2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

Perfect pick for me is Mack but I don't see that.  I would like to see Schertz come over and bring Avila, Kent, and Conwell.  Offer Tate to stay on board to keep the pulse on St. Louis which also helps with players we want to stay.  I like a lot of our guys and would like to see what a gameday coach could do with a few more pieces.

BLIKNS likes this

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Scoop said:

Perfect pick for me is Mack but I don't see that.  I would like to see Schertz come over and bring Avila, Kent, and Conwell.  Offer Tate to stay on board to keep the pulse on St. Louis which also helps with players we want to stay.  I like a lot of our guys and would like to see what a gameday coach could do with a few more pieces.

For what reason? He hasn't kept his finger on the pulse the last 24 months. We have neglected both Zyree Collins and Luke Walsh. 

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

How do you know that?  We offered them first.

The way I learn about everything else. We have a small and passionate community of Billiken fans who all share information here and other places, then I cross reference. Also one of my closest friends is @Pistol who has his finger on the pulse of our recruiting activity. 

I don’t have concrete certainty on Zyree. But I’m 100% on Walsh.

Joe Dooley's name hasn't been mentioned... think he interviewed when Ford was hired... I don't think Dooley moves the needle much though...

24 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The way I learn about everything else. We have a small and passionate community of Billiken fans who all share information here and other places, then I cross reference. Also one of my closest friends is @Pistol who has his finger on the pulse of our recruiting activity. 

Walsh is interested in attending SLU? Or does he want to go away for college, which may explain more recent lack of interest from SLU?

31 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

That's too bad on Walsh.  He's is a solid mid-major recruit based on what I've seen so far.  Somebody that could give you 10 min a game as a freshman.  Zyree would be the 6th man on this team.

Was tongue and cheek... I think Dooley's name was also mentioned when Crews as named Coach

11 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

Was tongue and cheek... I think Dooley's name was also mentioned when Crews as named Coach

It was mostly when we were speculating on who would replace Crews. He had won 21+ games in 3 seasons at FGCU and just taken them back to the NCAA Tournament in 2016 when Crews was fired. I've never really been a fan, and he's been bad at ECU.

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

In fairness to Crean, he won 2 Big Ten championships there and went to 3 S16s. He's done better there than anyone not named Robert Knight. 

He still wouldn't be a good fit for what SLU needs now. 

Not advocating for him but why would he be a bad fit? 

57 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

For what reason? He hasn't kept his finger on the pulse the last 24 months. We have neglected both Zyree Collins and Luke Walsh. 

Tate knows everyone when it comes to hoops in StL.  Good guy to keep.  In my opinion, Walsh is Nick Kramer 2.0.  

Crewsorlose likes this

9 minutes ago, Scoop said:

Tate knows everyone when it comes to hoops in StL.  Good guy to keep.  In my opinion, Walsh is Nick Kramer 2.0.  

Does he?  Or did he?  Seems hes no longer connected or not so much anymore. 

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The high school talent in the St. Louis metro area has been solid but unspectacular in the last two years.  That's not Coach Tate's fault.

Agree this is not the golden era for STL talent. Go back to the Beals and Lee years. Then the Tatum and Love period. The Goodwin-Gordon time. Don’t seem to have the big names of past years. 
I do feel that a guy like Carawell, a STL native, might have some success locally. Still the key is the size of the NIL checkbook. The problem with Ford is those who manage the fund don’t have faith that he’ll use it wisely and/or lacks the skill to coach the talent or develop it to the level needed to become a top program. 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Zyree would be the 6th man on this team.

that's hard for me to believe as i have become so disapointed on our point guards on this team.   turnovers has been the achilles heel for this season and one has to believe if he approaches his older brother's ability to be a point guard he would fix that problem or at least decrease it.   so to say he would be 6th man means he couldnt oust either one of our point guards?   

i admit i havent seen him play, so i cant comment beyond the above, but i have more confidence in your player takes than anyone on this board.  

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

that's hard for me to believe as i have become so disapointed on our point guards on this team.   turnovers has been the achilles heel for this season and one has to believe if he approaches his older brother's ability to be a point guard he would fix that problem or at least decrease it.   so to say he would be 6th man means he couldnt oust either one of our point guards?   

i admit i havent seen him play, so i cant comment beyond the above, but i have more confidence in your player takes than anyone on this board.  

Zyree is more of a combo guard.  But considering Medley's offensive struggles and Meadows' health problems, he's probably an upgrade at the point.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

The high school talent in the St. Louis metro area has been solid but unspectacular in the last two years.  That's not Coach Tate's fault.

This is going to sound mean but this is a business. If he’s not scouting, or recruiting outside St. Louis and there’s nobody to recruit in St Louis:

388D159E-FCE0-44FC-859B-953090842997.gif

17 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This is going to sound mean but this is a business. If he’s not scouting, or recruiting outside St. Louis and there’s nobody to recruit in St Louis:

388D159E-FCE0-44FC-859B-953090842997.gif

Tate is also our lead juco recruiter.  Parker is our leading scorer.  I don't think Tate's recruiting is even in the top 5 of our problems.  A new coach will most likely bring in his own staff anyway.

Tate is a good guy. He did his job here. But things just aren't the same in terms of recruiting. And while bringing in all these St Louis guys is fun, it just doesn't seem to matter on the court. Maybe an actual coach fixes that but just give me the 8 best players you can find

24 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Tate is also our lead juco recruiter.  Parker is our leading scorer.  I don't think Tate's recruiting is even in the top 5 of our problems.  A new coach will most likely bring in his own staff anyway.

He couldn't find us a JUCO big man with 40 minutes to give?

VeniceMenace likes this