Head Men’s Basketball Coach

48 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Once again: It's rumored that his contract has an auto extend clause that renews every year until cancelled by either party. So an example would be every year he has 4 years left on his deal until CMay balks. Best case scenario is Chris enacted this clause after last season. So this season + 3? If he has 5 years left best case scenario is 4 years on the 

IF this is accurate, how can SLU allow Chris May to keep his job? This is one of the dumbest contracts in all of sports right now. Like who thought this was a good idea and who was “stealing” Travis Ford away from SLU? He under performed at OK State, had every bell and whistle, had resources in another galaxy compared to SLU…so who thought this would end any different? Chris May? Yet, Ford needed new locker rooms, more charter flights, built CC, and what’s been that ROI? Program is in bad shape right now and literally almost broke. If Chris May was in real business world would he keep his job handing out a contract like this? I really do not get it at all and would love someone to give a good defense on behalf of Chris May and whomever else approved this contract. Imagine paying a mediocre basketball coach $2.5 million a year and then having to give him $7-9 million to just leave after being terrible at his job, then turning around and telling that guys former boss, hey fix this for the third time please, we trust you. This is insanity. 

Schasz likes this

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking you are going to have to go deeper into your depth pool. There will be about 7-8 open jobs in the power 6 that will pay 2.5 plus. To get the guy you want it will cost $3 mil a year. Add the enormous buyout and this becomes a difficult proposition, especially if boosters are paying part of Ford’s salary. A few guys are going to be asked to pony up a lot of money. I’d say look at your 5-6th pick for who we’re going to get. I’m also not sure why a guy, who’s proven he can build a mid-major would leave for another mid-major project.  Only way you do that is if you’re going somewhere that has a ton of nil money, is going to pay you handsomely and has a history of going to the dance. Get in, make a sweet 16 run and you’re on your way. 

If true, I doubt May enacted last year after spewing his patented 20 win nonsense.  Prevailing thought on here is best case scenario CTF has 3 more years?

I understand no MBMs have an exact idea of the contract, but I’d like having an idea of when we can move on

We went thru this before. I don't believe anyone on the board with the exception of billikenswin knows what his contract status is. Rumors are rumors. Maybe right but most turn out to be wrong. My gut tells me he would not have been extended last year if even extended before. 

billikenfan05 likes this

19 minutes ago, willie said:

We went thru this before. I don't believe anyone on the board with the exception of billikenswin knows what his contract status is. Rumors are rumors. Maybe right but most turn out to be wrong. My gut tells me he would not have been extended last year if even extended before. 

This is what I want to know, is Ford Informed of when its not renewed?  A good agent would have that info included in contract.  And once it has been not renewed, and if Ford knows that, Does Ford turn his attention to what his next chapter will be, and not so much towards SLU for the next few years. That's why issue with the contract.  Once we stop renewing, why would Ford care about SLU for the next 5 years?   If I'm 54, my wife comes from money, I've made 40m+, I'm showing up like Peter Gibbons for the next few years. 

All the people who think we can't afford to move on from Ford are not factoring in the lost revenue piece if you keep him.  Instead of losing a couple of hundred season tix renewals you will be probably looking at 1000 or more especially if this season spirals even further out of control.  This doesn't even factor in the loss of concessions and parking money that will accompany this.  You can say well give the tix away and the concessions and parking money will be replaced - the problem with this is it is hard to give tix away even to youth groups if nobody has an interest.  The loss of the season tix holders also means a loss of Billiken Club memberships.  Also, once you lose a season tix holder you probably are not getting them back ever.  At this point I am seriously considering dropping my season tix for next year if Ford returns - I have had tix for 44 years so this is not a decision I make easily.  My point is that the overall health of the program will take years to recover if that even happens - I suggest that getting rid of Ford is not a difficult decision to make if you care at all about Billiken Basketball future.  Too much is at stake to keep him but then again people often make decisions that are contrary to their own best interest when they are short sighted.  

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

All the people who think we can't afford to move on from Ford are not factoring in the lost revenue piece if you keep him.  Instead of losing a couple of hundred season tix renewals you will be probably looking at 1000 or more especially if this season spirals even further out of control.  This doesn't even factor in the loss of concessions and parking money that will accompany this.  You can say well give the tix away and the concessions and parking money will be replaced - the problem with this is it is hard to give tix away even to youth groups if nobody has an interest.  The loss of the season tix holders also means a loss of Billiken Club memberships.  Also, once you lose a season tix holder you probably are not getting them back ever.  At this point I am seriously considering dropping my season tix for next year if Ford returns - I have had tix for 44 years so this is not a decision I make easily.  My point is that the overall health of the program will take years to recover if that even happens - I suggest that getting rid of Ford is not a difficult decision to make if you care at all about Billiken Basketball future.  Too much is at stake to keep him but then again people often make decisions that are contrary to their own best interest when they are short sighted.  

I dont know if we lose more money with keeping Ford around cause simply I have no freaking idea, but ya, the offset in costs at the very least make the payout more manageable. Also there's a few great coaches out right now that are...cheap.  

29 minutes ago, willie said:

-I sure hope your gut is right

45 minutes ago, willie said:

I’m aware we did this song and dance and didn’t mean to open up this can of worms but as I think about life after Travis it is the most important thing

49 minutes ago, willie said:

SLU only discusses contract matters under the Cone of Silence…

1 hour ago, willie said:

The tricky thing with Billikenswin is they haven’t logged in since December. So doubt us lowly posters will be hearing contract details anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, johnbj14 said:

The tricky thing with Billikenswin is they haven’t logged in since December. So doubt us lowly posters will be hearing contract details anytime soon. 

True.  Admittedly least active I’ve been in years

2 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Heard you the first 100 times

So you agree that May should be fired so he can't hire the next coach?

slu92 likes this

12 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

So you agree that May should be fired so he can't hire the next coach?

I figure they won't fire both - May can chair the search team - I am hoping only 2-3 people.  He just doesn't get to make the call alone.  Get some basketball people on this small group.  

18 hours ago, cheeseman said:

You could also do a bloodless revolution / Oakland A’s fans type of “reverse boycott.” Show up to the last home game en masse, and then make the “Fire Ford” chants so loud that May can’t run or hide from it. Oakland sports fans have this down to a science. 

22 hours ago, wgstl said:

This is what I want to know, is Ford Informed of when its not renewed?  A good agent would have that info included in contract.  And once it has been not renewed, and if Ford knows that, Does Ford turn his attention to what his next chapter will be, and not so much towards SLU for the next few years. That's why issue with the contract.  Once we stop renewing, why would Ford care about SLU for the next 5 years?   If I'm 54, my wife comes from money, I've made 40m+, I'm showing up like Peter Gibbons for the next few years. 

He has to know if it is renewed or not.  I think that this is a contract provision that appears a lot in sports.  The team can decide it is not renewing a five year auto renewing contract, so now the contract is down to four years.  Then the next year they decide to not renew again, and it is down to three years.  In that situation, if the coach wants to stay at the institution and not be fired, he has to step it up. If he shows his employer that he's worth keeping they can always still renew the following year and reset the clock back to five years.  I do not necessarily think that it results in a coach quitting on the university when they don't renew.

TheChosenOne likes this

23 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

He has to know if it is renewed or not.  I think that this is a contract provision that appears a lot in sports.  The team can decide it is not renewing a five year auto renewing contract, so now the contract is down to four years.  Then the next year they decide to not renew again, and it is down to three years.  In that situation, if the coach wants to stay at the institution and not be fired, he has to step it up. If he shows his employer that he's worth keeping they can always still renew the following year and reset the clock back to five years.  I do not necessarily think that it results in a coach quitting on the university when they don't renew.

Correct.  But If you're Ford, the thought is your AD no longer believes in you, that's just the reality.  Yes winning help's, but not having the support also makes things tougher.  Its why the contract was incredibly stupid.  Telling someone in any profession that they wont be bringing you back in x amount of time just leads to unproductive work

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Correct.  But If you're Ford, the thought is your AD no longer believes in you, that's just the reality.  Yes winning help's, but not having the support also makes things tougher.  Its why the contract was incredibly stupid.  Telling someone in any profession that they wont be bringing you back in x amount of time just leads to unproductive 

the AD could pause the auto renewal and then reinstate if CF meets certain goals.  kinda like being put on "warning".  no one else would even know

1 minute ago, Dr Bird said:

the AD could pause the auto renewal and then reinstate if CF meets certain goals.  kinda like being put on "warning".  no one else would even know

No one else instead of the coach, which is the only person that matters.  I know this is all possible to do, but you're still telling Ford he's not coming back as of now. At this point Ford(and you can tell by his recruiting, mannerisms etc.) is thinking about his next chapter.

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

No one else instead of the coach, which is the only person that matters.  I know this is all possible to do, but you're still telling Ford he's not coming back as of now. At this point Ford(and you can tell by his recruiting, mannerisms etc.) is thinking about his next chapter.

I think he's flailing trying to save himself he's just incapable. I don't think he's not trying to win because he knows about the contract or hot seat or whatever. I think he can't coach, he's not good at navigating the new NIL/transfer world and he's terrible under pressure. Think about it, if he was good under pressure he'd have more than 1 NCAA win in 27 seasons. That's the most pressure and he's way under achieved.