players with questionable eligibility. 
4. Everyone has down years, but with the disparity in resources, there is absolutely no excuse to be at the bottom of the a10 in standings or NET.

the only argument I have for Ford is program stability and with the most recent off-season, consistent injuries, eligibility issues, lack of NCAA residuals I don’t know how stable this program is right now. 

I believe with Sincere Parker at full strength playing 30+ minutes, we win last night's game. 

We almost beat Dayton the #1 A10 team and top 21 team AWAY and we beat St. Joseph's (Arguably the #2 team in the A10) after being down 20 points. 

This is a different team with Ezewiro, and a healthy Parker (plus a healthy meadows/thames) than the team we all saw when we were wanting Ford fired. I'm willing to give the Coach a few more games before I judge considering the results of the last 2 games.

Edited by SLUMedBilliken15
MB73 likes this

12 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I believe with Sincere Parker at full strength playing 30+ minutes, we win last night's game. 

We almost beat Dayton the #1 A10 team and top 21 team AWAY and we beat St. Joseph's (Arguably the #2 team in the A10) after being down 20 points. 

This is a different team with Ezewiro, and a healthy Parker (plus a healthy meadows/thames) than the team we all saw when we were wanting Ford fired. I'm willing to give the Coach a few more games before I judge considering the results of the last 2 games.

What if I told you that Dayton’s starting PG is out for the season? What if he’s healthy and plays 25 minutes. I’m of the mindset that conditioning your team and keeping them healthy is major part of which a coach(ing staff) is judged. That and overcoming injuries. 

BillsThrills likes this

2 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

This is a different team with Ezewiro, and a healthy Parker (plus health meadows/thames) than the team we all saw when we were wanting Ford fired. I'm willing to give the Coach a few more games before I judge considering the results of the last 2 games.

St. Joe’s is 1-3 in conference and tied with SLU for 11th place. So, them being the 2nd best team is very arguable.

I think it’s time to make a change but nobody fires their coach mid season unless there are serious infractions.  You have to let the season play out to prove it’s time.  I don’t see how we can win more than 5-6 remaining games, that even seems to be a stretch.  

Everyone keeps mentioning the team hasn’t quit, that’s really not a quantifiable measurement.  Like I said, you have to let the season play out to see what happens.  What is quantifiable are W vs L’s and empty seats by years end.  And 1 NCAA tournament in 8 years for $2.5M a year.  

Ford has more resources than any SLU coach and most, if not all, in the A10.  The results don’t match the investment.  We’re at the point OSU was 8 years ago.

11 minutes ago, TRN said:

St. Joe’s is 1-3 in conference and tied with SLU for 11th place. So, them being the 2nd best team is very arguable.

The results don’t match the investment. 

Argue all you want, but they are second in Kenpom right now. (Their A-10 record may not be great, but their A-10 sample size is low)

I agree with you that the results don't match the investment. I don't necessarily think we should keep Ford next year.  Now is just an odd time to post this thread as the results of the past 2 games would be considered good in my opinion. Of course we want to win last night's game. but even a good top 25 team cant expect to win every away game vs a top 25 team with a great game day atmosphere. BTW the Dayton atmosphere was awesome last night. I wish we had that level of fan engagement honestly. 

Edited by SLUMedBilliken15
CenHudDude and BillsThrills like this

2 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

Argue all you want, but they are second in Kenpom right now. (Their A-10 record may not be great, but their A-10 sample size is low)

I agree with you that the results don't match the investment. I don't necessarily think we should keep Ford next year.  Now is just an odd time to post this thread as the results of the past 2 games would be considered good in my opinion. Of course we want to win last night's game. but even a good top 25 team cant expect to win every away game vs a top 25 team with a great game day atmosphere. BTW the Dayton atmosphere was awesome last night. I wish we had that level of fan engagement honestly. 

And we are second to last. 

I know the point of the thread isn’t really this, but how much better of a team is SLU really with Brad? Offense is better, defense is still horrendous, and all this results to 2-4 with him in the lineup. 

1 point win over LA Tech

12 point loss to NC State

7 point loss to Loyola

12 point loss to George Mason

3 point win over Saint Joe’s 

5 point loss to Dayton. 

3 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

I know the point of the thread isn’t really this, but how much better of a team is SLU really with Brad? Offense is better, defense is still horrendous, and all this results to 2-4 with him in the lineup. 

1 point win over LA Tech

12 point loss to NC State

7 point loss to Loyola

12 point loss to George Mason

3 point win over Saint Joe’s 

5 point loss to Dayton. 

I did Say Brad AND Sincere....

But whatever... I'm happy to post something we all agree on...

We aren't great now. Hopefully our trajectory is up for the remainder of the season and GO SLU!

Just now, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I did Say Brad AND Sincere....

But whatever... I'm happy to post something we all agree on...

We aren't great now. Hopefully our trajectory is up for the remainder of the season and GO SLU!

This coaching staff should be thanking their lucky stars that Brad is eligible. Signing him expecting him to play was out of pocket.

JMM28 likes this

49 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-since it hasn't been mentioned, we sure needed another thread 

They bring it up in every thread, they started a “grassroots movement” thread so they could unite in one place and get the coach fired. Check out their billboard on Hwy 40. They are a no excuse group, but state every chance they get that the staff should get on their knees and be grateful for a fortunate break. Most posters won’t touch them. They don’t want to be chastised for having an opinion. Maybe instead of going off on anyone who doesn’t sing the fire Ford narrative you guys could fill us in on your movement to fire him? Assume  Dr. C spoke to you guys when he was in town. How did that go? I know, I’m a Ford fan because I’m related to Ford or a friend of the family or some guy on twitter that’s not me. The truth is I am none of these so start with something else this time when you go off. 

Shocked that @DOC who for sure just isn't a Ford fan chimed in here.  

Any ever notice him reminisce about SLU teams of yesteryear?  

Being positive here, DOC, Maria et al will be able to watch Ford coach in person, in KY, at Berea soon. That'll be great and that lil scamp Shane will be there too!  

21 minutes ago, DOC said:

They bring it up in every thread, they started a “grassroots movement” thread so they could unite in one place and get the coach fired. Check out their billboard on Hwy 40. They are a no excuse group, but state every chance they get that the staff should get on their knees and be grateful for a fortunate break. Most posters won’t touch them. They don’t want to be chastised for having an opinion. Maybe instead of going off on anyone who doesn’t sing the fire Ford narrative you guys could fill us in on your movement to fire him? Assume  Dr. C spoke to you guys when he was in town. How did that go? I know, I’m a Ford fan because I’m related to Ford or a friend of the family or some guy on twitter that’s not me. The truth is I am none of these so start with something else this time when you go off. 

Out of genuine curiosity into the retain ford side of the equation - what are your main driving factors for wanting to stick with Travis?

2 hours ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

There are 0 top 30 Ken Pom teams in the A10 right now. 

There is 1 top 80 Ken Pom team in the A10 this season. 

If the league isn’t good (the league isn’t good), and if the league is the 12th or so best league, the expectation is league domination. 

And it’s not just about 1 season. 

………………

Not once has SLU won 70% or more of its league games the past 8 seasons. The only 3 times SLU has done it in the last 18 seasons since joining the A10, were the 3 seasons I listed above. And the A10 was a better league at the time when SLU did it.

It’s also why dominating a good or top level or P6 league is all the more impressive when it happens. And it’s why dominating your league matters more in weaker leagues and it matters less in P6 leagues.

……………

SLU had KenPom teams of:

14, 19, and 35 a decade ago. (By comparison Dayton is currently 33)

SLU has had 0 top 50 KenPom seasons in the past 8 seasons including this one. They have had 1 top 60 season in that stretch.

Isn’t a reasonable goal to try to be top 40 almost annually in KenPom? (You used KenPom here) And mix in even better seasons than that once in a while. There will of course be a few to some that aren’t those things.

If SLU was 33 in KenPom they would have a better atmosphere too. 

…………..

There’s no need to remove a coach during a season except for extreme circumstances. 

…………..

SLU’s record vs Dayton and VCU the past 8 seasons:

5-12 vs Dayton. (This year is potentially Dayton’s 2nd NCAA team in that stretch)

2-9 vs VCU (VCU has 4 NCAA Tourneys in the past 8 seasons.

JMM28, stmdragons and Bizziken like this

11 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Being positive here, DOC, Maria et al will be able to watch Ford coach in person, in KY, at Berea soon. That'll be great and that lil scamp Shane will be there too!  

I’m a 40 year season ticket holder. Wrong again and again and again. 

10 minutes ago, gabriel said:

Out of genuine curiosity into the retain ford side of the equation - what are your main driving factors for wanting to stick with Travis?

I believe Ford has been given enough time and if they fire him I am ok with that. My problem is with how the haters have taken control of the board with their constant, repetitive, tireless attacks. It’s ridiculous, but they always have an excuse for bringing it up. No excuses for anyone but them. It’s become a clown show. 

16 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I can’t say it bothers me that you have lost  every ounce of credibility (outside of your little frat) with the board. 

1 minute ago, DOC said:

I believe Ford has been given enough time and if they fire him I am ok with that. My problem is with how the haters have taken control of the board with their constant, repetitive, tireless attacks. It’s ridiculous, but they always have an excuse for bringing it up. No excuses for anyone but them. It’s become a clown show. 

Why do you have to repeat yourself so much? 

So tiresome. Not much going on in Radcliffe these days.

4 hours ago, DOC said:

“Ford Haters” aren’t taking over the board. It’s just that 95% of the board is sick and tired of the losing and the excuses. The same posters have been posting for years it’s not a bunch of randos signing up to bash Ford.

The coach of a basketball team is an important topic in most discussions. Coaches are second guessed in every sport. Read any baseball or football team board after a loss and a majority of the posts are going to be questioning the coach/manager. It only seems over the top because they are losing more than winning. 
IMO Ford and the Bills underachieved big time last year but the board had less coaching complaints because they won more than they lost. 

If they can run off 4 or 5 wins in a row the coaching critiques will slow down.

1 hour ago, DOC said:

I’m a 40 year season ticket holder. Wrong again and again and again. 

You got PAYSTUBS for that?

1 hour ago, DOC said:

Ah yes the haters. The haters!

No excuses needed here: FIRE TRAVIS FORD! I honestly don't care what he does on the court. Fire him today, fire him yesterday, fire him tomorrow. Fire Ford.

1 hour ago, DOC said:

I can’t say it bothers me that you have lost  every ounce of credibility (outside of your little frat) with the board. 

Well i guess you wouldn't know, having never had any credibility. Shouldn't you be making some burner accounts and harassing fan podcast people? Make sure to use a burner phone this time too.

20 minutes ago, Soderball said:

You got PAYSTUBS for that?

Ah yes the haters. The haters!

No excuses needed here: FIRE TRAVIS FORD! I honestly don't care what he does on the court. Fire him today, fire him yesterday, fire him tomorrow. Fire Ford.

Well i guess you wouldn't know, having never had any credibility. Shouldn't you be making some burner accounts and harassing fan podcast people? Make sure to use a burner phone this time too.

I wouldn’t even know how to create a burner account. Remember, you guys said I don’t know how the internet works. You just keep the lies going about me. I admit I am a fan of the new billboard though. Keep up the good work.